Saturn Sky Forum banner

Sky Staggered Wheel Set Poll - Which Size Do You Want?

• 18-Inch

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • 19-Inch

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • 20-Inch

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • 18 Front/19 Rear Combo

• 18 Front/20 Rear Combo

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • 19 Front/20 Rear Combo

• I don't need a wider rear wheel.

Votes: 21 38.2%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you are like me, a wider rear tire is an absolute must for maximum handling and traction. I am curious to see who is interested in staggered wheels and what diameter(s) you want.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
No need for anything different

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Can you say UNDER-STEER!!!

If there is any consensus about what the SKY does at the handling limit, according to many magazine reports, is that, in stock form, it under-steers mildly. If you put larger wheels/tires on the rear as compared to the front, I believe you will worsen this condition and make the SKY under-steer more...:mad:

Any comments on this??? :thumbs:

Regards,

BA...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wouldn't change it at all. The car handles and looks perfectly balanced as is. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If there is any consensus about what the SKY does at the handling limit, according to many magazine reports, is that, in stock form, it under-steers mildly. If you put larger wheels/tires on the rear as compared to the front, I believe you will worsen this condition and make the SKY under-steer more...:mad:

Any comments on this??? :thumbs:

Regards,

BA...
With adjustable coil-overs, factory sway bars and bushings, mine still pushes slightly less than OEM on stock tires. The front end seems to grab better. Sway bars are next on my list to help adjust any over/under steering issues with the handling. I went through similar issues with my GTO when we went from 8 to 9.5 in the rear, and the car pushed much more driving out of corners, but coil-overs and sway bars allowed us to get back to a more neutral handling. Handling issues will vary from owner to owner. However, the #1 complaint I get from owners is that they have added more power, and need a wider tire to get the power to the ground. I am pushing over 300HP with the Turbo, and my car gets sideways coming out of some corners at WOT. Additionally, many people want the wider rear wheel with a deeper lip for appearance. Hey, personalization is a great thing. To each their own!

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
With adjustable coil-overs, factory sway bars and bushings, mine still pushes slightly less than OEM on stock tires. The front end seems to grab better. Sway bars are next on my list to help adjust any over/under steering issues with the handling. I went through similar issues with my GTO when we went from 8 to 9.5 in the rear, and the car pushed much more driving out of corners, but coil-overs and sway bars allowed us to get back to a more neutral handling. Handling issues will vary from owner to owner. However, the #1 complaint I get from owners is that they have added more power, and need a wider tire to get the power to the ground. I am pushing over 300HP with the Turbo, and my car gets sideways coming out of some corners at WOT. Additionally, many people want the wider rear wheel with a deeper lip for appearance. Hey, personalization is a great thing. To each their own!
I agree... For looks, no doubt it would look killer. But as you already mentioned, the staggered wheel on the SKY would require some other adjustments to get back to the same kind of handling. Some may not want to go there but, they need to know that if they do this, they will have a somewhat ill effect on front-end grip as compared to stock. :willy:

Many years ago I raced my 1990 Honda CRX Si (Modified) in Auto-X's with the SCCA and for looks, I had 16x7 wheels with 205/40 tires, but for handling purposes I went to 15x7 wheels and 205/50 tires just because it would actually grip better than with the 16's.

Just something to keep in mind!!! :thumbs:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree... For looks, no doubt it would look killer. But as you already mentioned, the staggered wheel on the SKY would require some other adjustments to get back to the same kind of handling. Some may not want to go there but, they need to know that if they do this, they will have a somewhat ill effect on front-end grip as compared to stock. :willy:

Many years ago I raced my 1990 Honda CRX Si (Modified) in Auto-X's with the SCCA and for looks, I had 16x7 wheels with 205/40 tires, but for handling purposes I went to 15x7 wheels and 205/50 tires just because it would actually grip better than with the 16's.

Just something to keep in mind!!! :thumbs:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:
That is a great point. Ill effect is definitely not the case so far, but I will keep aware of it on my next project. I have driven the Solstice with a 9" rear on a 265/30-19 tire and OEM suspension, and the car handles fine, with no additional push. I have noticed one thing on all Skys/Sols that have gone to a larger wheel diameter and lower profile tire; the cars feel lighter in the corners, yet still very smooth and easy to drive. (Can you tell I love these cars!!!)

·
Registered
22 Posts
19x8.5 up front and 20x10 in the rear :)

nice 2'' lip difference as well.

thats what we are running on the car currently

needed to widen the car a bit :) but its all good

1 - 12 of 12 Posts