Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Sky that was suppose to be hear in a couple of weeks back in July....according to our salesman:banghead: Was built on 7/18 and as of 7/31 it is at code 4000 available to ship...:eek: Please somebody load my car on the freakin train:mad: at this rate it is gonna be snowing here in the Midwest before it arrives:nono:

Done ranting for awhile......going crazy....:willy:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey OLDMX4 -

Where in MO are you? I'm in St. Louis...ordered mine thru Lou Fusz. Well, I put my deposit down on it. Who knows if it's ordered yet.

Curious to knwo where in MO you are and what dealership you went thru.

Joe

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
OLDMX4 said:
Our Sky that was suppose to be hear in a couple of weeks back in July....according to our salesman:banghead: Was built on 7/18 and as of 7/31 it is at code 4000 available to ship...:eek: Please somebody load my car on the freakin train:mad: at this rate it is gonna be snowing here in the Midwest before it arrives:nono:

Done ranting for awhile......going crazy....:willy:
Try tracking it yourself. posted USMC Post about tracking.

tracking the shipping process

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spent a good time of my day following some advice from, once again, our friends at the SOL forum. I discovered that there is a way to track your Sky thru the rail system all the way to your local railyard IF its being shipped via Union Pacific Railroad.

step by step--- (this took me a few hours)

1- find out from your dealer what trucking company transports the cars from the trainyard to the dealership.

2- call the trucking company and (being super super nice) tell them you have a car being shipped from GM to your local dealer and that you would like the "railcar" number. This is tricky because they are not supposed to talk to the general public. If they won't help you you can ask your dealer to call and get the railcar number for you. you will need you entire VIN number to get the railcar number. So if you don't have the entire VIN, don't bother calling or bothering your dealer. If you don't already know, you can ask the trucking company which train company the use. In my case, it gets to final destination by union pacific.

3 - take that railcar number and goto the union pacific rail site. They have online trace capability. Very similiar to tracking a UPS or fedex package.

4- do the trace-- bammo!!! It will tell you the status of the railcar. I'm not sure yet how often the UP site is updated. My last entry on the site trace is 5/13 and today is 5/15.

5- When the railcar gets to lordstown, the cars are offloaded and wait for the appropriate train going in your direction. when they are loaded back on a railcar... its a different railcar with a different number.
so, for myself... the last info I have is that its at lordstown. They don't show an updated railcar number yet for me so its safe to assume its still sitting at lordstown.
when its reloaded, I will get a new railcar number to trace.

a little more info---

When you go code 4200, that means that your car was picked up from the plant and began shipping to Lordstown, OH. In Lordstown, you sky joins the rest of the GM clan (cobalts, etc..) and waits for another train to head out in your direction. The train shipper from lordstown is CSX.

Through my searching, I found that my railcar is not in UP's possession yet but still in the possession of CSX. The UP trace site is linked to CSX's so it showed me the status even though CSX has the car.

I called CSX just to see if they could give me more detailed info, like when they plan on leaving lordstown and I found that CSX won't tell you a thing! They are very tight lipped.

the next part is for people out WEST----
Once your car is loaded back on to the railcar, CSX will take it to the Chicago area. In my case, Bensenville, IL. In Bensenville...Union pacific takes possession of the railcar and it will finish the trip via UP all the way to Cali.

in short-- CSX= plant to lordstown to chicago
Union pacific = from chicago to Cali
local trucker = from UP railyard to dealer.

My situation for you to compare---

my car "shipped" 5/9 which means it went from the plant to lordstown.

the same day, it went code 4800 which means it was unloaded at lordstown, awaiting a full load out west possibly??

today is 5/15 and my railcar shows "empty" and sitting in lordstown. so its been 6 days and its still in OHio.

I understand that the trip from the plant to chicago is the longest part, once UP takes possession, its a straight shot to CALI... about 5-7 days.

then it can sit at the railyard for 48 hours. I believe they have 48 hours to get it off the train and on a truck out of the railyard.

If you are not out west, then you may have to just call the appropriate shipping companies and try the same thing I did. Be courteous to everyone you talk to, cause if they help you, they are doing you a huge favor.

Good night, and good luck
Stubby Antenna
coming soon-dual exhaust,headers,CAI,ECM tune

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by usmc : 05-16-2006 at 01:05 PM.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info:thumbs:

Dealer has not given us any kind of VIN number yet ?
So we are kind of at the mercy of them:banghead: for tracking.

Bogs, we are in Central Missouri and I do not want to announce on this forum what Dealer for I think someone from there reads this forum. We did contact Lou Fuz , but did not go thru them...we would of been 101 on their list:eek: So we found another Dealer without a list:thumbs:
Now we just wait...:banghead:

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
OLDMX4 said:
Thanks for the info:thumbs:

Dealer has not given us any kind of VIN number yet ?
So we are kind of at the mercy of them:banghead: for tracking.

Bogs, we are in Central Missouri and I do not want to announce on this forum what Dealer for I think someone from there reads this forum. We did contact Lou Fuz , but did not go thru them...we would of been 101 on their list:eek: So we found another Dealer without a list:thumbs:
Now we just wait...:banghead:
Ask your dealer for the Vin # and to get the rail car number.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts