Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
about.com has an article about this from 1998. They debunked it as false then and pointed out that it'd been around for at least 2 years, so it's at least 10 years old by now. As the article pointed out, even if it ever would've worked, surely the systems have been fixed by now.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Snopes.com

about.com has an article about this from 1998. They debunked it as false then and pointed out that it'd been around for at least 2 years, so it's at least 10 years old by now. As the article pointed out, even if it ever would've worked, surely the systems have been fixed by now.

Snopes.com is another great source to check wiht on stuff like this:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.asp

and it has been my experience with such things as rebates and tax returns etc that there is an expiration date on the check and that after that date the books are closed regardless of whether you cashed it or not.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yep, I agree with the other 2. Apparently this was a glitch of sorts that occured in one state (don't recall which) but it has since been resolved.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Also, there are many states that don't assess points. Texas is one of those states.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Here is the word from Snopes.com

Also a bit of the article:
"You have to wonder about a "very reliable computer company" that puts a glaring loophole in its customers' systems, then tells the world about it. The fact is, every state does not use a "standard database" set up by a single company. (Even if any state's system did have such a loophole, they've now had three years' worth of people circulating this message on the Internet to warn them about it.)

Some people assert they've tried this scheme and it worked, and though it's certainly possible some people who overpaid their traffic tickets never saw any points go on their records, most likely that was a result of coincidence, not cause-and-effect. As most anyone who's dealt with the DMV knows, things do slip through the cracks now and then, just rarely in your favor. If you feel that spending three extra dollars in the hopes of keeping a ticket off your record is a worthwhile gamble, go ahead and try it. You're likely to be disappointed with the results, though."

·
Registered
131 Posts
speeding tickets

There are other ways to avoid points on your license or get out of the ticket all together. It has worked for me on the last 2 tickets I got and for my Mom recently as well and it is all perfectly legal and above board. To quote an earlier post of mine on this subject.

"It's a rather lengthy explanation but basically about 90% of all speeding tickets written in the US are illegal. There is a Federal Document which supersedes all State speed limit laws called the Manual On Uniform Traffic Control Devices and it says that for a speed limit to be set, there must be a traffic speed survey done on the road you are setting the speed limit on and then the speed limit must be within a certain percentage of what 80 percentile of the speed of the cars tested during the survey were doing on that stretch of road. The problem is that the Speed surveys have not been done on most roads in America since there are roughly 8 million miles or road and growing every day. There are just too many roads. There is a lot more to fighting the ticket but basically you attack them with these facts and make them prove it was a legit ticket. If they can't prove it was legit, how can you be guilty of violating a law that they can't prove is legit. The thing is, most cops will never bring a Traffic Speed Survey of the road you got the ticket on, even if one does exist. They are expecting to be dealing with a rookie. Contact me back for more info if you like and I will direct you to the website (not mine so I make no money, just trying to help a fellow car enthusiast out once in a while)." :thumbs: :cool: Disclaimer: This information is not presented with the intent of encouraging anyone to exceed speed limits. It is merely for your viewing pleasure.:nono: :nonod:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
My question is, if you are trying to beat a ticket, does one choose the trial by jury or the appearance before a judge?
Yes, generally to have a ticket changed or thrown out, you'll have to plea not guilty. Which would bring about a second court date. Now some offenses can be changed to a different offense, such as Improper Driving, or Unsafe Driving, or whatever your state calls it. That is a no point ticket, which in retrospect delivers a much higher fine. You only have 2 chances to do this though. So you can't go changing all your tickets.

One example, I was given a Careless Driving ticket when I had a small fender bender. (guy stopped short in front of me and i tapped him from behind, not much damage at all)

Police were called, and I was given a careless driving ticket, even though it wasn't really "careless" it just happens. So in court i spoke with the prosecutor and had it changed to Improper Driving. The original ticket was $83 and 2 points, the new ticket was $150 fine + $250 surcharge + $33 court costs, making it $433 but with no points added to my liscense.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Also a bit of the article:
"You have to wonder about a "very reliable computer company" that puts a glaring loophole in its customers' systems, then tells the world about it. The fact is, every state does not use a "standard database" set up by a single company. (Even if any state's system did have such a loophole, they've now had three years' worth of people circulating this message on the Internet to warn them about it.)

Some people assert they've tried this scheme and it worked, and though it's certainly possible some people who overpaid their traffic tickets never saw any points go on their records, most likely that was a result of coincidence, not cause-and-effect. As most anyone who's dealt with the DMV knows, things do slip through the cracks now and then, just rarely in your favor. If you feel that spending three extra dollars in the hopes of keeping a ticket off your record is a worthwhile gamble, go ahead and try it. You're likely to be disappointed with the results, though."
At least in Ohio, not all speeding tickets result in points on your license. You have to be doing a certain mile per hour over the posted speed limit. Also, if you plead "not guilty" and go talk with the prosecuter on your pretrial date, they will typically offer you a plea bargain to knock it down to a "no points" offense as well as reduce your fine in order to get a "sure thing" guilty without having to prepare and try your case. In my 30 years of driving, I've been pulled over more than 130 times and received so many tickets I can't count them anymore so I have extensive experience. It may not always work but it has always worked for me.:willy: :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
There are other ways to avoid points on your license or get out of the ticket all together. It has worked for me on the last 2 tickets I got and for my Mom recently as well and it is all perfectly legal and above board. To quote an earlier post of mine on this subject.

"It's a rather lengthy explanation but basically about 90% of all speeding tickets written in the US are illegal. There is a Federal Document which supersedes all State speed limit laws called the Manual On Uniform Traffic Control Devices and it says that for a speed limit to be set, there must be a traffic speed survey done on the road you are setting the speed limit on and then the speed limit must be within a certain percentage of what 80 percentile of the speed of the cars tested during the survey were doing on that stretch of road. The problem is that the Speed surveys have not been done on most roads in America since there are roughly 8 million miles or road and growing every day. There are just too many roads. There is a lot more to fighting the ticket but basically you attack them with these facts and make them prove it was a legit ticket. If they can't prove it was legit, how can you be guilty of violating a law that they can't prove is legit. The thing is, most cops will never bring a Traffic Speed Survey of the road you got the ticket on, even if one does exist. They are expecting to be dealing with a rookie. Contact me back for more info if you like and I will direct you to the website (not mine so I make no money, just trying to help a fellow car enthusiast out once in a while)." :thumbs: :cool: Disclaimer: This information is not presented with the intent of encouraging anyone to exceed speed limits. It is merely for your viewing pleasure.:nono: :nonod:
I would tend to disagree with this, but before I go on I will say:
1) I have read the mutcd
2) I'm not a lawyer

First after reading the mutcd the above is somewhat correct except it does not supersede all local speed laws, it only controls the placing of a sign on the side of the road to inform the motorist of the speed limit. While it does mention 85-percentile for engineering study that is for guidance only and is not mandatory.

If there is no engineering study of the road that would in effect only make the placement of the sign on the side of the road invalid, not the underlying speed limit.

A person would have a small chance of getting out of a ticket, but it would require a unique set of circumstances for it to happen.

If the sign on the side of the road is invalid, the state speed law for unmarked roads would still apply even if the judge threw out the actual speed limit. So if you are on a country road going 70mph just because the sign saying 55mph was invalidated you would still be guilty of going 70mph in a 55mph zone since the default speed limit on rural roads is 55mph (Illinois example)

So to actually get out of the ticket you would have to have a local speed law of say 45mph with an invalid sign, and you got charged for driving 55mph in a 45mph zone. Then if you got the sign and the speed limit thrown out by the judge, the road would revert to the default speed, so your ticket would get thrown out since you were doing the default speed.

Also note that the requirement for an engineering study only applies for new signage ie.. the local authority was putting a new sign up in a new location, or a new sign was needed because they decided to change the speed limit.

I do find this very interesting, I would like to see the post of anyone with any further information one way or the other on this. I would also like to see a scanned image of any paperwork from anyone who has used this tactic to get out of a ticket. If you have paperwork from the court case where this defense was used please redact any personal information and post. If my interpretation of the law is incorrect it would open up very interesting possibilities.............:eek:

Moderators, please note I am not in anyway shape or form condoning the breaking of any traffic laws, this discussion is hypothetical only.......:thumbs:

[email protected] excellent post it really made me think.:thumbs:

·
Registered
8 Posts

If you feel that spending three extra dollars in the hopes of keeping a ticket off your record is a worthwhile gamble, go ahead and try it. You're likely to be disappointed with the results, though."[/COLOR]

I tried this tactic recently with the beautiful state of PA for a ticket I received (83 in a 65) on the PA Turnpike. The fine was $134, I sent in $137 It took about a month, but I received the $3 refund check and a detailed break down of where my ripped off money was disbursed. It went to about 7 different state agencies. I tried this scam hoping it would prevent the points from going on my Indiana license. After giving it some thought, it does not make any sense that this would prevent the posting of points, but I gave it a try for the $&^@ of it...now hopefully PA does not share with IN and the Insurance company wont get the info either. Heck the License bureau in Indiana is so screwed up you have to wait several hours to register your vehicle at some locations, how can they be competent enough to get those points on my record intact????!!!!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
i received a ticket in maryland, and I'm a new jersey driver. My points carried over even though i was in another state. I don't think it really matters where you are. Points are points.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
It depends on the state you live in. NY only takes points from Ontario, so you won't lose your license for speeding in Jersey. Insurance is likely another matter- I don't know how they get their data, but neither of my two DE tickets were mentioned when I got my current policy.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I believe you are mistaken.:nono:
I don't think so. Having worked for a company that processes Motor Vehicle Reports (MVRs), aka driving records, I worked with literally thousands of driving records from every state in the union. I had to learn to be an expert at knowing what information is on specific MVRs, because insurance companies and agencies would contact our offices to try to make sense of the information they had been provided through us, by the states.

Some states assess points for every violation, some assess points on certain violations, and some do not use a points system at all. That is why insurance agents and underwriters have to be licensed in the specific states that they write business--because every state is different.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have never tried this, but what I was told to beat the ticket entirely is:
1) Plead not guilty, so you get a court date.
2) Do not show up for the appearance, you will be found guilty.
3) Appeal the decision, get a second court date.
4) Show up for the second court date. In most cases the Police officer will not show up for the 2nd date and you will have the case dismissed.

As far avoiding points on your license in California is easy, as long as you did not have a ticket in the last 18 months, you have the option of "going" to Traffic School to have the points not applied. (you still have to pay the ticket). Since they on Traffic Schools, it is not much of a hassle at all! :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts