Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered this new Kenwood Navigation/DVD system for the SKY. Its a double DIN so it will fit super cleanly in the openeing created by the bulky stock stereo. It will look similiar to the new corvette system.

I also have on oreder the ipod interface which allows me to control my ipod through the head-unit, which means it an be in the glove compartment and I don't have to worry about that little dial anytime I want to change a song.

I do have a few questions though:
1. I know I will probably looses the steering wheel controls, is there any universal unit that would allow me to get these back, or just at least the track and volume buttons.
2. Will putting in an aftermarket stereo effect onstar, if so is there an adapter I can use to fix it?
3. Do you think I will looses the speed adjusted volume, if so is there an adpter i can use to fix it?

I'm pretty profecient with stereos and car electronics so you can be pretty tecnical if you know any of these answers.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
nice!!!
can I ask how much?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$1,200, but I hope that I can keep instalation and accessories down to under $100, I plan on insatlling it myself.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
did u just order a model for the sol to insure it will fit? or is that double din a gm standard?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Im planning on doing the same thing (rather than buying the premium monsoon system) and apparently the custom passenger-side subwoofer can be bought seperately for 130 (not confirmed) but yeah that DD size should fit according to Crutchfield support if it is the same depth as the Sol.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
As for your question about the speed adjusted volume -- im almost certain you would lose that and I cant seem to find an aftermarket devide that solely adds that functionality though I will say my JVC had the feature (called Autodrive or something) and it really wasn't very useful or impressive and I'd imagine in a convertible with the top down youll be changing the volume a lot with the wind anyway.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1994SC2 said:
apparently the custom passenger-side subwoofer can be bought seperately for 130 (not confirmed)
I was planning on buying the monsoon just for that box beacsue the spot is a very weird one to customise a box. Some guy tore apart the solstice and you can see where the box and amp are. http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11135

If that does get conformed before I order I will be sure to get it without the monsoon, if not I'll just upgrade it over time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1994SC2 said:
As for your question about the speed adjusted volume -- im almost certain you would lose that and I cant seem to find an aftermarket devide that solely adds that functionality though I will say my JVC had the feature (called Autodrive or something) and it really wasn't very useful or impressive and I'd imagine in a convertible with the top down youll be changing the volume a lot with the wind anyway.
I did find one thing for the steering wheel controls, its a controller that pretty much pregrams your controls and uses an infrared repeater (or remote port if your head unit has one) to send the signals to the aftermaket head unit. Kinda like turning your stock controls into remote controls. This praticular one can accomdate 16 different controls, mabey you can program it to take the signal for the speed volume sensor and rig it that way. I'll give it a try since I want to defintly use it for my steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Yeah, I really want to know for sure about the custom sub also before I pass on the premium system. I want to actually see the purchase order for it.

By the way, the Kenwood DDX7017 is only 1000 at crutchfield and is as cheap as 800 (non-referb) from other clicks-and-morter stores (though probably not as reliable).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also got the KNA-DV4100 along with that, which is the newest up to date navigation system they have. Its going to really set my little sky apart.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
I would get the AVIC-D2, which is a similar Double Din unit... but is only a CD player. I don't get why they didn't make the DVD reader for the mapping discs also work for DVD movies... oh well.

I will be getting the AVIC-N3... just won't be flush. :banghead:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hold on a second guys, I have "retired" from the days of tampering with the factory units for many reasons but I would like to share some info that yall may be aware of. I took my wifes 02 Trailblazer in for warranty work since the knobs were flaking off the paint. They had to send my head unit off to be repaired so I drove around without a radio, in this time I lost the door chimes (the sound when you have your lights on and key out). I had also looked at putting Sirius in this car but found out they would have to relocate the factory unit somewhere else in the car so I would not lose other functions. I talked to the service guys and they said in the monte carlos the locks are wired through the radios. Any way be careful and ask questions as I do not claim to know much maybe somebody else has better info and will add it.:confused:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wiring harness

wouldnt you need a wiring harness to hook up an after market head unit? do they have the harnesses our for the sol yet?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Astronomer said:
wouldnt you need a wiring harness to hook up an after market head unit? do they have the harnesses our for the sol yet?
Im fairly sure that it will be a generic GM harness, at least the same as the Sol's.

·
Registered
113 Posts
ruledawg said:
I just ordered this new Kenwood Navigation/DVD system for the SKY. Its a double DIN so it will fit super cleanly in the openeing created by the bulky stock stereo. It will look similiar to the new corvette system.

I also have on oreder the ipod interface which allows me to control my ipod through the head-unit, which means it an be in the glove compartment and I don't have to worry about that little dial anytime I want to change a song.

I do have a few questions though:
1. I know I will probably looses the steering wheel controls, is there any universal unit that would allow me to get these back, or just at least the track and volume buttons.
2. Will putting in an aftermarket stereo effect onstar, if so is there an adapter I can use to fix it?
3. Do you think I will looses the speed adjusted volume, if so is there an adpter i can use to fix it?

I'm pretty profecient with stereos and car electronics so you can be pretty tecnical if you know any of these answers.

I'd really love to know how these fit before i have to finalize my order. Has anyone from the Sol forums installed a aftermarket head unit yet? I know manufacturers can get pretty creative fitting in factory systems...i changed the head unit in a pontiac a few years back with one that was supposed to fit all gm double dins....i had it professionally installed and they never could get it "Flush"

·
Registered
76 Posts
Astronomer said:
The problem is the harness, if you have the monsoon of course you will have the harness. If you get a standard system nd then decide you want to install a monsoon or another system there is no harness. And likewise if you order XM you can not have sirus.

I would suggest that you get the monsoon, you will need it when your really going 80mph. I have to say the cd/mp3 unit is awesome with one of the best sound systems in a car. GM really did one of the best jobs on the sound system with the equilizer. Really good sound.

I thought I would never own an XM, but it came with the car and it is fantastic. Also with an xm you can remove the ugly mast and replace it with a stub:

·
Registered
119 Posts
SolSky_Designs said:
And likewise if you order XM you can not have sirus.
What about the SIR-GM1 unit? Have you heard anything about that and if it will be able to be swapped in place of the XM unit for the Sky?

·
Registered
76 Posts
USFJoseph said:
What about the SIR-GM1 unit? Have you heard anything about that and if it will be able to be swapped in place of the XM unit for the Sky?
No I have not heard of this. I will snoop around and let you know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The SIR-GM1 should be out on the market at the end of march. I heard that from someone at Circuit City and it looks like Crutchfield has 3/30 as the ready date as well. It's supposed to work for all 2003+ GM Vehicles so should be good to go for the Sky.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
What's all the fuss about these new fangled radios n such, if I want to hear fancy music, I just listen to the steereeo at the shack. And while we are at it, wut is the deal on this thing about music so loud in cars I can hear it in the next county. Has it ever dawned on these people that maybe not everyone likes or wants to heasr there brand of music? I know I have had more than my share of comfrontation at traffic lights, by cracky!! I had get the old shotgun offin my rifle rack and put one of them booming radios to repair shop, yup!! Do ya think there wil be a rifle rack option on the SKY?:lol: :lol: :cool: Yall come back now, ya hear!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts