Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I believe that picture was from earlier, when he had first gotten the car.
JohnWR is correct. I shared the dated photo to demonstrate the level of tear-down during the mild restoration which I took full advantage of to clean the interior.

MBMike, I considered buying an OEM 2009 Sky radio with the USB port to have my own music handy (like I have with our sedan) but my restoration costs got so high that I lost interest in the idea. As it turns out, we rarely listen to the radio anyway because we converse so much in the car. If I took long trips alone often, I could see the USB OEM radio returning as a priority.

I like the style the OEM radio offers. Aftermarket radios don't tickle me. But even my OEM radio had to change. I replaced the lens and LED illumination from a 2008 Cobalt radio to match the balance of my interior illumination changes.

The phone camera played tricks. There is no haze in reality. It is crisp and clean.
Musical instrument Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Automotive lighting Font

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Did you actually have a source for the 2009 Radio with USB?

They have not been generally available for a long time.

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
JohnWR is correct. I shared the dated photo to demonstrate the level of tear-down during the mild restoration which I took full advantage of to clean the interior.

MBMike, I considered buying an OEM 2009 Sky radio with the USB port to have my own music handy (like I have with our sedan) but my restoration costs got so high that I lost interest in the idea. As it turns out, we rarely listen to the radio anyway because we converse so much in the car. If I took long trips alone often, I could see the USB OEM radio returning as a priority.

I like the style the OEM radio offers. Aftermarket radios don't tickle me. But even my OEM radio had to change. I replaced the lens and LED illumination from a 2008 Cobalt radio to match the balance of my interior illumination changes.

The phone pictured plays tricks. There is no haze in reality.
View attachment 119496
I was not speaking about USB...it was about bluetooth capability. All our cars do have that if u change out the vcim with the bluetooth antenna

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Isn't it a generic GM radio that was also used on many other models and therefore can be easily sourced ?
I think the others have different colored lighting.
As far as I know, only the Sky one has the "orange" lighting.

·
Administrator
8,063 Posts
I think the others have different colored lighting.
As far as I know, only the Sky one has the "orange" lighting.
Correct. The faceplates are also different.

I have seen people swap out the faceplates and the plasma screen filter to keep the proper appearance, but you run into an issue if you want to switch to, for example, a USB ported radio, since there is no hole in the faceplate for the USB connection.

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
The only other radio that can be exchanged with USB capability is the Solstice...otherwise, all other radios have another amp inside their housing....that will make chimes louder, directional signal louder and will break your speakers because it will break the sound barrier. You must use the Saturn or Solstice USB radio only. Bluetooth has nothing to do with radio capability.

·
Administrator
8,063 Posts
The only other radio that can be exchanged with USB capability is the Solstice...otherwise, all other radios have another amp inside their housing....that will make chimes louder, directional signal louder and will break your speakers because it will break the sound barrier. You must use the Saturn or Solstice USB radio only. Bluetooth has nothing to do with radio capability.
That depends on whether your car has Monsoon, since non-Monsoon radio head units include an amplifier. Putting a non-Monsoon Sky radio in a Monsoon-equipped Sky will result in the same over-loud chimes, etc. And yes, you are correct that the Bluetooth is not a function of the factory radios.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
FWIW the SE Solstice version had (according to GM sheet dated 2008)
• Black heritage stripe on hood and decklid
• Black headlamp bezels
• Black GXP style front grilles
• Z0K racing-inspired suspension
• Brazen Orange Metallic exterior color
• Ebony leather seating surfaces
• Sport pedals
• 6-disc in-dash AM/FM/CD changer
• 7-speaker premium sound system
• Air conditioning
• Carpeted floor mats
• Preferred Package
• Convenience Package
• Premium Package

No idea whether all or only part of that list was also included on the Sky.

·
Registered
2009 Hydro Blue RL/LE, Auto
37 Posts
No sir, just the 2008 CF SEs had blackout headlight on the two trims. That print book appears to be incorrect.

I’ve attached two pics I found online real quick of two NA SEs of each 2009 color below with the silver headlights.
View attachment 119458
View attachment 119459
No sir, just the 2008 CF SEs had blackout headlight on the two trims. That print book appears to be incorrect.

I’ve attached two pics I found online real quick of two NA SEs of each 2009 color below with the silver headlights.
View attachment 119458
View attachment 119459
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Current (top) Previous (bottom) same angle different driveways and 7 years apart. Redlines received a different headlight than the NA. Just thought I would share since I have had both RR and HB

·
Registered
2009 Hydro Blue RL/LE, Auto
37 Posts

·
Administrator
8,063 Posts
I am baffled about the "titanium" leather and inserts. Think I've never seen them. I'm assuming it doesn't look very nice...
It is almost white (to my eye), and is a dramatic look that some people really like. I am not one of them.

The worst problem with mine is that the car originally belonged to a smoker and (I assume) that is the reason for the deeply ingrained "dirt" that leaves it looking bad.

I was once offered a really good deal on an Equinox, but turned it down because I was concerned that I would not be able to keep it looking good. My Sky tells me I was probably correct.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
74 Posts
Correct. The faceplates are also different.

I have seen people swap out the faceplates and the plasma screen filter to keep the proper appearance, but you run into an issue if you want to switch to, for example, a USB ported radio, since there is no hole in the faceplate for the USB connection.
I followed @TomatoSoup 's steps and bought a headunit from the wreckers off a Malibu with Monsoon. I then installed the faceplate from my original headunit on to the usb headunit. Removed the usb outlet from the headunit where it would protrude through the faceplate and routed a usb cable from it to the back of the headunit and pulled it through the plastic panel below steering wheel near to driver's right knee.

Worked out perfectly. I'll post the link to the thread on Solstoce Forum later on.

·
Administrator
8,063 Posts
I followed @TomatoSoup 's steps and bought a headunit from the wreckers off a Malibu with Monsoon. I then installed the faceplate from my original headunit on to the usb headunit. Removed the usb outlet from the headunit where it would protrude through the faceplate and routed a usb cable from it to the back of the headunit and pulled it through the plastic panel below steering wheel near to driver's right knee.

Worked out perfectly. I'll post the link to the thread on Solstoce Forum later on.
A very successful solution to the issue of not having a matching faceplate.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
Here's the link from the USB radio mode over on Solstice Forum.

If u use this link to the Solstice forum...scroll down to post 24.....u will see the SKY dash in a Solstice....The Solstice dash is ugly but when changing it to the SKY....it will change the appearance of the car.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts