Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
This is somewhat old news, some of the pictures are old too.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
This is somewhat old news, some of the pictures are old too.
thecarconnection.com images are new, we've never seen those before.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Delnari said:
I can confirm that these are recent photos. Need I say more?
The problem is they show nothing new. The Fog lamp grille buisness can be seen on some of the earlier photo's. Besides right now these are nothing but mule cars.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
The problem is they show nothing new. The Fog lamp grille buisness can be seen on some of the earlier photo's. Besides right now these are nothing but mule cars.
The only time we've seen these fog lamp grills before was some small images from the Employee Pricing commercial that had the clay model being used for digital imaging. This is the first time we've seen a GXP in this level of completion. All of the older images had the normal Solstice front fascia that had been chopped to accomidate the intercooler. Also the rear lower fascia had the area for the 2nd exhaust chopped out too instead of a new cast item.

·
Registered
304 Posts
brentil said:
The only time we've seen these fog lamp grills before was some small images from the Employee Pricing commercial that had the clay model being used for digital imaging. This is the first time we've seen a GXP in this level of completion. All of the older images had the normal Solstice front fascia that had been chopped to accomidate the intercooler. Also the rear lower fascia had the area for the 2nd exhaust chopped out too instead of a new cast item.
I concur. The Copper Mountain mules were very rough at front, some even lacking grills, plus they were without the GM logo. This is definitely newer pic and the exhaust certainly looks like dual-dual.

·
Registered
623 Posts
brentil said:
I still think it has a way to go. They have to make the difference obvious to the untrained eye.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
I still think it has a way to go. They have to make the difference obvious to the untrained eye.
It'll say Solstice GXP across the back instead of Solstice. :D

Actually I completely agree with you. I had a very long rant over at the Solstice forum a while back about how to save Pontiac from death. It was back when the rumors started flowing GM was going to axe Pontiac or Buick (now we know they're combining them). Part of my argument in saving Pontiac was every model needed a GXP. It should then also be harder to differentiate the various GXP cars from each other then the base from the GXP. The GXP versions need to be different, very different visually in some way from a base cars so that when your average Joe sees a GXP car they think "wow, thats one of those hot Pontiac GXP cars." Who cares exactly what model it is, just that it sticks in their mind that [A] it's Pontiac and it's HOT. I had suggestions like every GXP should have dual exhaust, hood scoops, brake vents, a spoiler, and a flashy badge. Make the GXP GTO, Solstice, Grand Prix, Vibe all have the same types of visual queues so they all share the same hotness. Put the "Performance" back in Pontiac.

·
Registered
304 Posts
brentil said:
It'll say Solstice GXP across the back instead of Solstice. :D

Actually I completely agree with you. I had a very long rant over at the Solstice forum a while back about how to save Pontiac from death. It was back when the rumors started flowing GM was going to axe Pontiac or Buick (now we know they're combining them). Part of my argument in saving Pontiac was every model needed a GXP. It should then also be harder to differentiate the various GXP cars from each other then the base from the GXP. The GXP versions need to be different, very different visually in some way from a base cars so that when your average Joe sees a GXP car they think "wow, thats one of those hot Pontiac GXP cars." Who cares exactly what model it is, just that it sticks in their mind that [A] it's Pontiac and it's HOT. I had suggestions like every GXP should have dual exhaust, hood scoops, brake vents, a spoiler, and a flashy badge. Make the GXP GTO, Solstice, Grand Prix, Vibe all have the same types of visual queues so they all share the same hotness. Put the "Performance" back in Pontiac.

Brentil I abSOLutely agree with you. When I bought my first GTP in '97 it was the only GP with the decklid spoiler and unique front fascia. Then later they made those standard even on GT. The only way next to tell difference was under the hood. Dual exhausts is one cue, And of course whether you love or hate, a modest rear spolier and front air dam says this car could (if it had a big enough engine and a long enough straightaway) go fast enough that these items are necessary to keep it from going airborne. Both G6 and GP have regular, plus GT and GTP levels and GP has the GXP, "top-of-the-line".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts