Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heya familam!

I'm finally getting around to finishing winter Sky projects after the super busy holiday.

There are lots of helpful videos on this topic, but I thought I'd add some pictures of this process. It may not be COMPLETE, but I will do my best, and will happily answer questions.

Here's the video I used for removal:

All the tools needed to get the entire wheel off (wheel nut is 21mm).
Pliers Snips Fishing lure Fishing bait Hand tool

Here is the locking nylon nut and PN (11609658). YOU REALLY SHOULD PUT A NEW ONE ON.
Sleeve Font Material property Electric blue Rectangle

Unhook the car battery for 30 minutes or more and discharge the electricity in the system (I'm not responsible for exploding air bags y'all).

Two holes on either side of the wheel. Use a skinny allen key to push a lever inside the hole. Lightly pull the airbag out as the lever is pressed. Repeat on the other side and the airbag pops out.
Automotive tire Sleeve Grey Finger Comfort

Use flathead to carefully lift clear plastic locking clips. Use needlenose pliers to release and pull connector off.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel Hood Auto part

Use flathead screwdriver to release black clip carefully. Now that the airbag is out, lightly pull/rock the wheel out side to side. The wheel will come loose, but carefully set it on your lap. The black wire and black connector for the steering controls is fragile. Use the flathead screwdriver to unlock and carefully pull out the black connector.
Wheel Speedometer Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Ta-da! The wheel is off. Throw away that nylon nut, and use the new one... To get the horn mechanism off use a 4mm Allen wrench. They're torqued on pretty good, so make sure to be careful. After that it's 4 total small screws (2 front, 2 back) to remove the buttons and black plastic wheel cover.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Steering part

I did a mock-up to see how it would look with the OEM grey button cover. I decided to black it out.
Grey Audio equipment Automotive design Auto part Personal protective equipment

I'm working on blacking out the button surrounds. Learning to wrap at the same time. Relief cuts and heat are important. You also HAVE to take out the buttons. It's so much easier that way.
Wood Font Auto part Camera lens Tool

Automotive tire Steering part Tire Alloy wheel Automotive lighting

Annnnnd I'm done. Did it in 6 hours with lots of breaks for other stuff. Tarkov anyone? Probably could have had it done (including wrapping the plastic button shrouds) in 2 ish hours if I had focused on it.

The steering wheel popped right on the car. The steering rack/column "bolt" has a notch that lines up with the wheel. The nut torque is 27ft lbs. Every plug is color coded, so it's idiot (me) proof.
Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

After connecting the cables, the airbag neatly clicked back into the wheel.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Cool!

Now when you say "black out the buttons" I assume you mean the surrounds? If so, be careful. At one point I was going to paint mine body color. I tried that on a spare set of surrounds I got from someone, but the paint I used (body match rattle can from Automotivetouchup.com) did not play well with what's on there from the factory and it wrinkled terribly. YPMD (Your Paint May Differ :) )

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool!

Now when you say "black out the buttons" I assume you mean the surrounds? If so, be careful. At one point I was going to paint mine body color. I tried that on a spare set of surrounds I got from someone, but the paint I used (body match rattle can from Automotivetouchup.com) did not play well with what's on there from the factory and it wrinkled terribly. YPMD (Your Paint May Differ :) )
Just updated with my progress. I hope to be done tonight. Will update the post with more!

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome breakdown! I really like that wheel, what brand or part number is it? Might have to grab one for myself honestly.:love:
Thanks for the positivity bruv!
It's made by Revesol, sold on eBay, and listed as a C6 wheel. When I posted it on here and Facebook, it sold out fast. I've been checking on and off for the last year. Got super lucky. Just periodically search on eBay, and you'll strike gold eventually. Best of luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts