Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that this has been addressed before, but, I can't find it...........Is there a "spare" for this car! would hate to be stuck without one........i know the "on-star" is standard...............but?????????

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
sky_line said:
I'm sure that this has been addressed before, but, I can't find it...........Is there a "spare" for this car! would hate to be stuck without one........i know the "on-star" is standard...............but?????????
Sorry Guy, there is no Spare tire, Just a can of a flat fixer and a Jack...

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
classic66vair said:
Sorry Guy, there is no Spare tire, Just a can of a flat fixer and a Jack...
Actually there is no jack. It's a more advanced fix-a-flat system though. There's a device in the trunk you take and hook up to the 12v line in the car. This device pumps the goop into the tire then also pumps air into the tire to inflate it up to running size.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
brentil said:
Actually there is no jack. It's a more advanced fix-a-flat system though. There's a device in the trunk you take and hook up to the 12v line in the car. This device pumps the goop into the tire then also pumps air into the tire to inflate it up to running size.
Would kinda suck if you had a complete blow-out or are they using a special type of tire! I mean, the On-Star would be great to have in this event but if someone has to com out and fix your tire, I am sure that they will not have that type of tire readily available. Just a point to ponder.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
The inflation kit will probably be better for me anyway due to my startling lack of mechanical inclination. Thanks to an incident when I was 19, I've only ever changed one flat in my life and was completely freaked out until I could get to the dealer and have them check the bolts.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
brentil said:
oops i meant the tire sealant and air pump... my mistake.
one thing though is I have been driving for 36 years, and have only had one blowout, and that was from running over a sharp rock... Tires today are much better than they were and as long as you don't run them down to the cords you shouldn't have alot of problems...

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
This all sounds dangerous and expensive. Pump this crap into your tire which is at best a temp fix. So some dumb ass figures the tire is fixed and continues to drive on it at highway speed until it blows and then what?

Also with that crap in the tire how easy will it be to fix the tire or replace it? Hmmm... I'll just call On-Star.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rick112 said:
This all sounds dangerous and expensive. Pump this crap into your tire which is at best a temp fix. So some dumb ass figures the tire is fixed and continues to drive on it at highway speed until it blows and then what?

Also with that crap in the tire how easy will it be to fix the tire or replace it? Hmmm... I'll just call On-Star.
KINDA, SORTA, WHAT I WAS THINKING...AFTER YOUR TIRE GOES DOWN YOU CAN'T REALLY RELY ON IT TO BE ABLE TO PERFORM PROPERLY WITH FIX-A-FLAT IN IT....JUST A TEMP FIX.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
So on that note, how many of you, SINCE YOU'RE ALL USING ON-STAR for your tire problems, are going to continue with the On Star program after the first year's limit is up and you have to pay for it on your own? Maybe I'll poll it. Does anyone know how much it costs per year?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
sky_line said:
KINDA, SORTA, WHAT I WAS THINKING...AFTER YOUR TIRE GOES DOWN YOU CAN'T REALLY RELY ON IT TO BE ABLE TO PERFORM PROPERLY WITH FIX-A-FLAT IN IT....JUST A TEMP FIX.
everyone seems to be calling this tire sealant Fix-A Flat, It is a can of who knows what and compressed gas that is flammable... What is coming in the Sky and Solstice is different, the sealant is a liquid and then you have to use the inflator pump that comes with the car to reinflate the tire...There are some new products on the market much better than the old Fix-a-Flat now...I am sure it would be something you could drive the 50 miles at 50 MPH like them rinky dink spares that a lot of people leave on their car till they blow out... which to me is so unsafe and Stupid..
http://www.slime.com/

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Everyone seems freaked out about the tire inflation system when it's not really new news or even big news.

You can fix pretty much anything wrong with the tire as long as you don't have a full on blow out or sidewall rupture. People keep associating "fix-a-flat" with a name brand, it's not the brand in the car, just the term we're using. I don't believe the one used in the Sky/Solstice is necisarily all that dangerous, it's been around for a long while. Once inflated you can drive on the tire upto 65mph and 250 miles I believe. You get to a tire place, you let them know the stuffs in there, they take it off, clean it, put it back on, and patch it. Unless the tire is too damaged and needs to be replaced completely. Spare tires take up valuable space, and add to the weight of the car. The new MX-5 doesn't have a spare either. The S2000 has a system like this too I believe.

Angel: OnStar costs about ~$200 a year for minimum service. You can get the exact ammount from the official website. www.onstar.com

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Angelqute1 said:
So on that note, how many of you, SINCE YOU'RE ALL USING ON-STAR for your tire problems, are going to continue with the On Star program after the first year's limit is up and you have to pay for it on your own? Maybe I'll poll it. Does anyone know how much it costs per year?
APPROX. $17.00/MONTHLY...........I'M GOING TO KEEP IT......NEVER CAN TELL WHEN I'LL LOCK MY KEYS INSIDE WITH THE TOP DOWN..........:lol: HAVE IT ON THE '2006.........WORKS PRETTY GOOD........ESPECIALLY THE PHONE SERVICE

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
sky_line said:
APPROX. $17.00/MONTHLY...........I'M GOING TO KEEP IT......NEVER CAN TELL WHEN I'LL LOCK MY KEYS INSIDE WITH THE TOP DOWN..........:lol: HAVE IT ON THE '2006.........WORKS PRETTY GOOD........ESPECIALLY THE PHONE SERVICE
:lol: Worst yet lock yourself in the car with the top down. :lol:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
marklynn70 said:
:lol: Worst yet lock yourself in the car with the top down. :lol:
:lol: I WOULDN'T PUT ANYTHING PAST ME:lol: HERE'S TO LOCKING OURSELVES IN OUR CARS......WITH THE TOPS DOWN:cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I was joking about that one day. It was just starting to rain and I joked to my wife that my keys were locked in the car and the t top was off. A woman a couple of cars over heard me and offered to hang her kid by his feet into my car to unlock it for me. I think she had more then one of them or something like that so it didn't matter if she lost one. :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rick112 said:
I was joking about that one day. It was just starting to rain and I joked to my wife that my keys were locked in the car and the t top was off. A woman a couple of cars over heard me and offered to hang her kid by his feet into my car to unlock it for me. I think she had more then one of them or something like that so it didn't matter if she lost one. :D
WHAT A WONDERFUL MOM:D

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't know how many have used the fix a flat (which seems to be similar to what this system uses) but it sucks having it in the tire. To seal the leak you have to place a sizeable amount of this "crap" into the tire. This ususally cause the tire to become unbalanced @ speeds over 30 miles an hour causing you to want to get to a tire repair shop as fast as possible. Had it happen twice with my cars in the past.. had to use it because the spare had low pressure.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
sky_vue said:
I don't know how many have used the fix a flat (which seems to be similar to what this system uses) but it sucks having it in the tire. To seal the leak you have to place a sizeable amount of this "crap" into the tire. This ususally cause the tire to become unbalanced @ speeds over 30 miles an hour causing you to want to get to a tire repair shop as fast as possible. Had it happen twice with my cars in the past.. had to use it because the spare had low pressure.
I hear it is better than fix a flat but no matter what it is in there, if I ever end up having to use it this will be the guy changing my tires problem. As I have no intention of ever going any further than the front desk and telling them what I need. But even better may we all be blessed by never having to experience a flat Tire in our SKY. Then we could take out the pump kit and save another couple of pounds :) .

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
The "Safe & Sound" Package, which is what you have free for a year, costs $199 per year. Pretty inexpensive if you ask me...

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts