Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry. I know this question has been asked before...

But where would I go to search for a custom steering wheel for a Saturn Sky?

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,354 Posts
A custom steering wheel maker....perhaps. Why don't u just put in custom steering wheel maker on any search site....ie, google, aol., etc. There are so many of them to be found.

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
You really only have a couple options when it comes to our steering wheels. Have a local interior shop recover the wheel in your choice of leather, get a Corvette steering wheel, or scgarageworks.com. I went the last option and love mine. A few others have their wheels too and like them. They are not cheap, but for what they are, they are very reasonable.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Happy with my Corvette Grand Sport wheel, and you can't beat the price. I think it was around $200.

Though, despite what I said previously, I will change my position on the alcantara. It was great for a few years, but slowly moisture has really killed it. Unless your car is only ever parked in a climate controlled, humidity controlled garage, and you only ever use driving gloves, then I'd say go with the leather wheel.

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
Happy with my Corvette Grand Sport wheel, and you can't beat the price. I think it was around $200.

Though, despite what I said previously, I will change my position on the alcantara. It was great for a few years, but slowly moisture has really killed it. Unless your car is only ever parked in a climate controlled, humidity controlled garage, and you only ever use driving gloves, then I'd say go with the leather wheel.
Was that a D-shaped wheel? I know most D-shaped Corvette wheels are not cheap but the standard style ones are in about the price range you mention.

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
No, just the old fashioned round kind. ?

The flat bottomed wheels never did anything for me, personally.
It is a matter of what you like when talking custom items. But yea, that sounds about right for the alcantara round Corvette wheels. I'm surprised that didn't hold up though. I thought that was supposed to be very durable.

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
Is the Vette's steering wheel a direct swap? Same controls working, etc? Never considered swapping out the steering wheel… till now.

It is the C6 wheel that is identical...and we mean identical. You could swap it out but unless you get the Alcantara one, it's going to be the exact same thing. All your controls and air bag swap from one wheel to the other. The image of my custom wheel from So Cal Garage Works (also known as SCGW...see image attached) shows the part of the steering wheel you are swapping. All the other parts you switch over from your current wheel once you have it off the car.

Now if you get one of the factory Corvette D-shaped wheels for the C6, then it's going to look different but last I checked those sell for about the same as the ones like mine from SCGW.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I understand that the factory Corvette D-shaped wheels ARE a direct swap EXCEPT they do not have the cruise control ON/OFF button. So you have to swap your button circuit board and either hide the switch with it set ON all the time, or cut a hole in the Corvette left hand panel to expose the button.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Is the Vette's steering wheel a direct swap? Same controls working, etc? Never considered swapping out the steering wheel… till now.

As TomatoSoup said above, it's nearly direct. I don't have that wheel pictured, I have the one from the earlier Grand Sport. It's a nice wheel, and it has the attractive chrome trim. It definitely looks and feels better than the stock wheel, and the alcantara is great, when new. It's also available in leather, and if I were doing it again, I'd just get that.

You do need to cut a hole for the cruise control button (or just set it to "on" permanently and cover the button up.) I drilled out a hole and then used some small files to widen it up to size. Slow work, as if you go too far you can't fix it, but probably took an hour in total. You'll need to move over the switch electronics from the old wheel, and of course, the airbag. Overall job is a 1/10 difficulty without making that hole, that might move it up to a 2/10.

If you want to get one of these, then let me know and I can dig up the part numbers, they're saved somewhere. If you want one that has all kinds of crazy non-circular geometric shapes, then you're on your own. :grin:

:cheers:

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts