Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Nope ... a patch kit ... but no spare tire.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Yeppers thats what we have, a combo fix-a-flat and air compressor built into one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here is an item that is meant for automobiles that works really well.
I have been using it on my motorcycles, but will be carrying it my
SKY (when I get it).:rolleyes: TirePlugger.jpg

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Hmm, some of us may already have a spare tire in our sky. It's just not in the ideal place :lol: :jester:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Ernest said:
Mine has one, and it is overinflated at this time>:D
Pitcom said:
Hmm, some of us may already have a spare tire in our sky. It's just not in the ideal place :lol: :jester:
Mt spare is a Dunlop....It has dun-loped over.....:lol:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
all i have right now is 2 "NO RUN-FLATS"

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ernest said:
ONSTAR is a lot easier than the fix-a-flat:lol: :lol: I wonder just how many of those inflators will really be used?:cheers:
it may have worked on my rear tire but i don;t think it would seal a hole the size of a half dollar....
maybe some duct tape would help... LOL
Used on-star... it worked wonderful...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
KappaMan said:
Just a reminder - the 2006 MX-5 does not have a spare either, it has a compressor kit like the SKY.
The C5 Corvette Z06 used the compressor and goop kit also..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You silly people -- Of course the SKY has a spare

It is just stored at a tire shop!:thumbs:

·
Registered
57 Posts
OK, so who has had a flat tire and how did you handle it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My spare tire will be prominently displayed in the driver's seat while the vehicle is in motion!:D

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
SKY (when I get it).:rolleyes: View attachment 4757
No offense but it is not a wise idea to "plug" your tires. It is always better to have the tire removed and a patch put in the "inside" of the tire, especially on a high performance tire. Granted a plug might get you on your way, but I would re-do the plug with a patch when you can soon after.

Plugging a tire created a BIG multi-million dollar lawsuit I believe it was in Illinois a few years ago. Couple people killed, wasn't pretty. Apparently a tire dealer "plugged" a tire and that tire caused a "blowout" causing the driver to loose control of the vehicle. Apparently it was "proven" in court that the blow out happend because of the plug.

My Good Year dealer had this article posted on his message board. Soo, at this facility they no longer "plug" tires, they patch them. Since then that is what I ALWAYS request when repairing a flat, and most reputable tire dealers worth his salt and with your safety in mind WILL patch instead of plug. Just thought you guys should know.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
No offense but it is not a wise idea to "plug" your tires. It is always better to have the tire removed and a patch put in the "inside" of the tire, especially on a high performance tire. Granted a plug might get you on your way, but I would re-do the plug with a patch when you can soon after.

Plugging a tire created a BIG multi-million dollar lawsuit I believe it was in Illinois a few years ago. Couple people killed, wasn't pretty. Apparently a tire dealer "plugged" a tire and that tire caused a "blowout" causing the driver to loose control of the vehicle. Apparently it was "proven" in court that the blow out happend because of the plug.

My Good Year dealer had this article posted on his message board. Soo, at this facility they no longer "plug" tires, they patch them. Since then that is what I ALWAYS request when repairing a flat, and most reputable tire dealers worth his salt and with your safety in mind WILL patch instead of plug. Just thought you guys should know.
I agree a patch is much better, but I have plugged tires before and never had a problem. Maybe I've just been lucky. I also carry a plug kit in my Sky. I would rather have a plug than fix-a-flat.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Hello all

I would just call on-star and let them take care of getting the tire fixed.

But if you fix with the goo or a plug kit, you should probably only drive until you can get a proper repair.

Also note http://www.safercar.gov/Tires/pages/TireMaintRepair.htm recommends any repair consists of both a plug and an internal patch:thumbs:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Originally Posted by Angel
SKY (when I get it).Attachment 4757

This kit actually plugs from the inside. It has a gun that forces a mushroom-headed plug into the hole and double seals the tire. The mushroom-headed plug expands to seal the inside of the tire.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts