Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been noticing an annoying squeaking noise coming from the rear of the car. It only happens with the top down while going over bumpy roads, and is more prominent on the passenger side. My hubby seems to think it's the 2 little springs on each side of the top that sit just under the trunk lid right near the 'humps'. He is tempted to spray some WD-40 on them to see if it helps with the squeaking. Does anybody else have this squeaking noise...and if so, is it advisable to use WD-40 on those springs?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
No squeeky here... And lots of bumpy RXR crossings to test that on:thumbs:

·
Registered
149 Posts
My squeaks come from the guide posts on the front edge of the top and the rests that they are sitting on in the truck, with the top down, rubbing together steel on steel where the padding has worn through. Have not found a good why to stop this. Tried putting some other cloth on the rests but it wore through also. The next thing I'm going to try is some plastic pads on the rests.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have the sqeek on the left side. I just turn the radio up.:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
No squeaking yet, right now, but I am usually hearing the fan noise. I guess it comes down to "the squeaking part gets the grease"...oh that was horrible I know.:lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
SKYMAN 07 Where are you?

Iffen I remember correctly did you not have a fix for the top aligning posts squeak? I think it was a two part epoxy to paint the resting places of the posts in the down position? Right now they rest on a thin strip of velcro ike cloth that will not stay put. Skip....we need ya man ....:) :) :)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Sorry baby, no squeak

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have the squeak on occaisions too. If I don't "set" the top when I drop it, ie. push it into position, then it squeaks. Not a lot and not all the time. I find it kind of a cool quirk. It doesn't bug me a lot and I have found that the radio volume trick works wonders.

I do think that the first place to look is the velcro covering on the positioning posts. Mine seems to slide around a bit. Looking for a better post cover - when I get a round to it.

:D

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a pic somewhere on this forum of these "velcro posts" that everyone has mentioned here? And if so, can somebody either post the link or kindly point me in the right direction? My hubby still insists that it's the springs...so I would like to at least show him that it could possibly be something else.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
nscrbug said:
Is there a pic somewhere on this forum of these "velcro posts" that everyone has mentioned here? And if so, can somebody either post the link or kindly point me in the right direction? My hubby still insists that it's the springs...so I would like to at least show him that it could possibly be something else.
Here we go. Put your top almost all the way down. Look mat the locating pins as you push and seat the top. You will see the pins rest in an L shaped bracket. That L shaped bracket has a piece of one sided cloth . One side has glue and one side has cloth. The glue side is on the bracket. It comes loose. It slips and allows the pin at rest to rub on the bracket. That is where your squeak is. Skip.... since Skyman wont answer I will go back through these archives and see iffen I can find that post that was on the fix for the problem.....:lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
A cure for the squeak is wrap the bracket in heavy duty cloth such as velcro, secure it, rubber bands might work. seat the top in said brackets and close back deck, drive until tired and put top up.... Next day when top goes down see if it squeaks again....Skip.....:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well....I done as you suggested, Skip. I went out to the fabric store and bought about a foot long worth of heavy duty material...the kind that backpack straps are made of. I measured out how much I would need to go completely around the L-bracket, then I sewed some velcro fasteners onto each end and secured it around the brackets. We shall know today if it worked or not. :D The car was at my dealer yesterday for the CAI install and I mentioned the squeak to the tech. He checked with other Saturn techs and found out that the complaint is a very common one...and yes, it has to do with that cheap piece of felt on the bracket wearing through. He did order some double-thickness felt...so if my idea doesn't work, I'll try the stuff he ordered as a "plan B". I'm also going to try and pull the bracket out a bit more so as to get the pins to seat inside of it...right now they rest on top of it which I suspect may also contribute to the squeaking noise since they are not secured inside the brackets.

Edited for an update:

My 'fix' seems to be working for now...no squeaks! YAY!!!!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
I am happy that tha squeak is gone. That fix was given to me by SKYMAN. Thank you SKYMAN. Dang lurker.....Skip....:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts