Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have to release the latch on the attic before opening the trunk.

Otherwise the passenger flipper doesn't flip.

I cleaned up the rust on the rails and the flipper tip.

That hasn't helped.

Fortunately when the flipper gets stuck I'm able to pull it out if I click the fob at the same time.

Is this a fix that takes a lot of labor?

I already once had it where I had to take the car to a shop to pull out it out.

thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
Push the flap down and watch where the point enters the hole. If it is hitting the front or back or side take a deep well socket "13 MM works best" and place it over the locking pin on the bottom of the flap using the socket and an extension to get leverage push or pull the locking pin so that it goes into the hole with out touching the sides of the chrome ring.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Damn I'm glad you guys knew what he was talking about! I was really confused there.

Now I see the "flipper" = buttress, and "latch on the attic" means the convertible roof latch, and suddenly all becomes clear :)

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
We know it wasn't electronic stuff wizard of electronics. Emmett speaks Emmett. His posts are always interesting because he has such a great love for his car. I always look for his posts.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Push the flap down and watch where the point enters the hole. If it is hitting the front or back or side take a deep well socket "13 MM works best" and place it over the locking pin on the bottom of the flap using the socket and an extension to get leverage push or pull the locking pin so that it goes into the hole with out touching the sides of the chrome ring.
Hey Glenn,

I finally got some help placing the new convertible top in the trunk on Mother's Day. The next day yesterday, I mounted and adjusted it. That took some doing figuring the placement of spacer/washers for best alignment, followed by detail cleaning. It's a beautiful top. I had to adjust the passenger side flipper per your given instructions above. It may have gotten slightly bent from the impact to the donor car in that right rear corner.

Just FYI to the community....
When adjusting a flipper stem, the best fit is a 15mm deep socket, not a 13mm. Anything English fits worse.

Another Tip......
I found it best to adjust the stem with the trunk lid open and the flipper held down hard. I was most comfortable adjusting with it while in the position it would be in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I finally figured this post out. Partly...

Okay. I purchased a 13 MM deep well socket on ebay (Snap On 13mm metric Deep Well 6 Point 1/4” Drive Socket STMM13 USA )

And the locking pin is missing the center of the whole by about 1cm in the direction of the front. It's missing the hole completely.

The steel wires get out of the way completely when I tap the fob trunk button. That rules out a mechanical problem with the locking mechanism.

But I'm not getting how to use the extension (about how long) and what to leverage.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have 6 point deep sockets. A 15mm fits just right. Maybe using a 13mm, it has to be a 12 point.
The extension is just for extra leverage. Any length will work because it does not require a lot of force to adjust, but a typical 5 to 6 inch is ideal.

• check which way the pin has to go to align right
  • open the trunk
  • pull down the buttress
  • using the socket with extension, push or pull in the direction you need the pin to go
  • lift buttress
  • close trunk
  • check alignment
  • repeat as necessary

1 - 14 of 14 Posts