Saturn Sky Forum banner

Standard Suspension Quality?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  virginiasky 
#1 ·
I currently have an Avalanche and have become accustomed to a very smooth ride and I know that it's a roadster not a lux vehic., but how smooth is the ride? Do you feel every crack in the road? Just don't want the "go-cart" feel that I felt in my mom's new bug convert.

#2 ·
SKY SCRPR said:
I currently have an Avalanche and have become accustomed to a very smooth ride and I know that it's a roadster not a lux vehic., but how smooth is the ride? Do you feel every crack in the road? Just don't want the "go-cart" feel that I felt in my mom's new bug convert.
I test drove a Solstice and I found the ride a little hard. Of course it was in the middle of January and the car hadn't had any time to warm up.

#3 ·
the shocks are blistin in the sky, a very well known manufater of great aftermarket shocks. This is not the case with the solstice, i would have to say the suspession is going to be amazing in this car.

#4 ·
ruledawg said:
the shocks are blistin in the sky, a very well known manufater of great aftermarket shocks. This is not the case with the solstice, i would have to say the suspession is going to be amazing in this car.
According to the Pontiac website...the Sol DOES have Bilsteins..just like the Sky. I've copied and pasted the info right from the site:

Suspension
As heat predictably builds during performance maneuvers, precision formed Bilstein® coil-over monotube shocks aid in maintaining Solstice’s full damping characteristics and excellent wheel control. Such legendary coil-overs allow the four-wheel fully independent Short/Long Arm (SLA) modified double wishbone suspension to devote undivided attention to optimizing ride quality, handling, and cornering, all while isolating road noise. Even its production settings are well suited—some would say poised— for autocross or competitive grassroots racing (certainly, .90g lateral grip* on the skidpad is another decisive draw).

Available as a performance option, the limited-slip differential typically divides power equally to Solstice’s rear wheels. Yet on compromised surfaces like snow, gravel, or ice, it sends power to the one with greatest traction.

#5 ·
Exact same hardware shared by both cars, so in other words they both have Bilsteins as mentioned.

I had a ZX2 S/R before my Solstice and it had lowering springs and tuned shocks from Ford Racing as part of the S/R package. The Solstice is far an beyond smoother then that, but it gives up a little on handling for it. It's not soem 3500+ lbs luxury sedan so don't expect that, but for a small sports car I find it very pleasing. My wife loves the Solstice suspension and she hates rough riding cars.

#6 ·
When I test drove the Sky, I found the suspension to be smoother-riding than that of my V6 Mustang. I didn't get to really test the handling, so I don't know if the handling suffered. On a freeway exit ramp, the car handled the corner well enough to make use of the bolsters on the seats. That's as much handling testing as I got.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.