Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I recently replaced my holder assembly but kept the old one. I'll order the part from you and fix it as a spare.

Say, the rear cup holder in my ex's 2007 broke at the bottom part. The "T" shaped piece that moves down to support the bottom of the cups came out completely. Figured someday I'd buy a 3D scanner and printer and make a new one. Can you tackle this too?
I will take a look at it this weekend. Modeling it wont be an issue but I have to take a look at how it will print.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I tried to push mine in and turn it to pull it out so I can put it back in flush....
It wont push in like the video on my 2007 Base Sky

Are you sure it removes the same on the SKY's?
I used butter knives to get mine out. I slid the blade under where each of the four tabs contacts the console and gently nudged them over their detentes. It's delicate work because you can easily mar the console finish.

I don't think it will pop out like in the video because my ex pushed hers into the console somehow. I mean, it went straight in. Was sitting about 1/4" inside the console lip.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Correction. I finally removed my ex's by pushing the rear of it in, and then rotating it out by the front. I'm now ordering two of the arms via email to repair both of our cars' cup holders. :)

I used butter knives to get mine out. I slid the blade under where each of the four tabs contacts the console and gently nudged them over their detentes. It's delicate work because you can easily mar the console finish.

I don't think it will pop out like in the video because my ex pushed hers into the console somehow. I mean, it went straight in. Was sitting about 1/4" inside the console lip.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Regarding the "T" shaped piece of the rear cup holder, the piece that moves down to support the bottom of cups, any luck modeling this? I now have that bit in my possession and will post pictures as soon as possible.

I will take a look at it this weekend. Modeling it wont be an issue but I have to take a look at how it will print.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Here are the photos of the "T" shaped lower part of the rear cup holder. It seems to break off at the middle of the "T". Unfortunately, I don't have the broken off part, which is still attached to the car.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
I have two spares at home. If someone is willing to model them I can print them in nylon.

If you talk with Chickenwire he has been doing modeling for us. He has the skills and tools.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Rob the Elder, a while back Riven02 mentioned he could model it. Maybe you two could work together on this "T" part.

I'll ask Chickenwire about it as well.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Riven sells parts. I don't. I suspect if he goes to the effort to model it he will want to sell them on ebay. If I get a model I will print all you want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gents - I can try to work on this but I'm a bit back-logged right now. I'll see if I can pop mine apart in the next week or so to reverse engineer it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd be glad to buy from Riven on ebay!

In the meantime, I'll see what I can do about getting you a model. Is there a file format that you prefer?

Also, I left PM for chickenwire over on the Solstice forum. I asked him to check on this topic.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
I tried to push mine in and turn it to pull it out so I can put it back in flush....
It wont push in like the video on my 2007 Base Sky

Are you sure it removes the same on the SKY's?
Solstice and Sky all share the same cup holder. They are identical for 06 through 08. The 09 cup holder is different but can be installed in any year if you either remove the forward console and install from the back or if you cut off the lug for the mounting screw. The 09 cup holder is held in position with a single screw so it cant be pushed into the forward console and become stuck inside. To insert it from the outside without removing the forward console I have cut the lug off and it mounts the same as any earlier cup holder. The other modification is the sliding curved arm has a tang on the end that prevents over travel which is the bane of all earlier cup holders. As they wear, they develop clearance issues and over deploy until the curved arm either jams and breaks off part of the retention slot or they just fall out of the cup holder. I have been modifying the gear set on the older cup holders to prevent over travel and have successfully repaired them and returned to service.

The facts about cup holders
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...-why-i-love-my-cupholder-new-discovery-74560/

The key to operating your cup holder successfully is to pinch it when closing and never push it into the forward console.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Rob the Elder, a while back Riven02 mentioned he could model it. Maybe you two could work together on this "T" part.

I'll ask Chickenwire about it as well.

I looked into this but didnt find a way to print it that I was happy with. The layer lines have to run in a poor direction. I didnt think I could make it strong enough to want to sell it to anyone. It can absolutely be printed but I just wasnt sure it would last long.

What I really should do is print one and keep it in my car for awhile and see how well it holds up.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I may end up running an CNC machine in the future. From what I've been told, it'll mill plastics. Wonder if that'd be an option. I also could ask to be put on the one that mills aluminum.

I looked into this but didnt find a way to print it that I was happy with. The layer lines have to run in a poor direction. I didnt think I could make it strong enough to want to sell it to anyone. It can absolutely be printed but I just wasnt sure it would last long.

What I really should do is print one and keep it in my car for awhile and see how well it holds up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I modeled and 3D printed some replacement parts for my Solstice and later found that many others had the same issue (Broken Cup Holder Arm).

So I started offering these for sale on the solstice forums, but figured I would expand and offer them to a wider audience.

I only print them in PETG. I know some would prefer ABS, and I have some in ABS, but they warp too much for me to be comfortable selling them. I want to make sure you guys get a part that fits.
I print them with 100% infill, slow, and hot for durability. Although the original design doesn't leave room for much reengineering to make it stronger. PETG is known for being fairly flexable, and so far mine have held up well.

PETG doesnt vapor smooth as it is very chemical resistant. So you will see some layer lines but they are fairly faint at .2mm.
In the images you can see the top and sides are pretty smooth. The bottom requires support material and is rougher.

I currently sell the arm and the bottom cover/retainer.

You can see the assembly instructions in my Youtube Videos.

To order the parts, you can PM me on here, or email my wife at [email protected]. She is handling all of the logistics. I just model and print. Either way we will send a PayPal invoice.

Pricing
Arm - $15 Domestic $20 Canada
Cover - $10 Domestic $15 Canada

I will combine shipping for multiples.

If you would rather go thru eBay I have them listed on there also, but they are a bit more expensive as they take an additional cut.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332375415417?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332375419158?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

·
Registered
2 Posts
I modeled and 3D printed some replacement parts for my Solstice and later found that many others had the same issue (Broken Cup Holder Arm).

So I started offering these for sale on the solstice forums, but figured I would expand and offer them to a wider audience.

I only print them in PETG. I know some would prefer ABS, and I have some in ABS, but they warp too much for me to be comfortable selling them. I want to make sure you guys get a part that fits.
I print them with 100% infill, slow, and hot for durability. Although the original design doesn't leave room for much reengineering to make it stronger. PETG is known for being fairly flexable, and so far mine have held up well.

PETG doesnt vapor smooth as it is very chemical resistant. So you will see some layer lines but they are fairly faint at .2mm.
In the images you can see the top and sides are pretty smooth. The bottom requires support material and is rougher.

I currently sell the arm and the bottom cover/retainer.

You can see the assembly instructions in my Youtube Videos.

To order the parts, you can PM me on here, or email my wife at [email protected]. She is handling all of the logistics. I just model and print. Either way we will send a PayPal invoice.

Pricing
Arm - $15 Domestic $20 Canada
Cover - $10 Domestic $15 Canada

I will combine shipping for multiples.

If you would rather go thru eBay I have them listed on there also, but they are a bit more expensive as they take an additional cut.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332375415417?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332375419158?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
I need want a cup holder arm for my Saturn Sky. Please tell me how to get it?.

·
Administrator
7,121 Posts
Riven02 hasn't been on the forum for 3 years, so probably not from him.

The OEM cupholders show up from time to time. mostly on eBay, but they are getting pretty expensive.
There is an aluminum version being made, do a Google search for the Santana Cupholder. Also expensive.

·
Registered
628 Posts
He's been selling them on eBay for years now. Oddly I can't find them at the moment. He may just have the link down as he restocks. He also prints a seatbelt holder as well that he still has listed. Here is a link to his items for sale. Just check back later and see if he relists the arms.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts