Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I’ve been absolutely dying to see a Sky up close and personal. My central Texas dealer did not have a floor model, so after a few phone calls I trekked up to north Texas. My first stop was Saturn of Lewisville. There she was….a Sky like no website can show her. I thought maybe when I saw one up close I would decide I didn’t have to have one after all. But that wasn’t the case.

I hopped into the Sky, closed my eyes and visualized myself on open road with the wind blowing through my hair, my sunglasses reflecting all of the oohs and ahs I was sure to experience. Then reality hit. I asked to listen to the radio. Alas, the “sales” person had no key – sliding it into the ignition was against the rules. My pleasure only hit a small speed bump. Then I hopped out to do a full 360-walkaround admiring this piece of work. Asked to pop the trunk so I could see just how much that small box would slow my thrill. Alas, no can do so says the “sales” person. My roll is slowing…but I continue on with the questions I came to ask real-time. But the answers are a surprise.

First I am warned that the payments are really high (?) – way to sell, Mister. Then I’m told the really great car is the Aura. I don’t budge, but I stare at him unblinkingly. Then I’m told I wasn’t even supposed to be sitting in the car; they normally keep it locked. On the sales floor? That isn’t what I was told when I phoned prior to my visit. My reply is that I have never purchased a new car without a test drive, but considering doing on the Sky; however, I would NEVER purchase a car without benefit of at least sitting behind the wheel. I’m getting pissed. I quiz him on base price, and instead of getting an answer, he goes into this long tale about how this car sells for $33k, yet it is used (has 1109 miles on it); but his dealership was willing to pay this to get the floor model (?). Then he lets me know that they do not get any Skys that are not loaded with all options. I then ask what system this dealership uses to order the Sky’s, how long the wait list runs, etc. I’m flat out told that they do only first-come, first serve sales, with no ordering available. He goes on to say that if any dealership has told me they can “order” my Sky the way I want it, the dealership is lying to me.

I would never consider a Saturn if the Sky wasn’t on their sales floor. Yet, I’ve heard over the years about the customer experience Saturn delivers. All I can say is that if this is indicative of Saturn’s customer service, I am underwhelmed. When I phoned the dealership the next day to complain about Johnny Baker, the “sales” person, I’m told he has the highest sales in the dealership. Go figure. It’s not that I was walking into the dealership expecting a Sky to be waiting for me to drive off….I simply wanted to experience the car as best I could to make a decision whether this car was worthy of all of the red tape required to park it in my driveway. I was turned on by the car, but completely and totally turned off on my Saturn experience, or more specifically, the unfortunate “sales” associate I happened upon.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Okay. I’ve been absolutely dying to see a Sky up close and personal. My central Texas dealer did not have a floor model, so after a few phone calls I trekked up to north Texas. My first stop was Saturn of Lewisville. There she was….a Sky like no website can show her. I thought maybe when I saw one up close I would decide I didn’t have to have one after all. But that wasn’t the case.

I hopped into the Sky, closed my eyes and visualized myself on open road with the wind blowing through my hair, my sunglasses reflecting all of the oohs and ahs I was sure to experience. Then reality hit. I asked to listen to the radio. Alas, the “sales” person had no key – sliding it into the ignition was against the rules. My pleasure only hit a small speed bump. Then I hopped out to do a full 360-walkaround admiring this piece of work. Asked to pop the trunk so I could see just how much that small box would slow my thrill. Alas, no can do so says the “sales” person. My roll is slowing…but I continue on with the questions I came to ask real-time. But the answers are a surprise.

First I am warned that the payments are really high (?) – way to sell, Mister. Then I’m told the really great car is the Aura. I don’t budge, but I stare at him unblinkingly. Then I’m told I wasn’t even supposed to be sitting in the car; they normally keep it locked. On the sales floor? That isn’t what I was told when I phoned prior to my visit. My reply is that I have never purchased a new car without a test drive, but considering doing on the Sky; however, I would NEVER purchase a car without benefit of at least sitting behind the wheel. I’m getting pissed. I quiz him on base price, and instead of getting an answer, he goes into this long tale about how this car sells for $33k, yet it is used (has 1109 miles on it); but his dealership was willing to pay this to get the floor model (?). Then he lets me know that they do not get any Skys that are not loaded with all options. I then ask what system this dealership uses to order the Sky’s, how long the wait list runs, etc. I’m flat out told that they do only first-come, first serve sales, with no ordering available. He goes on to say that if any dealership has told me they can “order” my Sky the way I want it, the dealership is lying to me.

I would never consider a Saturn if the Sky wasn’t on their sales floor. Yet, I’ve heard over the years about the customer experience Saturn delivers. All I can say is that if this is indicative of Saturn’s customer service, I am underwhelmed. When I phoned the dealership the next day to complain about Johnny Baker, the “sales” person, I’m told he has the highest sales in the dealership. Go figure. It’s not that I was walking into the dealership expecting a Sky to be waiting for me to drive off….I simply wanted to experience the car as best I could to make a decision whether this car was worthy of all of the red tape required to park it in my driveway. I was turned on by the car, but completely and totally turned off on my Saturn experience, or more specifically, the unfortunate “sales” associate I happened upon.
I put my name on their list over two months ago after I went by on my lunch break. The salesman told me to help myself. No pressure, just let me open and close as I chose. This guy must have been having a bad day. :nono: You can't continue treating customers like that and maintain a good customer service rating.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Find different dealer

You should check around Dallas.... Saturn of Arlington seems to be getting a lot of Sky's...Check em out. Ernest will soon have 2 Sky's from that dealer and customed to his liken. I called them and they seem to be very knowledgeable and curtious. However, I'm not from TX and can't drive over there.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :willy: :willy:

Same thing here... I sent an email Sunday Sept 3rd to the sales manager at my dealership excited about Jill Lajdziak's announcement that as of Sept 1st Sky Red Line's will begin shipping to retailers. And that I would be stopping in to go over my order to ensure it was correct and to ask some questions. The new sales door greeter went into the sales mgr's office and returned quickly. He informed me the sales mgr got my email but was busy getting ready for a meeting and would call me. That was at 10:30 AM and it is now almost 3:15PM and no call.

If the dealership treats folks so awful before you buy ... what can we expect once we own this brand and have a problem?

I just want to be treated like I was a relative ... with some professionalism.
Of course he may read this forum and read our rants and no longer care if I buy or not.
I have spoken or emailed other customers of his and ALL have said they are treated the same umprofessional way. None are happy and have all thought about just grabbing their deposits and walking.

What a way to work against your marketing and GM PR folks.
Enough said.

:banghead:

·
Registered
149 Posts
There are some bad Saturn dealerships, ignore them and find a good one. If everyone does this they won't be in business long.

Sounds like the salesman wanted to make a sale and was pushing you toward something he could sell you quick.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Dreamin, thats a horrible experience.

My dealer just took the order and answers any questions when I call (he's always available).

He's asked me about the Aura, too. I think they're really pushing the sales reps to push the Aura which seems like a nice car but probably not a whole lot better than the bunch of competitors in its class IMO.

BTW, I went into a Pontiac Dealership and the MANAGER told me he wouldn't even accept an order for a Solstice. He says to do so would only make the customer angry because he'd be waiting forever and he (the manager) would waste endless time updating the person on the one order.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought my Sky from Saturn of Arlington :) after also having gone to Saturn of Lewisville. I guess I'm still on Lewisville's list. Haven't heard from them in months.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bad bad dealer...

When I ordered mine months back, Yup, march... I had only seen it on TV, no sitting in one, no driving one, no idea at all what to expect except from the flyer and the TV. Unsettling you bet.. But with delivery now 5-6 weeks, I have to say been overly impressed with Saturn Dealer. This coming from someone that worked for Fords, and a long line of relatives that worked there too... As far as dealers go, Mine has answered all my questions, insured that it was ordered and que'd before the price before it went up, and has always been upfront.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also visited with this salesman back in May. At that time he was very nice and let me open, close any compartment I desired. They did not, however have any more Sky,s available. I ended up going to the dealership in Irving and was treated with all the respect I desired. Dealt with a salesman named Ernest.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
continuation of thread #4 ... it is now after 6PM and the sales manager has NOT phoned.

I am tired of this rude treatment ... he has my cell phone number ... house number .... office number ... and email address .... and $1,000 and my dream in his hands.

a. walk away after waiting since April and buy another car?

b. Go to another dealer and start waiting from the back of the line?

c. Or just sit with a cup of coffee and be nice?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
173 Posts
My dealer let me take a Sky for a 30+minute test spin.....I have dealers that are much closer to me geographically but couldn't test drive the Sky that they had either because it was sold or it was on the showroom floor as a centerpiece. Also one dealership had the price marked-up....certainly didn't want to do business there. The 35-40 mile drive to a different Saturn Dealership was well worth it and I place my order with them.:)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have been very pleased with my dealership in the San Antonio area. They are always very nice. The only complaint is that they don't seem to keep up with constraints and are not very proactive at contacting me. Having said that, I call them every three to four weeks and always get a call back if the salesperson is unavailable. They are willing to answer my questions and are easy to work with. Best of all they have promised me that they will honor price protections and will not add unrequested dealer add-on equipment to my car without my permission.

·
Registered
166 Posts
continuation of thread #4 ... it is now after 6PM and the sales manager has NOT phoned.

I am tired of this rude treatment ... he has my cell phone number ... house number .... office number ... and email address .... and $1,000 and my dream in his hands.

a. walk away after waiting since April and buy another car?

b. Go to another dealer and start waiting from the back of the line?

c. Or just sit with a cup of coffee and be nice?

:rolleyes:
What about d. Call back and stop reading too much into it

If there are a bunch of deliveries and whatnot going on then chances are he's pretty busy and will get to you in due time. Regardless of your preconceived notions of sales managers hanging out smoking cigars with their feet up on the desk they do have schedules busy enough to not be able to call someone back the instant they get a whim to know about a car that's not to be delivered for weeks/months. Be patient.

·
Registered
410 Posts
IMHO--To the Sky members that are having trouble with these rude dealerships, spend your money elsewhere. If there are over 450 Saturn dealerships in this country, cant you buy from one of the good ones and have the car shipped to your dealership?? Here in my town, I was treated very, very, poorly. One guy owns all three dealerships within 1hr drive of me. Guess what-- went 2hrs away and got everything I wanted. Not once but twice for I also ordered the REDLINE, just the way I wanted. These dealers and so-called salespersons don't even know the product their selling nor were they prepared for the calls and questions they are encountering. The lies they tell, the mark-ups they are charging, this is not PEOPLE FIRST:nono: :nono: Again this is my opinion and I better stop now:mad:

·
Registered
18 Posts
First I am warned that the payments are really high (?) – way to sell, Mister. Then I’m told the really great car is the Aura.
This is pretty common from what i've heard/overheard/seen. The deal with the sky's is that there is only a finite number of them and most are already taken/claimed. Saturn wanted the car cause it would get people into the showroom and in front of a sales rep. Problem is the car works too well in that aspect and people coming in to look at a hot car like the roadster have no desire to look at a commuter vehicle. Most of the time i've seen salesmen talking about the sky to consumers, they'll hit all of its low points pretty fast and then be eager to point in the direction of the vue or the ion for better cargo space. dont take it personally, they've got a hard sell to push the minute you walk in the door to get you off of that car and onto something "economical".

That said, my buying experiance was superb. My dealership bought a demo car just to show off and let people test drive till thier allocations were sold (and then they sold it too) so i got to drive it around the block a few times and get a good feel for it before i ordered mine. they didn't try to push anything on me when i picked up the car and everything was teh way i wanted it so if you dont get a warmfuzzy from that dealership, just go to another one. most of them are pretty decent.

and to the guy who is waiting for the call, i'd just call the saturn guy back. i imagine he's pretty busy most of the time and not actually intending to avoid you. its not a big deal and not worth getting worked up over if you have to call him back as long as he's not avoiding you.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
It really does sound like you need to get in touch with Ernest. His dealership really is getting alot of SKYs in and they really are very nice people up there. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
We, too, had an unfortunate situation with a Saturn dealer. He went so far as to tell us we were too old (58 and 60) for a Sky. Went to another dealer in Jacksonville. They have been great. Ordered the RL and even told me last week that we had nothing to worry about as far as the price increase.

·
Registered
105 Posts
OK, I was going to quit writing about my EX-dealer because my NOW-dealer is so good, but these posts gave me one of those "ah-ha!" moments after tyring to figure out for months why we keep hearing these stories ... then it dawned on me ...

This whole Sky phenomenon is EXACTLY like what I experienced when Harley Davidson was riding the crest of mega-popularity with the demand totally outweighing the supply. People were told they had to pay $500 to get on a list that could be as long as 3 years or more, some being told they'd have to take the color they were offered or forget it even if it wasn't what the wanted.

This demand went to dealer's heads. I walked into one HD dealer and after having to ask for a salesperson when there were no other customers in the store I was ushered into an office and the moron sez, "Yes?" I sez, "I'm interested in buying a Harley." Hiz reply? "Not interested." He was sitting with his back to me and never turned around. :mad:

I guess they figured why bother, they had the coolest product in town so toss customer service out the door. Not all were like that, but more than now when the find the market has softened and they NEED to SELL bikes rather than just take money in hand over fist.

Bad dealer behavior? Stupid. Absolutely stupid.

My new dealer: Wonderful, absolutely wonderful. But then he gets it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
"The end of the story ..."

Oh, how did the overall Harley story end?

The market finally softened and they started losing out to imports so were
no longer the only show in town; and,

Got sued for taking people's money with no binding puchase order and not
paying them interest.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts