Saturn Sky Forum banner

Sky Looks better with Spoiler: Yes or No?

• Yes

Votes: 48 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 58 54.7%

Spoiler or No Spoiler

8K views 61 replies 41 participants last post by  Yogi Bear’s Dad 
#1 ·
I cannot decide for the life of me whether to get a spoiler or not. Typically I am pro-spoiler, on almost every car....but I just can't decide on this one. Originally I thought no because it took away from the looks of the humps and seemed too cluttered on the back end. But now I'm thinking it might need some extra umph in the back? What do you all think? Should I Get one or not? also please realize this is strictly for cosmetics as I will not be racing and don't care about the benefits of it for that purpose.

Additionally pics with and without of different angles would be appreciated. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it:thumbs: . I wish i wasn't so darn indecisive:banghead:

-Brenner

#2 ·
My car is still at the dealer waiting on the gasket but here are a couple of pictures when it came off the truck. I really like the look of the spoiler.

YedraSky

Attachments

#4 ·
I was not going to get spoiler at first, but I'm glad I did.
Adds a little extra to the back. Check out photos in My Gallery.

#7 ·
TX-sky... where ya been hiding?

Thats exactly what I ordered for my Redline... Green, tan and a spoiler. (actually, I had asked to have spoiler taken off the order, and when I just looked at order I saw it still there.. so i said... Ahh leave it on)

Great pics!

What's everyone say about the Green? Are you happy with the green?

#5 ·
My Sky does not have it. Having seen others running around with them, I really wished I would have ordered it with one.

Having said this, my Sky RL has been ordered with one!

Go for the spoiler!!

#8 ·
To spoil, or not to spoil??

Like many others, original idea was to NOT add the spoiler - thought it "spoiled" (excuse the pun) the rear lines of the car. But, as soon as I saw one installed, I quickly changed my mind. It's on my base and it will be on my RedLine... :thumbs:

#9 ·
Thought about it. Decided not to (form to function) and after seeing it am very happy that I wnet without it. For me the spoiler lives up to it name when installed.

#10 ·
Nahhh

Some cars have to have it or they look plain (Mustang) and some look way better without it ('Vette). The Sky falls in category #2. Spoilers are like my high school English teacher used to say about commas--when in doubt, leave it out.

#13 ·
I vote YES on the spoiler.

The main question I get on it is, "Does it interfere with your view out the rear window?" The answer is absolutely not. With the top up you can't even see the spoiler in the rear view mirror. Top down, you look right over it.

#15 ·
I am one to think that add ons tend to take away from the original design of the car... in this case, I fell in love with the Sky the way it was... If youdecide to go with a spoiler, remember if you don;t like it later... you will have holes in your trunk.

#16 ·
After seeing it with the spoiler, I really wish we'd ordered one... Had the dealer shown it to us, we'd have had it installed. The car is awesome without it too, don't get me wrong :D

#17 ·
The "spoiler", is nice but not the look I am looking for. Sleek, and I want something easy to clean, and wax around especially with the color black!............................but I am still waiting...:willy: :willy:

#35 · (Edited)
:agree::agree: Trying to clean and wax around the corners of the spoiler and under it are a pain. I opted to do with out it. I think of rice burning corollas/NEOns when I think Spoiler. The car is sexy and classy, y ruin the look.

#18 ·
Cast my vote for no spoiler. I think it is all personal preference though. I like the sleek black no spoiler look, for someone else that is all wrong and they might like a bright yellow w/ spoiler. The main thing to remember though is that if you order it with it, and decide you don't like it, you are stuck with the holes in the trunk. Even just for that reason alone, I would go without and then decide if you want to add it on later...

#32 ·
Cast my vote for no spoiler. I think it is all personal preference though. I like the sleek black no spoiler look, for someone else that is all wrong and they might like a bright yellow w/ spoiler. The main thing to remember though is that if you order it with it, and decide you don't like it, you are stuck with the holes in the trunk. Even just for that reason alone, I would go without and then decide if you want to add it on later...
I agree, I want to see one with/without before the final decision, ordered Redline without, can always add it at the dealer.

#19 ·
I like the Sky without. But that's just me. If you like it, get it.:)

#20 ·
I didn't care for the spoiler and didn't order one on my Sky. However, after seeing AggieSky's car in person last weekend, I think they look good after all. But, I'm not changing my order because I've had two Mustangs with spoilers, and each time I washed and dried them (always handwashed--they were convertibles) I would get annoyed with the water that kept dripping out after I had just dried that area. That's a pretty trivial reason, but enough to keep me spoiler-less.

#24 ·
I vote no for the spoiler for a couple reasons.

1)I think that it does take away from the overall lines of the car, especially the two "humps" behind each seat. The two humps add a certain character to the car, and from behind, the spoiler does hide them a slight bit.

2)It's another thing to have to wax around, under, etc. It's height off the deck lid makes it difficult to get to, or clean.

3)It isn't exactly functional. What I mean is that it doesn't add any significant downforce to the car. This spoiler, along with about 75% of all other factory spoilers, are purely for looks, and aren't wind tunnel tested/tuned to provide a measurable difference in handling. A spoiler that's worth my extra money has to either really knock my socks off with looks, or actually be functional.

(I hold the same opinions for hood vents, brake vents, etc. I plan to make my future Redline's Hood vents functional, if they aren't from the factory)

#25 ·
There was an engineer from GM on the Sol forum and your #3 is incorrect.

He claimed that it did in fact add significant downforce at speeds over 60 MPH and improved the overall drag coef for the car.

He was specific to both the Solstice and Sky.

FYI

#26 ·
Thanks again for all your input, i have no idea what to do still. I keep liking it, then not wanting....ahh the back and forth game. I guess the point of i can add it later, but not get rid of the wholes if i get it now are kind of making me lean towards no, at least for the initial time period of owning it. Maybe I should put a poll up...hmmm?

#27 ·
Keep in mind, there is bound to be some aftermarket spoilers for the Sky made by Gravana or others. You will have more choices to choose from than just the factory spoiler if you wait and see what's in the works. They may look better & more agressive if that's the look you're going after or they might even be gaudier than the factory one who knows. But it's all a matter of personal taste as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The factory spoiler in my opinion is "ok" but I felt it cluttered up the back end and distracted from the smooth, clean lines.
Therefore I did not order the spoiler and am happy with my decision...no regrets here. :)

#30 ·
It's all personal tast, you need to get what you will be happy with. Like others have done, you can add it later if you so chose to do so.

#33 ·
I voted no for the same reasons many no voters have already answered.

BUT, I also agree with some of the things the yes voters stated.

Bottom line, it really is a personnal decision. These are my negatives:

Having to drill holes to install--When cleaning adding much more time to get the rear end cleaned & shined up--In spite of what was stated about its funtionality by the rep, I just can't see its effectiveness since of its very low profile, if you don't have enough traction now it won't make any more of a difference--It breaks up the clean look from the rear--If you later change your mind, you have an expense of either plugging up the however many holes drilled, or total replacement of trunk lid--I don't think it really enhances its looks--(again beauty is in the eyes of the beholder)--

Like other options, to add CAI, dual exhaust etc, it is all of a matter of personnal preference for each owner. I plan to add a couple of options, but that is down the road a bit--Right now I just want to enjoy my "plain--stock" Sky as it is--My primary objective on any added options/upgrade will be the preservation of the factory warranty. Finally when I looked on saturns site, it appears they only come in 3 colors, (so far) midnite blue was not one of them--Maybe for MB you must order it at the time the order is put in and it will come from the factory painted as so--I donno--
MB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.