Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could've sworn i've posted this before, but i guess not... I was looking on the saturn.com site and there is a section where you can compare the sky to other popular roadsters... but if you notice, it says the Sky comes standard with "hands free, voice activated phone" :eek: excuse me? what is this??

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
OnStar has a vioce calling feature...it is cool but most people will probably just use their cell phones.

The good thing about it is that if you are long distance and roaming there are no additional charges...you can buy minutes in bulk and if you are calling the house next door or Hawaii you just use minutes...you don't pay extra. So when I am Long Distance I think I will use it...seems cool but I have not tried it out yet.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
101jinx101 said:
oh sweet! so it's basically like a pay-as-you-go car phone? :D that's cool.
If you go to the On-Star website you can read the details on the plan, if you already have Verizon you can just add it to your existing plan and use it like your normal cell phone.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
As a Verizon user and living near Chicago -- That actually looks good to me -- as we can't drive in Chicago using a cell phone, unless it is hands free.
Adding to my current package is $9.99 a month... Caller ID ? Rick's Car :cool:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
As a Verizon user and living near Chicago -- That actually looks good to me -- as we can't drive in Chicago using a cell phone, unless it is hands free.

Wonder if you can tie in your cell phone to the hands free system somehow.. hummm

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
wakebord99 said:
Wonder if you can tie in your cell phone to the hands free system somehow.. hummm
As far as I can see either getting service via OnStar or Verizon and OnStar is the only way -- would be nice to integrate your current cell into teh car (same number and such) ... But right now I am not aware of any.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
As far as I can see either getting service via OnStar or Verizon and OnStar is the only way -- would be nice to integrate your current cell into teh car (same number and such) ... But right now I am not aware of any.
Another big point you get with the onstar system, you will get another acoustic fabric panel in the top.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
So no blue tooth or wireless.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:

WOW...... WE CAN TALK.. AND TALK.. AND TALK....... WE ARE "IN"... hehehe.. i got verizon too.... but, we have our allotted 5 on our plan... thinking of getting another one.. so our 2 new cars can be added...... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
wakebord99 said:
I know of Bluetooth -- but I don't think it works w/OnStar... Of course you could Blue tooth it all and by pass OnStar completely... I was just commenting on using the system as it exists...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Where in Canada are you located, as I too am a Canadian Sky purchaser.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
SolSky_Designs said:
Another big point you get with the onstar system, you will get another acoustic fabric panel in the top.
since on star is standard on the sky you get that anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
wakebord99 said:
It IS wireless... :cheers: The microphone is at the bottom of the rear view mirror and the sound of the caller's voice comes from your stereo's speakers... :thumbs: even better; plus it has more wattage so the cell phone in the car will reach farther and will get a signal in places the regular handheld will not... :eek:

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Chloe said:
Where in Canada are you located, as I too am a Canadian Sky purchaser.
If that was directed at me I am from Regina...good ol Saskatchewan. Prime Convertible Territory

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sky Dealer said:
It IS wireless... :cheers: The microphone is at the bottom of the rear view mirror and the sound of the caller's voice comes from your stereo's speakers... :thumbs: even better; plus it has more wattage so the cell phone in the car will reach farther and will get a signal in places the regular handheld will not... QUOTE]

Yeah, but i'm already payin 100 a month for my cell phone, don't really feel the need to add another monthly bill for the same exact function. oh well..

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
wakebord99 said:
Sky Dealer said:
It IS wireless... :cheers: The microphone is at the bottom of the rear view mirror and the sound of the caller's voice comes from your stereo's speakers... :thumbs: even better; plus it has more wattage so the cell phone in the car will reach farther and will get a signal in places the regular handheld will not... QUOTE]

Yeah, but i'm already payin 100 a month for my cell phone, don't really feel the need to add another monthly bill for the same exact function. oh well..
the phone usages is not a monthly bill, you pay for like 30 minutes and then you have a year to use it....you just buy more when you need more, we probbly will when we go on trips.

·
Registered
326 Posts
During hurricane Rita (the one after Katrina) a lot of people in Beaumont were without land lines & cell phones. My neighbors wife evacuated (we live near Houston) & went to outside of Beaumont. After the storm he could not contact her due to the phones being down, he was very suprised to get a call from his wife later, she used On Star telephone. it worked out very well for them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
twirp said:
During hurricane Rita (the one after Katrina) a lot of people in Beaumont were without land lines & cell phones. My neighbors wife evacuated (we live near Houston) & went to outside of Beaumont. After the storm he could not contact her due to the phones being down, he was very suprised to get a call from his wife later, she used On Star telephone. it worked out very well for them.
Is this a satilite based system, or tower?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
wakebord99 said:
Is this a satilite based system, or tower?

SATELLITE..... 6 x's stronger than regular cells..... SkyBaby-07

1 - 20 of 25 Posts