Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes squeak more than I feel they should. The dealer insists this is normal because they are metallic. They say these rotors last a lot longer. Although it can be a little embarrassing when I come to stops... "Squeeaaakkk" :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Wash the Sky and the brake dust out of it.....Skip....:lol: :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I'm admitting I'm in no way a car expert...so how do you clean the brake dust out?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Wash the car and when you get to the wheels wash them too. And then spray your wheels and the brake dust will flow with the other dirt on the wheels. Then dry the Sky and drive .....Skip...if it squeeks then take it to the dealership.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I had a Toyota pickup once with squeeky brakes. I took it in for service and they blew the dust out with an air hose and no more squeeks.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
I had a Toyota pickup once with squeeky brakes. I took it in for service and they blew the dust out with an air hose and no more squeeks.
That brake dust that comes off the brakes is some of what gave me Pulmanary Fibrosis... And yes it is BAD for it to settle out in the lower parts of the lungs....Skip..Have IPF going on four years now....:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the brake squeak on my SUV occasionally. My service guy said the brakes are fine...I just need to take it out and "get on" the brakes hard a few times to clear them out. I did it once, but realized I should clear the seats of loose clutter before doing it again. :lol:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I have the brake squeak on my SUV occasionally. My service guy said the brakes are fine...I just need to take it out and "get on" the brakes hard a few times to clear them out. I did it once, but realized I should clear the seats of loose clutter before doing it again. :lol:
General note for all to have. Don't drive with a birthday cake on your passenger seat.....EVER....even with someone holding it saying "oh yeah, it's not going anywhere"

Dog runs out in road. I slam brakes. Cake slams dash. I slam Passenger.

·
Super Moderator
6,570 Posts
Sometimes brake squeal is caused by improper break-in, one reason the owners manual recommends no heavy braking for the first 200 miles after fitting new pads. Too much heat too soon can cause glazing, which can reduce braking performance, and cause squeal.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
If you do blow out the dust, make sure you don't breath that crap--definitely cancer causing stuff, nasty stuff--better to just wash it out, or hose it out with water--You'll see all this black stuff roll down your driveway, and not into your lungs--:D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
If you do blow out the dust, make sure you don't breath that crap--definitely cancer causing stuff, nasty stuff--better to just wash it out, or hose it out with water--You'll see all this black stuff roll down your driveway, and not into your lungs--:D
See post #6 above...Skip...I know what I am talking about....:)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
That brake dust that comes off the brakes is some of what gave me Pulmanary Fibrosis... And yes it is BAD for it to settle out in the lower parts of the lungs....Skip..Have IPF going on four years now....:lol: :lol:
What the heck is funny about that? I happen to have a good friend with Pulmonary Fibrosis!

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
What the heck is funny about that? I happen to have a good friend with Pulmonary Fibrosis!
Skip isn't making fun of it - he's dealing with it...

A girl I went to undergrad with took her car in and asked to mechanic to change the oil on her brakes 'cause they were squeeking.

:thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
I have had IPF going on four years now . I go to the Vanderbilt clinic at least once a month so that they can medically chart my downfall. I cannot be cured and it is terminal most of the time. I deal with my day to day activities and will eventually take that last breath. I go on with my life in the best humor I can . Only God knows the time of my death I know by what means....No nothing funny about IPF, it is something I deal with every day....Skip...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Sorry

I am sorry about hi-jacking this thread and want to get it back on track...When I was an auto mechanic I would wash the brake dust off the brakes after I found out the chemicals to make the linings were ultrafine particals. You do not want to blow the fine particles around but if you spray them with water the dust just flows out. Sometimes it will still make a noise and that is all right but it should not be a sustained noise as you increase pedal pressure....Skip...Now have I cornfused yall enough?:)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Your right. Brake dust is not something to play with. The Toyota I had was a 1980 pickup. Back then the techs may not have been aware of the dangers of brake dust. I would think that todays auto shops would not use air to clean dust off the brakes.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Too Funny

General note for all to have. Don't drive with a birthday cake on your passenger seat.....EVER....even with someone holding it saying "oh yeah, it's not going anywhere"

Dog runs out in road. I slam brakes. Cake slams dash. I slam Passenger.
:lol: The mental picture cracks me up!!
Theresa

1 - 17 of 17 Posts