Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So Special Edition = Black Stripe and different wheels? Otherwise having all the same loaded features and creature comforts?

Is there an SE Base as well as an RL?

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
So Special Edition = Black Stripe and different wheels? Otherwise having all the same loaded features and creature comforts?

Correction: Yes, the stripe and wheels were the major differences for the RL SEs. NA SEs also got black headlight bezels.

·
Registered
881 Posts

In 2009, as John said, there were two SEs. A Hydro Blue (89 total) and Ruby Red (500 total). They were made in both NA and RL variants. All had the same SE trim package. Vinyl stripe down the center (black on RR and Silver on HB), 10 spoke wheels, special stitched interior (blue stitching on HB and red stitching on RR), no spoiler option, and black top and interior only. Otherwise they were the same as all other NAs and RL. Ruby red was also the only SE color available not just as a SE. They made another 494 non SEs. NA=163 RL=331.

In 2008, the Carbon Flash SEs were a little different. All CF SEs had blackout headlights regardless of NA or RL, a silver vinyl striped down the center, special titanium color insert interior (doors, seats, steering wheel), no spoiler option, and black top and interior only.

The wheels were not part of the package, and all were RLs
Are you sure about the John? Everything I have seen the 10 spoke wheels were standard on all SEs in 2009. 2008 SEs had the same 5 spoke wheels as other Skys.

Also they were made in both RL and NA's for both 2008 and 2009.
RR SEs total 500. NA=133 RL=367
HB SEs total 89. NA=40 RL=49

CF SEs total 500. NA=228 RL=322

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
In 2009, as John said, there were two SEs. A Hydro Blue (89 total) and Ruby Red (500 total). They were made in both NA and RL variants. All had the same SE trim package. Vinyl stripe down the center (black on RR and Silver on HB), 10 spoke wheels, special stitched interior (blue stitching on HB and red stitching on RR), no spoiler option, and black top and interior only. Otherwise they were the same as all other NAs and RL. Ruby red was also the only SE color available not just as a SE. They made another 494 non SEs. NA=163 RL=331.

In 2008, the Carbon Flash SEs were a little different. All CF SEs had blackout headlights regardless of NA or RL, a silver vinyl striped down the center, special titanium color insert interior (doors, seats, steering wheel), no spoiler option, and black top and interior only.

Are you sure about the John? Everything I have seen the 10 spoke wheels were standard on all SEs in 2009. 2008 SEs had the same 5 spoke wheels as other Skys.

Also they were made in both RL and NA's for both 2008 and 2009.
RR SEs total 500. NA=133 RL=367
HB SEs total 89. NA=40 RL=49

CF SEs total 500. NA=228 RL=322
I corrected my errors while you were typing. I had crossed some information from 2008 to 2009.

According to my 2009 printbook, all SEs (NA and RL) received black headlight bezels.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I corrected my errors while you were typing. I had crossed some information from 2008 to 2009.

According to my 2009 printbook, all SEs (NA and RL) received black headlight bezels.
No sir, just the 2008 CF SEs had blackout headlight on the two trims. That print book appears to be incorrect.

I’ve attached two pics I found online real quick of two NA SEs of each 2009 color below with the silver headlights.
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Grille

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
No sir, just the 2008 CF SEs had blackout headlight on the two trims. That print book appears to be incorrect.

I’ve attached two pics I found online real quick of two NA SEs of each 2009 color below with the silver headlights.
You may be correct, but I am going to follow GM publications over random internet pictures, and either way, i am not going to be overly concerned about it.

Reactions: Mycielo

·
Registered
881 Posts
You may be correct, but I am going to follow GM publications over random internet pictures, and either way, i am not going to be overly concerned about it.
Out of curiosity, what GM publication are you referencing that states the 2009s all had blackout headlights? I double checked my 2009 dealer brochure, but it doesn't even mention the SEs. Is it a GM press release or something else? I know I read in the unofficial Robert Casey book "All Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky Colors, Codes, and Quantities" he incorrectly states the 2009 SEs all had black headlight bezels on page 128 and 129. I now wonder if he pulled his data from the same source. However he also may have just copied his wording from his 2008 CF SE information, as on the previous page it appears to be identical wording for that portion. I've thought about reaching out to him to validate this and see if their would be a future correction, but I imagine the demand for his book is overall low and wouldn't warrant a second edition. It's still a very well put together book though, but it does appear to have some discrepancies between information found on the forums over the years.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both the ruby red and hydro blue Sky SEs are beautiful cars, though I am not into the racing stripes. A stripe-less hydro blue would be exceptional to me.

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
Out of curiosity, what GM publication are you referencing that states the 2009s all had blackout headlights? I double checked my 2009 dealer brochure, but it doesn't even mention the SEs. Is it a GM press release or something else? I know I read in the unofficial Robert Casey book "All Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky Colors, Codes, and Quantities" he incorrectly states the 2009 SEs all had black headlight bezels on page 128 and 129. I now wonder if he pulled his data from the same source. However he also may have just copied his wording from his 2008 CF SE information, as on the previous page it appears to be identical wording for that portion. I've thought about reaching out to him to validate this and see if their would be a future correction, but I imagine the demand for his book is overall low and wouldn't warrant a second edition. It's still a very well put together book though, but it does appear to have some discrepancies between information found on the forums over the years.
They are referred to as "Printbooks" and my assumption has been that they are the printouts of the Vehicle Order Guide.
Mine for the 2009 MY has a published date of April 2, 2010, so it is possible that there was a later revision that changed specifications.

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
Both the ruby red and hydro blue Sky SEs are beautiful cars, though I am not into the racing stripes. A stripe-less hydro blue would be exceptional to me.
My 2008 is a Carbon Flash SE. The stripe has been removed, and the pending change is the elimination of the Titanium leather in the seats and steering wheel.

·
Registered
881 Posts
They are referred to as "Printbooks" and my assumption has been that they are the printouts of the Vehicle Order Guide.
Mine for the 2009 MY has a published date of April 2, 2010, so it is possible that there was a later revision that changed specifications.
Ok yeah, I have one saved from the forum for the 2007 MY (and a few for the Solstice). I don't think I've seen any PDFs for the 2008 MY or 2009 MY for the Sky though searching here. I appreciate you clarifying and if you have a PDF handy to share I would also appreciate it.

It would make sense your copy may be an early publication date possibly or they never bothered to update as obviously GM ended up making them with silver headlights on the NA SEs.

My 2008 is a Carbon Flash SE. The stripe has been removed, and the pending change is the elimination of the Titanium leather in the seats and steering wheel.
I'm always split on the stripe. There are days I like it and days I loathe it. I added an aftermarket copy to my non SE Bluestone for a while before I decided to remove it. It just looks cleaner without it. I really like the titanium interior though, I will be sad to see it go on yours. Why are you removing? Is it damaged or faded or just wanting something else?

Yeah I agree. I'm not a fan of these racing stripes on street cars. YMMV.
But stickers add at least 5 HP!
GM loved sticking vinyl on their mid 2000 and up vehicles and calling them "special editions". I had a 2015 University of Texas SE Silverado LTZ. The only thing truly special edition about it was the Sunset Orange Metallic paint that originally was only available with that package. Otherwise they stuck 3 vinyl stickers on it and convinced UT fans they needed to buy it. I pulled the vinyl immediately however and just really loved the color. Honestly, I got more compliments on that truck than I do the RL, which is still a lot.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive side marker light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Just a further comment about the 10-spoke wheels...

All of the 2009 SE cars came from the factory with the 10 spoke wheels (but not the 2008 Carbon Flash).

However, "back in the day" we had several reports of non-SE Sky buyers who were able to convince their dealers to swap out the regular wheels for the wheels off of an SE just to make the sale. Sure, they weren't supposed to do that, but near the end of Saturn's life there was not a lot of worry about it.

This also means that some later SE buyers got the regular wheels instead of the ones that they were meant to have.

• Wow
Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Personally, I "LOVE" the standard 5-spoke wheels. They are SO MUCH NICER LOOKING than anything else I have seen on a Sky or Solstice. Though the chrome finish looks best, I would prefer the silver painted ones that match the windshield frame and tulip, to avoid rim leaks and chrome separation around the lug nuts.

Reactions: agent008

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
Ok yeah, I have one saved from the forum for the 2007 MY (and a few for the Solstice). I don't think I've seen any PDFs for the 2008 MY or 2009 MY for the Sky though searching here. I appreciate you clarifying and if you have a PDF handy to share I would also appreciate it.
If? I will send them the next time I am using the computer they are stored on.

It would make sense your copy may be an early publication date possibly or they never bothered to update as obviously GM ended up making them with silver headlights on the NA SEs.
I'm always split on the stripe. There are days I like it and days I loathe it. I added an aftermarket copy to my non SE Bluestone for a while before I decided to remove it. It just looks cleaner without it. I really like the titanium interior though, I will be sad to see it go on yours. Why are you removing? Is it damaged or faded or just wanting something else?
White leather where you sit and where you hold the steering wheel is a monumentally bad idea. I don't care for the appearance to begin with, but what I really hate is the effort needed to keep it clean and especially the fact that it is never truly clean.

My RL came to me used, and previously owned by a smoker. I have managed to de-contaminate everything except the leather.

·
Premium Member
08 Redline. RPM"s CAI, charge pipes, Intercooler, CAT delete & ECM Tune. DIY tunnel brace. ProBeam.
213 Posts
If? I will send them the next time I am using the computer they are stored on.

White leather where you sit and where you hold the steering wheel is a monumentally bad idea. I don't care for the appearance to begin with, but what I really hate is the effort needed to keep it clean and especially the fact that it is never truly clean.

My RL came to me used, and previously owned by a smoker. I have managed to de-contaminate everything except the leather.
Man, that’s a real shame. Smoke is murder on so many things: Electronics, fans, ducting, upholstery, lungs no to mention the film it leaves on the glass. Even when I did smoke, it was strictly not allowed by my friends inside my apartment or car.
Flying in the Middle East, the jets’ owner and guests smoked quite often.You wouldn’t believe the amount of maintenance that goes into cleaning the outflow valves so the plane pressurized correctly. It is truly remarkable how damaging smoke is. And they rarely smoked cigars as they preferred American cigarettes. The electronics seemed to have more issues than other planes who’s owners didn’t smoke, too.

I always liked the black and titanium color scheme, but never considered the cleanliness factor. Double that up with smoke damage, I don’t blame you for switching it out!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My RL came to me used, and previously owned by a smoker. I have managed to de-contaminate most everything except the leather.
With our Sky, one of the previous 3 owners was a smoker. Fortunately no burns. Like yourself, I managed to decontaminate it extremely well during the mild restoration process, and in-part because the leather was old, cracked, and getting ugly. I replaced the leather which naturally helped. The convertible top was replaced by me from a non-smoker's car which also helped a lot. There is still a "hint" of something foul from a smoker if you give it thought, but we rarely drive covered. I placed one of those air filtering ionizers which really made a huge improvement. This reminds me, I should place one in there again for another week.
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
With our Sky, one of the previous 3 owners was a smoker. Fortunately no burns. Like yourself, I managed to decontaminate it extremely well during the mild restoration process, and in-part because the leather was old, cracked, and getting ugly. I replaced the leather which naturally helped. The convertible top was replaced by me from a non-smoker's car which also helped a lot. There is still a "hint" of something foul from a smoker if you give it thought, but we rarely drive covered. I placed one of those air filtering ionizers which really made a huge improvement. This reminds me, I should place one in there again for another week.
View attachment 119488
Since u have your car stripped and u have a 2007....change your VCIM....and install one with bluetooth. Cheap enough....but if u bought an aftermarket radio, that won't be necessary

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
Since u have your car stripped and u have a 2007....change your VCIM....and install one with bluetooth. Cheap enough....but if u bought an aftermarket radio, that won't be necessary
I believe that picture was from earlier, when he had first gotten the car.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts