Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should remember this since I lived through it a few years ago, but my memory fails me.

I just bought a second-hand OEM steering wheel (to get nicer leather) which came with raised buttons and the complete wire harness out the back that would plug into the steering column.

My Sky has flush steering wheel buttons (it always did) which means the connections at the buttons won't accept raised button assemblies. Button assemblies are not interchangeable at the wire harness there.

My question is......

On the opposite side of the wire harness, the single connector that plugs into the steering column, is that compatible? Will a complete steering wheel assembly (with raised buttons) plug and play with my Sky's steering column originally equipped with flush buttons?

·
Banned
18,850 Posts
I had the flush buttons and switched to raised....the harness is compatible..no problem there. The buttons on the right side work fine. It is the left side. They changed the wiring position of 2 of the buttons. You have to experiment which wires they changed. I am sorry but I am not removing my air bag and looking which goes to where...good luck.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Mike for the reply.

As it turns out, the left and right button pods on the replacement steering wheel are not the same color silver as my original. They have a light bronze look about them that I don't care for. I wonder what car the replacement steering wheel came out of. Maybe a Solstice?

So if I was to try applying the raised buttons, I would want to dissect all 4 and attempt to swap the physical plastic raised buttons alone to retain the bright silver finish, and I wonder if that is even possible.

I think I just talked myself into keeping my flush buttons and swap wire harnesses with them.

·
Administrator
8,233 Posts
I should remember this since I lived through it a few years ago, but my memory fails me.

I just bought a second-hand OEM steering wheel (to get nicer leather) which came with raised buttons and the complete wire harness out the back that would plug into the steering column.

My Sky has flush steering wheel buttons (it always did) which means the connections at the buttons won't accept raised button assemblies. Button assemblies are not interchangeable at the wire harness there.

My question is......

On the opposite side of the wire harness, the single connector that plugs into the steering column, is that compatible? Will a complete steering wheel assembly (with raised buttons) plug and play with my Sky's steering column originally equipped with flush buttons?
The manual shows that the connectors there are the same, so it appears that the entire wheel assembly can be replaced without issue. That said, I have not done it, so this is all conjecture.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
As it turns out, the left and right button pods on the replacement steering wheel are not the same color silver as my original. They have a light bronze look about them that I don't care for.
If you don’t mind, could you snap a pic of the different colored bezel as well as what a flat button looks like? Can’t recall ever seeing one now.

·
Banned
18,850 Posts
The manual shows that the connectors there are the same, so it appears that the entire wheel assembly can be replaced without issue. That said, I have not done it, so this is all conjecture.
John....I don't care what the manual shows...I can tell u from experience...the left side buttons from a 2007 are in different positions electronically from the 2008. There are 2 different slots that were switched on the left side.

·
Administrator
8,233 Posts
John....I don't care what the manual shows...I can tell u from experience...the left side buttons from a 2007 are in different positions electronically from the 2008. There are 2 different slots that were switched on the left side.
That is the switch in the steering wheel, and I agree that there are two different configurations.
I believe, however, that the question was about the connection from the steering wheel to the car.

·
Banned
18,850 Posts
That is the switch in the steering wheel, and I agree that there are two different configurations.
I believe, however, that the question was about the connection from the steering wheel to the car.
There was actually 2 questions....the harness which is identical...and then the buttons which he did not realize they are not identical,,,which I pointed out.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was my initial question.

If you had a flush buttoned steering wheel assembly, and a raised buttoned wheel assembly, are the two different configurations seamlessly interchangeable when plugging into the steering column?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, I have some breaking news concerning compatibility between older flush steering wheel control buttons, and the later raised ones.

I bought what I call a "loaded" raised button steering wheel from HoosierGXP because it included the raised buttons and the wiring harness together as a complete assembly. I simply switched steering wheels, flush-to-raised, and went for a drive.

Everything works as it should, so my conclusion is......The connectors and pin-outs at the clock spring "ARE" compatible. So "Loaded" steering wheels are seamlessly interchangable.

I hope this answers the question people here including myself, were wondering about.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Sky didn’t come with the radio controls, I’m wondering if the car is pre wired and a “loaded” steering wheel swap would give me remote radio control.
You ask an interesting question of which could be answered by trying it and see. But naturally money would be involved to find out.

·
Banned
18,850 Posts
Bill....if I remember, if your car did not come with both sides...the harness which connects all the buttons will not work...GM was cheap with their harnesses. They tried to save money with wiring the car.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RJ, You are correct. However with the wealth of knowledge and experience on this site I’m going to try patience first….. 🤔
I believe you can easily determine compatibility by simply removing your air bag and compare your clock spring's active and dead pins to these pictures of my full-button steering wheel harness.

Note my connector has 10 positions but only 8 wires. There are two unused positions on the far left.
Electrical wiring Circuit component Material property Cable Electronic component

In this picture, the two unused pins are on the far right.
Disconnect the connector on your Sky and look at the mating connector on the clock spring. You will need to have eight live pins and two dead pins (no metal) in the same positions to have any chance at this working for you.
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

Removing the air bag for this simple inspection is very easily accomplished.

1) Disconnect your battery and wait a half hour for capacitors to discharge
2) Locate the two holes in the side of the steering wheel shroud, one on each side
3) Insert a steel rod into one hole and feel for a metal bar inside
4) press on the metal bar while lifting the airbag on that same side
5) After the airbag lifts a little, repeat on the other hole
6) The airbag is then released and you can now inspect the steering wheel clock spring connector.

To reinstall the airbag, simply place into postion and press to "click" it back on.

·
Administrator
8,233 Posts
I believe you can easily determine compatibility by simply removing your air bag and compare your clock spring's active and dead pins to these pictures of my full-button steering wheel harness.

Note my connector has 10 positions but only 8 wires. There are two unused positions on the far left.
View attachment 120242
In this picture, the two unused pins are on the far right.
Disconnect the connector on your Sky and look at the mating connector on the clock spring. You will need to have eight live pins and two dead pins (no metal) in the same positions to have any chance at this working for you.
View attachment 120243
Removing the air bag for this simple inspection is very easily accomplished.

1) Disconnect your battery and wait a half hour for capacitors to discharge
2) Locate the two holes in the side of the steering wheel shroud, one on each side
3) Insert a steel rod into one hole and feel for a metal bar inside
4) press on the metal bar while lifting the airbag on that same side
5) After the airbag lifts a little, repeat on the other hole
6) The airbag is then released and you can now inspect the steering wheel clock spring connector.

To reinstall the airbag, simply place into postion and press to "click" it back on.
I have only been able to find one part number for the airbag steering wheel coil ("clockspring") so this check may not be useful. I have also only found one partnumber for the IP wiring harness.

This is certainly not definitive, since absence of information does not mean that it isn't there, but it does suggest that the steering wheel is all that is needed.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have only been able to find one part number for the airbag steering wheel coil ("clockspring") so this check may not be useful. I have also only found one partnumber for the IP wiring harness.

This is certainly not definitive, since absence of information does not mean that it isn't there, but it does suggest that the steering wheel is all that is needed.
Ah, that is a good method of research......the various clock springs, rather the lack thereof.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts