Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'08 2.4 NA, 96K. Ordered the Trifecta mild tune. Changing sparks finally. Thought I'd replace plug wires also (I know, they never wear out, but humor me). Just searched and couldn't find a set specific. You all have any leads (get it) where to find a set? Or just get a non model specific set & cut them down, if that's possible.
Maybe coil packs too. (I know)

·
Super Moderator
5,274 Posts
Plug wires? Don't the coils sit directly on top of the plugs?

Plug wires do eventually "wear out" although "break down" is probably a more accurate term.

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
Plug wires? Don't the coils sit directly on top of the plugs?.
I want to believe everyone is kidding but JUST in case they are not, I want to reiterate John's post here.

We don't have plug wires. Our coil packs sit directly on the plugs. This is called plug on coil technology.

·
Super Moderator
5,274 Posts
I want to believe everyone is kidding but JUST in case they are not, I want to reiterate John's post here.

We don't have plug wires. Our coil packs sit directly on the plugs. This is called plug on coil technology.
Yeah, I think the suggestion to buy a part that never existed at a place that no longer exists was probably made in jest.

Feeling a little dyslexic are you? I believe that it is more commonly referred to as coil-on-plug.

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
Yeah, I think the suggestion to buy a part that never existed at a place that no longer exists was probably made in jest.

Feeling a little dyslexic are you? I believe that it is more commonly referred to as coil-on-plug.
Yea apparently i am a bit dyslexic. LOL oi...it has been a long week.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well - I've replaced many parts of the engine it's mostly like a new car.

I'm about to replace the alternator - although it's perfectly good. Eh. The battery went bad in the real cold weather we had in Livermore - and I replaced the battery. So I figure ... Why not replace the alternator.. Only 165$. What do you think?

I'm at 123K miles. Is it worth my while looking into replacing the coil-on-plugs for a 2.4L?

Is it a mostly non-complicated job for a good mechanic? What about the coil under the coil-on-plug?

Ah, another thing would be replacing the radiator. Perfectly good - but why not make it like new? Radiators go for less than 200$.

With that I will have replaced most the parts except for the water hoses. Replace those too?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
I'm at 123K miles. Is it worth my while looking into replacing the coil-on-plugs for a 2.4L?

Is it a mostly non-complicated job for a good mechanic? What about the coil under the coil-on-plug?

Ah, another thing would be replacing the radiator. Perfectly good - but why not make it like new? Radiators go for less than 200$.

With that I will have replaced most the parts except for the water hoses. Replace those too?

Thanks.
There is only one coil...there is no coil under the coil...there is only the spark plug under the coil. Pretty much if you trust your mechanic to change the spark plugs, then he can change the coils. You have to take the coils off to get the plugs out so really the only difference is you'll be putting a different coil back on after you take the old one off. Very easy to do. You could do it (unplug coil from harness, 10mm bolt holding each coil in so remove the bolt, pull the coil, new coil in, replace bolt, plug new coil back into harness...done)

Radiator hoses could need replacement now but not necessarily replace the radiator...squeeze the hoses and see if they feel real soft. If they do, replacement may be a good thing. A strong coolant system flush would get anything out of the radiator that was gummed up in there but usually they are pretty good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts