Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Now I don't feel so guilty buying the cheapest oil filters for my vehicles. I also buy the basic AC Delco oil filters for my Sky

·
Premium Member
08 Redline. RPM"s CAI, charge pipes, Intercooler, CAT delete & ECM Tune. DIY tunnel brace. ProBeam.
213 Posts
Now I don't feel so guilty buying the cheapest oil filters for my vehicles. I also buy the basic AC Delco oil filters for my Sky
I’m with you. There was always this little voice shaming me for being such a cheap ass, but now I feel vindicated!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I’m with you. There was always this little voice shaming me for being such a cheap ass, but now I feel vindicated!
I also buy the cheapest "full synthetic" oil I find on sale. I used to buy Quaker State at a great price, but lately the best deals are Citgo and the Blain's Farm & Fleet brand. I religiously change the oil every 5000 miles on my everyday vehicles, but done annually on my Sky which is roughly every 1000 miles. I don't push my vehicles hard. I am no racer.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't surprised that the paper filter was effective. I WAS surprised how poorly the steel filter did.

The idea and concept of a filter you only have to clean is awesome, but apparently not practical at this point in time.

I honestly didn't know fiberglass filters were a thing.

Like you guys, I no longer feel bad about usimg Walmart filters. I usually did Valvoline fir oil, but my next change I'm planning to do Motul and give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Another sort was the felt filter. Crosland in the UK makes and I always used them on my race cars as you could remove them and take them off a wire core and spread them out to closely examine whether any 'sparkle' was coming out of the bearings - a sort of latter day 'reading the entrails' of the beast to see what the omens were.

• Haha
Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
On all my vehicles with the typical steel casing for the oil filter (not applicable to the Sky) I place an old computer hard drive magnet on the end to collect steel & iron particles. They are "EXTREMELY" strong, ideal for the application....and they are free. There I go again, showing my frugality.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
822 Posts
I also buy the cheapest "full synthetic" oil I find on sale. I used to buy Quaker State at a great price, but lately the best deals are Citgo and the Blain's Farm & Fleet brand. I religiously change the oil every 5000 miles on my everyday vehicles, but done annually on my Sky which is roughly every 1000 miles. I don't push my vehicles hard. I am no racer.
My dad did the original testing of Mobil One, still have friends with Exxon/Mobil and still get free cases of Mobil One as needed. It’s a great perk until they finally end it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The television show "Engine Masters" did a full shootout on the dyno of all the major brands of filters. I couldn't find it on youtube but it's on the Motor Trend channel if you have it available. Long story short the K&N gold was the winner. I highly recommend the show if you can get it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The mentioned problem with the tested stainless filter was that it had less surface area than the others which clogged faster and theoretically will reduce oil pressure to the bearings. Jet engines use stainless oil filters because they are far superior. Filters need to be sized right. Paper filters can easily disintegrate under certain conditions.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I imagine different paper filter brands offer various quantities of pleats for more or less filtering surface area.

Changing my A/C Delco filter recently, one with another, even they vary. One had less plastic/longer pleats, the other had more plastic, shorter pleats. Go figure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts