Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead: :banghead: An article from the U-C Fullerton newspaper destoys my faith in higher eduction. It includes the quote:

"Saturn continues to try and compete with other major manufacturers with a top-end model, falling short last year with the Redline, and possibly repeating the failure with the Saturn Sky, a two-door convertible with a similar body style to any Cadillac."

Feel free to share your opinion with the feedback section at the bottom of the article!!

Here's the link:

http://www.fchornet.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/10/12/434dd2cceeddb?in_archive=1

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I think it's funny to be honest!!! I mean, this is one critic, right? Let the SKY hit the streets and eveyone will see for themse'ves that it doesn't resemble a Cadillac at all, and, the notable affiliation of a Saturn having anything to do with a Cadillac should be considered an insult? This is the kind of controversy GM needs to stay in the game!!!! The population in the United States (from my experience, and I travel) still have no idea what a Saturn SKY even is, let alone how it looks or performs. This may create more of an interest.

I assume that we're referring to Fullerton, California, and for that matter, better for me!!!! I WILL BE ONE OF THE LUCKY FEW TO BE DRIVING AROUND, AND I WILL MAKE MY WAY TO FULLERTON... IN THE EVER LOOKER, SATURN SKY. Kapische?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here's what I wrote:
Look *******,
170 HP for lightweight roadster is pretty decent. Besides, where is the 139 lb/ft of torque on the Civic's 2.0L engine? Waaaaaay the **** up at the 7800 RPM redline. Where is the *162 lb/ft* of torque on the 2.4 L ecotec in the Sky? 90% of it is available *from a dead stop*. That means that from a red light, the Sky could easily get a head start on the civic. And unless you drive in a straight line, chances are the Si will need to slow down to take turns, because the Si has an inferior suspension and comes with smaller, lower-grade tires. There's more to a car than just it's horsepower rating, like torque and handling, which the easily Sky trounces the Honda on. Oh, and did anyone point out to you that it's a convertible?
Chris
IT Management
San Diego

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Look, I'm telling you, this is not something to get worked up about. This is one person's opinion and if he/she is uninformed, then I suppose it could be addressed. It's obvious this person doesn't have all of the facts. Remember, this column is not Car & Driver or Edmunds. Fullerton is a fairly small town made up of mostly industrial businesses.

·
Registered
185 Posts
MotorMitch said:
"Saturn continues to try and compete with other major manufacturers with a top-end model, falling short last year with the Redline, and possibly repeating the failure with the Saturn Sky, a two-door convertible with a similar body style to any Cadillac."
Uh... OK. :rolleyes:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
The only way we (who know the truth) are likely to get a Sky is if there isn't a big long line up for it. I'll show people what the car can do when I get it. Besides I'm buying it because it looks good and it's affordable. Of course it isn't a BMW or any of those other $100k+ cars.

He sure seems to make it obvious that he doesn't like Saturn. Quite a knock against Saturn. Notice he makes no mention of the sister car (Solstice). The car is what it is. Compitition to the Miata market. I have to say I wish they had put in a few more horses to beat the Miata though.

Remember if you can't do... be a critic! :cheers:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Correction: it's California State Fullerton, not University of California Fullerton... the UC kids are much smarter than the CSUs :)

(<< Recent UC San Diego grad)

MotorMitch said:
:banghead: :banghead: An article from the U-C Fullerton newspaper destoys my faith in higher eduction. It includes the quote:

Feel free to share your opinion with the feedback section at the bottom of the article!!

Here's the link:

http://www.fchornet.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/10/12/434dd2cceeddb?in_archive=1

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey Saturn is changing, Slowly...

I agree with Dante, they goofed a little on last years redline. This years ride could have used a boost in power but they worked out the interior kinks. The sky is a new generation.. and you certanly have to give it a chance.

You know what pisses me off the most - Saturn is going to be sharing it's platforns with Vauxhaul. If this was the Vauxhaull lightning and not the Saturn Sky this dummy would be singing a different tune because they have been making "better" cars a lot longer.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some people have a bigger soap box, doesn't make them any smarter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I also sent the rag a feedback to point out that Cadillac's styling across their product line is anything but homogeneous, as implied in the writer's statement about "looks like any Cadillac." The Sky has an edginess that the Caddy roadster has, but equating the Sky and Caddy's styles just because of that is like saying the Healy and the Jag XKE were basically the same because they both were "curvy." Anyone who can view the SKY and the Caddy roadster and get confused as to which is which, probably shouldn't be out in the street unattended. The Sky clearly is better looking than the Caddy roadster, in my opinion. This writer , I wager, will eventually start
tearing his hair out everytime he hears another guy remarks on how attractive the Sky is and what a wonderful car it is. Anyone want to bet that the writer will continue insisting to people that the car is a dud? He'll find
something trivial (like storage space, never a strong point of two seat roadsters of any era) and play it to high heaven, claiming it to be of critical importance, etc. I know how these bozos work. I've seen enough of them in my day.

·
Registered
438 Posts
This Dante dude is a jerk! He argues his pont like a little kid...no use even responding, let the "sky" do the talking for us! :cheers: :lol:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Let me disect...

article said:
Saturn continues to try and compete with other major manufacturers
Is he trying to imply that Saturn is a small manufacturer? Last I looked, it was a division of the largest automobile manufacturer in the world. He is either incredibly biased against GM/Saturn (probably) or not very well informed (also possible).

try and compete with other major manufacturers with a top-end model
When I think of a top end automobile, I think of cars such as the BMW 6 series, Mercedes SL55 AMG, and Cadillac XLR. Apparently, he thinks it is any sporty car that crosses the $20K price point.

falling short last year with the Redline
The biggest problem with the Ion Redline is that it is hard to get consumers to set foot in one because the press ripped apart the 2003 Ion for it's small bumper car steering wheel and center mount guages. The wheel is gone, and the center guages are a plus in Scions and Minis, but I guess it is not acceptable for GM. The Ion Redline paid for it, but it is a rather fun, sporty, and functional vehicle (especially with the rear mount doors).

and possibly repeating the failure with the Saturn Sky
Did he see the car? Does it look like an Ion Redline to him?

a two-door convertible with a similar body style to any Cadillac.
Again, did he see a Sky? I am beginning to wonder. Or maybe he hasn't see a Cadillac. I bet he wouldn't mind if Mazda made a roadster that looked like a little more like a Jaguar (one of Ford's premium brands).

The Sky pales in comparison to all other high-end cars with a 2.4 liter DOHC and a pathetic 170 horsepower
Again, what are high end cars to this guy? Is he comparing it roadsters in it's price range (Solstice, Miata), roadsters costing thousands more (S2000, Boxster)?

which, for the Noobs (if you don’t know what that is, then it’s you), is 27 horsepower less then a Honda Civic SI
Ah, I see. A Honda Civic Si. I should have known when he said "High End" that he meant a hot rod version of Honda's econobox.

If his criteria for a good car is the HP, then someone should point out that the high end Civic Si he loves to compare to a rear drive roadster just happens to be 8 HP shy of the Ion Redline, which is in it's class, and which he just got done calling a bust. :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Please tell me this is the same guy! The title fits perfect! :D

Be the Biggest Loser of All
by Dante Yore

One of the best aphrodisiacs I have found is not being scared.

Women are like bees--they smell fear. They can tell while you are approaching them whether or not you are confident. It's like this sixth sense that God has given them.

So what is the answer?

Learn to fake confidence.

The easiest way to do so is to get your feet wet. See confidence is like a hot bath, you don't just jump right on in. You get your feet wet and slowly get into the tub. The funny part is somehow, when you finally get all the way in, the water doesn't feel as hot as it first might have.

Meaning it is not a bad thing to get turned down by any woman you approach. Sure it hurts a little bit, but you are getting your feet wet. Slowly building up your confidence.

My friends and I came up with a foolproof way to project confidence -- Fail!

Go to a bar with some of your single friends and instead of trying to come out as the big pimp of the night, see who can come out the biggest loser.

My friends and I will actually go into a bar and have a competition to see who can get rejected the most, all throwing in $20 to the winner.

The funny part is it backfires!

Because we are walking up to women expecting nothing more but to fail, we approach them fearlessly. We are not scared of rejection because we are trying to obtain it.

We actually get more phone numbers at the end of the night doing this then when we actually try to get the number the old fashioned way.

You become fearless, no longer caring about getting rejected because, either way, you come out a winner.

Corny pickup lines or being a complete a$$hole seem to all payoff. Women actually sense the fact that you are not scared of them and become turned on and attracted to you. Women figure if a man is not scared of rejection, he must not be rejected very much. This makes you a challenge.

And women actually start hitting on you.

Dante Yore

·
Registered
727 Posts
:lol: Now that is a funny article! Yep, I think that is our man.

So maybe he really likes the Sky, and that is why he trashes it so bad. That way, when he finally does drive it he is sure to like it because his expectations going in were so low. :D

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
ishot3bucks, I think it is the same guy.

The article you posted is pretty crass.... but... from back in da' day... the approach works. I think the reasoning he provides is kinda
, who knows why the approach works :lol:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Something tells me this guy knows a lot about rejection. :D

Let him drive his Honda and blend in with the five zillion other Hondas on the road. We'll be the ones turning heads...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Fformula88 said:
You may not want too many Sky haters. Resale would be horrible, and GM would end up just cancelling the car after a couple years.
I'm thinking Sky haters will change their tunes once the cars hit the street. For now, though I'll be happy with less competition to get one early in the year.

·
Registered
727 Posts
reedred said:
I'm thinking Sky haters will change their tunes once the cars hit the street. For now, though I'll be happy with less competition to get one early in the year.
I am sure some will change their tune, but I bet there won't be any shortage of Sky enthusiats either. Look at all the comments from people who have criticized the Solstice, but there is certainly a long enough line at Pontiac dealers to get one.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts