Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I utilize the steering wheel stereo functions at high speeds, the buttons have a mind of their own. For example, I turn up the volume, but the volume goes down or goes back and forth. When I click to go to the next song, it skips out of control and sometimes back to track 1.

Has this happened to anyone or is this just I sign I need to slow down

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection...take it in...

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Sounds like too much air pressure in your tires and very rough roads.:D :lol: You will need to take better aim at the buttons.:jester:

(Sorry, coundn't help myself. Your controls in the steering wheels are f'ed up or the slip ring in the column is dirty. Seriously, not kidding now.)

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Controls

I never particularly cared for controls on the steering wheel - especially if you have to make a turn while you are also trying to change the channel.

The best setup (in my opinion) was on my 1986 Acura Legend - the dash had a hood (for lack of a better word) around it that extended out on each side to within reach of your finger tips for controls such as the radio volume - so the controls were always in the same place - you could reach them without taking your hands off the steering wheel - and even while turning you could use one hand to move the streeing wheel - and the other to guide/hold the wheel - while still operating the control buttons.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I never use those controls...... Old school I guess:lol:

·
Super Moderator
11,511 Posts
I rarely use the controls on the steering wheel (other than mute) because the radio is just in the perfect position to reach it with your hand on the stick shift. Now on my Grand Prix the radio isn't so easily accessable so I constantly use the steering wheel controls. Guess it just depends on the vehicle.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Reflash of the radio

About two months ago , someone had this problem as well as hearing other things thru the radio. The dealership reflashed the radio controls to fix it..It would be worth a try. Skip.:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ive had trouble with mine. The mute button would activate when I hit any other stereo button. Only happened once, so not too concerned yet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Auto Volume setting

What is likely happening is that you have the "Auto" volume control enabled. This feature actually works well. What it does is adjust for changing ambient noise levels in the cabin (due to wind and other external noises realized in a sky with the top down) by automatically raising the volume when it gets noisy at high speeds then lowering it when it gets quiet after you slow down or stop. Changing the volume at high speeds really messes with this system and is likely what you are hearing. Try changing the system to its least aggressive setting or disabling it altogether. You can access it by hitting "Menu" on your stereo. Hope that helps. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
My hand is usually on the gear shift, which is inches from the radio. Easier to reach it than the steering wheel. If they were on the left side....

·
7,052 Posts
I wish I had the right hand controls on my steering wheel, bought the car off the lot and had no choice on what It came with.. Walked into the Saturn dealership to use the rest room and came out with a new 2009 Sky... I ask about the steering wheel (right hand) controls, the parts department said something like $2,000 to install... The guy said they have to run new wires down the steering shaft to the radio and OnStar rear view mirror....
I would think those wires would be there already for the right hand controls?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
As with all my cars I forget the buttons are even on the steering wheel. Really they don't make sense in a car that you can reach everything.

Even in my Explorer they are useless. I never think about them because I can reach the stereo and AC controls. Even in my Expedition they are still close enough to use without effort. This is with the seat all the way back as far it will go.

Heck my wife is short and she has to move the seat where her chest is compressed on the airbag. If you can't reach everything one foot from the dash you have problems!

If you have to look at the wheel and figure out which button does what by that time one does that you would have had a wreck.

The only button on the steering wheel I am interested in is the HORN make that a big button!

I guess maybe really short midgets, fat, obese lazy people and small children would benefit from the steering wheel buttons noting there head would be even line with the wheel maybe there arms are too short to reach the extra inch it takes to work the stereo buttons.

Serioulsy when a human has reached that level of lazy or immobility they need to start taking public transportation.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Maybe, some choose to keep TWO hands on the wheel instead of playing with the radio. Maybe, if someone doesn't have the ability of USING THEIR THUMB them THEY should be on a bus.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Maybe, some choose to keep TWO hands on the wheel instead of playing with the radio. Maybe, if someone doesn't have the ability of USING THEIR THUMB them THEY should be on a bus.
I must have hit a cord on that post. Something ringing a little too true there Snapperbob?

I say, how will you work the AC/Heat thats not on the wheel or change the traction control or even switch gears in a manual? That said you always have a hand less than an inch from the stereo. :lol:

Again steering controls are useless in the Sky and my post above applies :cool:

I may be all thumbs, but at least I know when to use my middle finger!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I must have hit a cord on that post. Something ringing a little too true there Snapperbob?

I say, how will you work the AC/Heat thats not on the wheel or change the traction control or even switch gears in a manual. That said you always have a hand less than an inch from the stereo. :lol:

Again steering controls are useless in the Sky and my post above applies :cool:

I may be all thumbs, but at least I know when to use my middle finger!

:thumbs:
Some people can't help themselves. People like you give the rest of use boosts in self esteem. This is another case of what YOU think MUST be true for the rest of the world. I guess professional race drivers should start riding in commuter busses since SO many of their car's controls are mounted on ..............

wait for it ...............................

their STEERING WHEELS.

A$$hole.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Some people can't help themselves. People like you give the rest of use boosts in self esteem. This is another case of what YOU think MUST be true for the rest of the world. I guess professional race drivers should start riding in commuter busses since SO many of their car's controls are mounted on ..............

wait for it ...............................

their STEERING WHEELS.

I was not going to respond to this post, but I just wanted to show you my next "Race Car"

Find me a steering Radio Control button in my 250 MPH car? Find one in the Ferrrai you can't! Even to change the sport settings in the Ferrrai you have to be at a complete stop.

Again Steering controls in sports cars are useless unless you drive an F1 car where your arms are limited to 1" and there is no dash and the steering wheel is the dash. Then steering controls and a screen are good.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Race? ALMS, GT1, GT2, IRL, WRC, F1, F2, A1GP, and others.

Street? Ferrari, Porsche, MB, Maserati, AM, Rolls, Bentley, Cadillac, Fords, Chryslers, japcrap, and endless others. ALL the owners of THOSE cars should scrap their cars and take a bus.

More? Delphi Advanced Steering Wheel Controls

More? Ever seen the control yoke on a passenger jet? BUTTONS ON THE WHEEL. Pilots need to ride on busses.

Of course, my TR8 has NO buttons on the wheel. NONE. Not even a horn button. It's on the blinker stalk. If one can't adapt, STAY IN BED.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Race? ALMS, GT1, GT2, IRL, WRC, F1, F2, A1GP, and others.

Street? Ferrari, Porsche, MB, Maserati, AM, Rolls, Bentley, Cadillac, Fords, Chryslers, japcrap, and endless others. ALL the owners of THOSE cars should scrap their cars and take a bus. As for ultra high speed street cars - Novitec Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano Steering Wheel Photo Buttons AND levers.

More? Delphi Advanced Steering Wheel Controls

More? Ever seen the control yoke on a passenger jet? BUTTONS ON THE WHEEL. Pilots need to ride on busses.

Of course, my TR8 has NO buttons on the wheel. NONE. Not even a horn button. It's on the blinker stalk. If one can't adapt, STAY IN BED.

PWNED

1 - 20 of 35 Posts