Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
This thread has intrigued me so much I sent the following question to Crutchfield:

QUESTION: "Looking for a speakers just for the doors that would improve the overall sound. Keeping the stock head unit. Is there something specific about looking for speakers that will play nice with the factory head unit?"

ANSWER: "Thanks for the email. So there are a number of things to look for when pairing a speaker with a stock radio, but the main thing is the speakers sensitivity. This is how low a speaker can get given a specific amount of power and is measured in db. The higher the better and anything over 90db is what you would be looking for to run well on a stock radio.

That's not a guarantee though, there are plenty of very high end speakers with high sensitivity that would sound awful on a stock radio. So you would also want to look at the speakers minimum listed power. If its 5 watts or more it will struggle on a stock radio. Problem is many companies don't list minimum wattage since none one wants to print a low wattage on their box as the common misconception is more power the better.

Kickers are a good example of speakers that run well on stock power, the 43CSC654<https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC654/Kicker-43CSC654.html?tp=78072> would fit your front doors and sound great. They don't list the minimum wattage so its a bad example there but we have used these on countless stock radios and always had good luck with them."

·
Registered
174 Posts
The very first Axxess integration adapter I put in this car would flatten the battery in about a week--as in, totally dead, no crank, no lights, nothing. If you're still using that and you don't need OnStar, I'd highly recommend you get the updated non-OnStar model. It's cheaper than a replacement battery, anyway. :grin:

The ASWC-1 is a pain to get working the first time, but mine is working fully and hasn't lost its programming or given me any issues since I installed it. I even disconnect the battery during the winter months now and as soon as I reconnect it everything is as normal.
I'm getting the AGM type battery next time. I understand it can be deep cycled without damage. I used to put deep cycle marines in all my cars but the AGM has more sizes available.

I live in Texas. What's this "winter" thing? Is it coming? :lol:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Looking for a sound system and all I saw was old news. Wondering if there was a newer solution, thanks.
I know you have gotten a huge amount of opinions. This is just my opinion and mine only and let me preface it with "I'm not an expert". I replaced my head unit with a Kenwood unit (certainly not the best or the most expensive one) and I was very pleasantly surprised by the increased quality of the sound and the increased volume without distortion I got. My unit has Bluetooth, Pandora, I Heart Radio, Sirius and others. It plays music from a USB stick and most of all looks good IMO.

Terry
:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
What's this "winter" thing? Is it coming? :lol:
I wish we didn't have winter...…….. I would love to drive my car year round.

Terry
:cheers:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just replaced the radio in mine and used the aswc-1 module. It was a pita to get working and it ended up being because for some kenwood radios they recommend unplugging the 3.5mm during programming and then plugging it in. Did that no problems since.

To agree with many replacing the head unit has been a huge upgrade with the monsoon system. Sounds better and can hear it with top down doing 80 on the highway.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What about adding a replacement for the subwoofer, and adding a power amp for the subwoofer using the existing Monsoon amp.
Certainly can be done. You'd need to run an 8 or 10 gauge power line from the battery to the new amp. Easiest way to send it input signal would be to use the monsoon's high-level output lines that originally powered the subwoofer. Otherwise, make RCA connectors by splicing into the low level input lines from the head unit. If you have an aftermarket head unity, you could also run an RCA cable from the head unit to send input to the new amp.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just finished installing a Kenwood DNX996XR head unit in my Sky. I also followed the path blazed by Mike Martin and installed a dash cam and a reverse camera. It wasn't especially difficult but I haven't managed to successfully program the steering wheel control integration yet. I have very minimal mods on my car but I just couldn't stand the orange text in the factory radio any longer. Couldn't read it at all with the top down. The new Kenwood has sat-nav, carplay, sirius/xm, the works. It a very nice upgrade and I'm very happy with it so far.

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
Remember...if any one wants to change the coloring of your LED readout...all u need is another face plate ONLY from another GM car....as long as they are identical radios. Just the face plate is needed...not the entire radio

41 - 49 of 49 Posts