Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stale slightly moldy smell coming from the vents. You smell it just as you turn on the AC, but more so when you turn the fan on without AC (vent only). I am guessing there is or has been some moisture in the vent system.

My question is does anyone know a trick that might clear up the smell? I've heard you can spray AC duct cleaner, but not sure where or how to do it.

You guys have been a great source of information on our new Sky!
Thanks!
:cool:

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
BG Frigi-fresh, or just Fabreeze, sprayed into the cabin air intake with the fan on high (to suck it through) will get rid of it for a while.

To stop it happening again, turn your A/C off before you complete your journey but leave the fan on to dry out the condensation around the heat-exchanger. That way your vent innards are dry when you leave your car and the mildew doesn't form.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's all about prevention, as TomatoSoup mentioned. Always turn off the AC, but run the fan on cool to dry out the system a few minutes before your destination.

You can purchase specifically made chemicals that have a fungicide in them that kills mildew and mold. I can't remember what the brand name was, but I think I got it from a NAPA a LONG time ago. Just apply as TS mentioned. It will get rid of the smell, and kill off the stuff that's growing in there and causing the stink, and get rid of who knows what other allergic/toxic reactions to the mold/mildew you or your passengers may have.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where is the cabin air intake? I think it is the mesh covered "hole" on both sides at the base of the windshield, but not sure.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Cabin air intake is under the glove box where the fan is located.....Skip.....:):D:)

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
My husband just suggested that there is usually a tray under the compressor to catch drips and funnel water out of a tube to drain.... It could be the tube isn't draining and the water is pooling up and getting stagnant.

He deals with a different brand, but suggests the systems are generally similar.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I remember that I had a Cavalier in 1990 that had this problem and the dealer hooked up some sort of device that would run the blower fan for about 10 minutes after the car was turned off so it would dry everything out. Never had the problem again. Wonder if something would be available for our cars.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
My husband just suggested that there is usually a tray under the compressor to catch drips and funnel water out of a tube to drain.... It could be the tube isn't draining and the water is pooling up and getting stagnant.

He deals with a different brand, but suggests the systems are generally similar.
Actually, the tray is located under the evaporator assembly inside next to the heater core. The tray has a tube that drains the excessive moisture build up on the evaporator housing and the condensate drains from the tube to an outside place under the passenger side. Iffen the tube gets mud or such in it , of course it will not drain. Me thinks that is your problem.....Skip.....:):D:)

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Actually, the tray is located under the evaporator assembly inside next to the heater core. The tray has a tube that drains the excessive moisture build up on the evaporator housing and the condensate drains from the tube to an outside place under the passenger side. Iffen the tube gets mud or such in it , of course it will not drain. Me thinks that is your problem.....Skip.....:):D:)
LIkely my translation was a bit off, but sounds like what you are describing :) Thanks for being more specific!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Realize I’m reviving an old thread.
Getting a bit of musty odor from the vent system. Car was not used much by the previous owner, and I suspect moisture was able to form in the vents. Do I need to lift up the panel under the wiper arms to access the cabin air intake from outside the cabin.
Seems like I saw this somewhere, but can’t locate the post

·
Registered
403 Posts
Realize I’m reviving an old thread.
Getting a bit of musty odor from the vent system. Car was not used much by the previous owner, and I suspect moisture was able to form in the vents. Do I need to lift up the panel under the wiper arms to access the cabin air intake from outside the cabin.
Seems like I saw this somewhere, but can’t locate the post
Are we equipped with a cabin filter? If so, if like to know how to access it as well. I've got 80k in the clock, and I suspect it likely has not been changed.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
The air intake is on the passenger side just in front of the base of the windshield. See the fine mesh and hexagonal screen in the pic below (this is a web pic, ignore the red circle). To get deep inside you'd have to remove that panel, yes.

There is no cabin filter (sorry, this always amuses me when the question is asked for a convertible :) ).

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
We bought our Sky that had previously spent significant time parked oudoors. I removed the panel under the windshield wipers and found mounds of debris like rotting pine needles and such. Also, the bottom of the air intake chamber (the hexagonal screened pattern TomatoSoup pictures, has a simple rubber check valve at the bottom. Mine was all plugged up with mud and more debris accumulated. The musty odor from the HVAC system was improved after I cleaned up everything real well.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I will spray through the check valve and get cleaner into the system. I may lift the panel and have a look, but it’s a 9k car and was always stored indoors and incredibly clean.
I‘m thinking it just got shut off after the air had been on and the vents not dried out properly.
I will keep you posted as to what progress is made.
It isn’t bad, but it’s there.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Update:
Used the spray duct cleaner per instructions and got pretty good results. Just for good measure, I was able to borrow a friend’s ozone machine and ran it with the car closed up and the A/C on.
Pretty well got rid of the problem.

Reactions: dlvh
1 - 17 of 17 Posts