Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please tell me this cannot be. I talked to my salesman today and he said my Sky is on target and should arrive sometime the end of July or first part of August. He went on to say I would probably not be able to take delivery of it for 3 to 5 or 6 weeks after it gets here because they have to keep one to show and cannot let me have it until the next one comes in. He said they will also have to let people drive it, but they will be extremely careful with it and will not put more than 150 - 200 miles on it!!!! He is dead serious. I have never heard of such a thing and am very upset. I do not want people driving MY car. Can this possibly be right? Has anyone heard of this? Is there anything I can do about it? Someone who knows, please, I need advice. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

·
Registered
266 Posts
SkyRae said:
Please tell me this cannot be. I talked to my salesman today and he said my Sky is on target and should arrive sometime the end of July or first part of August. He went on to say I would probably not be able to take delivery of it for 3 to 5 or 6 weeks after it gets here because they have to keep one to show and cannot let me have it until the next one comes in. He said they will also have to let people drive it, but they will be extremely careful with it and will not put more than 150 - 200 miles on it!!!! He is dead serious. I have never heard of such a thing and am very upset. I do not want people driving MY car. Can this possibly be right? Has anyone heard of this? Is there anything I can do about it? Someone who knows, please, I need advice. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Wow...your deposit and order...I would think it is your car when it hits the ground...what to do?:eek:

·
Registered
266 Posts
HotSky said:
I'm sure he is just playing around with you. Have a sense of humor.
If that is the case he's got a lousey sense of humor...or you've got a few months to get even:D

·
Registered
482 Posts
HotSky said:
I'm not sure he is playing around with you. If you were not informed of this practice in advance as others have been.....WALK.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Maverick said:
I'm not sure he is playing around with you. If you were not informed of this practice in advance as others have been.....WALK.
A tough choice...but Maverick has a point

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, he is not playing around. We were there the first day a Sky arrived in Houston. They told me I could carefully drive it around the block is all because, while they were not supposed to sell it, a guy had talked them into selling it outright to him, but agreed to leave it for a month until they could get another one to show. I think they have now gotten themselves into a domino affect of not having a car to show unless they keep one they've sold. That is not my problem! I'm just wondering if they can legally do that and how I go about fighting it. If I go somewhere else, I go to the end of the line and won't get it until December or 2007.

·
Registered
540 Posts
SkyRae said:
start calling around and find a dealer with ethics! If they are willing to do this to you what else will happen???? I know you want the car bad - but you want a NEW car. Texas has a lot more Saturn dealers!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sounds like C-R-A-P to me! I would never go for this -- especially since you have a manual and if I remember right, the breakin period for the Sky manual is the first 500 miles -- that is when you want to be SURE that YOU are driving it the best you can... not that some stranger is driving the heck out of it, knowing that it's not their's. They say they will be careful with it, but how can you know? It's not like you will be along on the test drive (although that would be interesting, LOL). The least he could do is give you a price break, which I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be willing to do. Check with the GM at your dealership, if he backs up your salesman then call Saturn Corporate...if they are not willing to do anything, there is always the other channels that have been discussed here for other wrongdoings (local TV news, newspapers, BBB, etc.)... but basically you have to decide if you are willing ot take a car that other people have driven and pay full price for it or if you want to wait even longer for it... and that is your decision to make. Good luck! Let us know how things turn out :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just read the other post where someone had a problem with the dealer doing demos with their car. I'm not giving up, though. I want my Sky, so I intend to fight!! I won't have it driven by other people either even if I have to go to another city to buy it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I can only tell you, my point of view/experience. I have NEVER got the car I really wanted, I have always settled. :banghead: This time I am not settling, I am getting the car of my Dreams.

So it was very, very important to me that the whole experience be the best it could possibly be.

So when the first dealer started priming me to pay over MSRP. I split there.

When the second Dealer told me they could not order a car specifically for me, and that the only way they would not load it up with extras, was if I pay for it in advanced. I 86'd them as well.

The third dealer would not commit to not loading it up and would only say they had a few people with deposits on there list when I later found out they had there whole allocation reserved.

Finally people on the list were talking about a dealer 420 miles away that was acting like a Saturn Dealer. I put a deposit down with them and they have been fantastic, I have not got my car yet, but I am sure they are going to make it a fantastic experience. To me it is worth it not to put up with :bs: and not to rationalize it is okay to be treated poorly because I want my car now.

I am holding out for a Redline so I know I won't get my car until October or November. Some time the wait drives me :willy: :crazy::willy:

However, I look at like this.

1) I am going to have the car a long time and will have plenty of chances to drive it with the top down. It is not like this the only summer I will have a chance.

2) There are only going to be 10,000 built this year. That averages 200 a state not counting the ones that are going to go to Canada. CA and Texas will probably get more maybe 250 to 500 each? So by the time I get my Sky I will still enjoy all the awes and oohs from people who never seen it before.

For me the quality of the experience is more important then timeliness of the experience. :D

As for your situation I would offer to pay for it when it comes, once you pay for it, they cannot keep it. Do not sign in writing to allow them to keep the car. I do not know legalities, but I personally would not have a problem letting them think they are going to keep it to complete the sale and then say Oops! I changed my mind.

They want to act like that ---- them!

·
Registered
295 Posts
they kept my sky at the showroom for 4 days till another showed up but it sat right in front of the managers office window in the showroom..no one was allowed to drive it...ive had it for 9 great days now...its worth the wait

BLACK ONYX
TAN TOP
TAN/BLACK LEATHER INT
MONSOON 6 DISC CD
LIMITED SLIP
AUTOMATIC LIFE SAVER IN I-4 TRAFFIC
SPOILER
CHROME WHEELS

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
My dealership STARTED with that policy...

They had the special "dealership" car that they sold to somebody out of state, which was buttoned up, inside, and not allowed to be driven. Then they had a "decline" that they were using as their demo car. Mine came in with several others, and they delivered the "dealership" car to the out-of-state buyer... But they still had the "decline" car for test drives and as a tease.

When I went back, they were all gone. All of 'em. Not a SKY to be seen on the lot. So the dealer CAN sell all the cars, and clear them off the lot - if they want to. So something must have made them willing to part with all the cars. Hmmmm... What could that have been? Think... Think... Think...:willy:

I've got it! Try this: say to the dealership "Look, I want the car now. I'll pay an extra (insert price that you are willing to pay here) if you let me take it off the lot right now." Or, try "I would just be so pleased if you, Mr. Salesguy, let me take it home right now, I'd slip you a $100 cash tip. I'll slip a C-note to your manager, too, jf you need to buy him off. If you don't, you can keep his $100 too as a tip for truly excellent service."

Try it. Is it worth $200 to get it right now? For me it was worth a lot more than that, and I don't regret any of it. Don't go to the war with the dealership - they have the car. Slip 'em a coupla extra bucks, and drive away shouting, "SUCKERS!" because now YOU have the car!

:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think my dealer is going to want to keep my car around only because it will be the first redline.. But it will be inside the showroom with the doors locked and the top up! The car in the showroom right now that is sold that is open 24/7 and people come all the time in there and sit in it.. I don't like that feeling. But people can fawn over my car all they want :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
ahhhh done with sky - previous thread

SkyRae said:
just posted response to thread ahhhh done with sky. same story i'm on page 3 of responses..think you can pull up my name and read it..not going to rant again... unbelieveable.... people need to get together here and support each other.....i'm thinkin if hmmmmmmmm how many email that dealership and express dissatisfaction and support for you... i would !!. hahaha nastygrams..can be polite.. thats a lot of nerve letting strangers drive your car the 1st however many miles they can put on it before it legally can not be sold as a new car..... serves no purpose as anyone serious will order it./buy it .. without driving one - i did...& plenty others.........you deserve to be the one burning new smell off motor and responsible for "breakin" on your car.... i think if they can get away with that they will and no doubt salesmen will be takin it to lunch and having a ball raggin it..some might drive it nice but its the principle...your car is your car...... lord they should be beggin you to rope it off and let them lock it in the showroom - THAT is TOO much to ask.........imo...... you ordered waited and on delivery -should be yours- no foolin around !! best defense is strong offense there should be a thread listing dealership email addy's and their district manager and corporate...those that intend to pull that stunt... let those of yall waiting offer a piece of mind.. a lil support couldn't hurt...maybe enuff and turn the tide......

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
HotSky said:
Not a joke, some Dealership's tried to do this with the Solstice. Call GM, I think they called the dealership and took care of it.The person ,I believe, if I remember right got there car when it came in.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
That was the same policy at my dealer, too...had to agree to keep the car their until the next one came in. However, since the SKYs started coming in, I have noticed that the longest amount of time that any one Sky sat on the dealership floor, was maybe 3 or 4 days. I will only be able to pick up my car on a Saturday, so when mine comes it will most likely sit on the floor for a bit until I can get over there to get it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
They tried to pull that crap with me--but weren't even going to tell me. THey kind of had to when they realized a few days before I was supposed to pick it up that it had 450 miles on it. I threw an absolute FIT, called Spring Hill and the dealers parent corporation. Then they tried to sell me a different car, I wouldn't budge. I was actually talking S-U-E because they had run my credit and arranged financing for this car--it was at that point F-R-A-U-D because it was NOT a new car. One that they had my deposit on for many months.

That made them take notice, and they found me the same car. I had to beat the crap out of them verbally for a week, I just refused to back down. My leverage was that they same parent company owns a Toyota dealership right next door, and when we were looking at buying a Prius from them a year ago, they had one on the lot that was already sold, and wouldn't even let us turn it on, let alone take it for a test drive. We were allowed to sit in it with the salesman just to get a feel for the comfort level. I threw that in the VP from the parent corp's face several times. I was a ranting lunatic, I was so pissed it wasn't even funny. In the long run I got what I wanted.

Dig your heels in and don't be afraid to get in their faces. Tell them about the SKY in Atlanta that was totaled by the employees of the dealership--if the employees can total a vehicle, having Joe Schmuck from the local trailer park take it out for a spin could do so as well.

Anne

·
Registered
319 Posts
That is TOTAL BS!

If it is your order, not from dealer stock, than it is YOUR CAR! I would start with a nice sit down with the manager of the dealership, then the owner if that doesn't help. In each meeting, make sure you let them know that Saturn will be hearing of this.

Through the whole thing, make sure you never lose your cool. If you do that, they will never back down.

If the car is dealer stock, then they control when it can leave the premises. If it is your order, then it was made for you, and the dealer is really just handling the transaction.

You could always contact the papers, or you local TV station's "Problem Solver" group. They love this kind of S*%T, as it makes them feel important - why not exploit that if necessary? (I will stop myself before I rant about the state of local news on TV - I am a former local news crew member who quit due to the bullS*%T atmosphere.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts