Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 redline and am looking to get it tuned. It is completely stock and will stay that way. I have the same issue allot of people have with the car hesitating if you just Stomp on it. If I hit the pedal slower it goes great. I just want it to be a little more responsive. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Throttle lag

if you are just having throttle lag, which is very noticeable on manual transmission, I recommend using the Sprint Booster product. I've installed it on my 07 2.4L stick shift and no more lag works great! Down shift throttle matching is right on and no more sloppy up shifts. It changes throttle response TIME it's not a performance enhancer. Some folks out there say they'll just push the pedal farther down,that might work on an automatic or turbocharged car but this is a matter of response. Of course run a diagnostic test for trouble codes, a sticky throttle body, bad sensors ,or a faulty catalytic converter can really gum up the works. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,902 Posts
I have a 2007 redline and am looking to get it tuned. It is completely stock and will stay that way. I have the same issue allot of people have with the car hesitating if you just Stomp on it. If I hit the pedal slower it goes great. I just want it to be a little more responsive. Any recommendations?
When you say "tuned" are you referring to the tune that will give you more power (making the car no-longer-stock) or just having it tuned-up to return to like-new performance?

To get back to "new" you are mainly looking at plug replacement, but it may also be necessary to have the intake valves and maybe the throttle body cleaned.

I would not waste money on a Sprint Booster.

·
Registered
438 Posts
if you are just having throttle lag, which is very noticeable on manual transmission, I recommend using the Sprint Booster product. I've installed it on my 07 2.4L stick shift and no more lag works great! Down shift throttle matching is right on and no more sloppy up shifts. It changes throttle response TIME it's not a performance enhancer. Some folks out there say they'll just push the pedal farther down,that might work on an automatic or turbocharged car but this is a matter of response. Of course run a diagnostic test for trouble codes, a sticky throttle body, bad sensors ,or a faulty catalytic converter can really gum up the works. Good luck.
Sorry....any type of "enhancers" don't really work on the 2.0L turbo cars.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t really care about gaining horse power or modifying anything. I just want a quicker response when I do hit the pedal instead of a cough and then go. It is an automatic 28k miles. I bought it with 17,800 on it and it has always been that way. Like the car is making sure that I meant to stomp on the pedal before it goes. If I ease into it it’s great and goes it is only a problem when I stomp on it quick.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Get the Trifecta canned tune. The throttle response will be sharper, but more than that, you don't think you want that extra power until you have it.

·
Super Moderator
5,902 Posts
I don’t really care about gaining horse power or modifying anything. I just want a quicker response when I do hit the pedal instead of a cough and then go. It is an automatic 28k miles. I bought it with 17,800 on it and it has always been that way. Like the car is making sure that I meant to stomp on the pedal before it goes. If I ease into it it’s great and goes it is only a problem when I stomp on it quick.
There should not be a cough before the go. Intake valves and/or throttle body cleaning, and new plugs would be the first steps. How old is the air filter?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There should not be a cough before the go. Intake valves and/or throttle body cleaning, and new plugs would be the first steps. How old is the air filter?
Air filter is only 3 months, the car sits all winter here in Michigan. Should I run some cleaner through it in the spring? Should I need plugs at 28k?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get the Trifecta canned tune. The throttle response will be sharper, but more than that, you don't think you want that extra power until you have it.
I don’t want to compromise my engine for more power. Sure the power would be nice but it seems like everyone here plays for more power and their engine blows. I’m not into that I just want it to run good.

·
Super Moderator
5,902 Posts
Realistically you shouldn't need anything at 28k, but it is also over 10 years old.

Running cleaner through it won't accomplish anything. The RL engine is direct injection and the fuel never touches the valves or throttle body.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I don’t want to compromise my engine for more power. Sure the power would be nice but it seems like everyone here plays for more power and their engine blows. I’m not into that I just want it to run good.
I'm not aware of anyone who has had an internal engine failure when running completely stock components when using the Trifecta canned tune. It's similar to the GMPP tune--the car was basically setup from the factory for that level of power. It's anecdotal, but I've had the Trifecta tune on my car for nearly 30K miles and I drive the car very aggressively, and am not at all shy to take it to the redline once the engine is warmed up. Knock on wood, it still runs perfectly. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I have seen zero reports of either the factory GMPP tune or the basic Trifecta canned tune causing any issues, much less blown engines. If you have any evidence behind your statement I'd be interested in hearing it.

Reactions: a280z

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wrong Plugs from factory

First thing would be to verify that you have the correct plugs in it. My 2007 GXP had the cold plugs in it from the factory and it stuttered. 41-108 plugs are the correct plugs... DO NOT TOUCH THE END OF THE PLUG! That will most likely solve the problem. But if you want to upgrade the tune... The engine can handle a lot. Bore the turbo $700, larger charge pipes and cold air $350. 600 hp cooler $500. It will be twice the car you have now.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have seen zero reports of either the factory GMPP tune or the basic Trifecta canned tune causing any issues, much less blown engines. If you have any evidence behind your statement I'd be interested in hearing it.
My statement was not against gmpp or trifecta. It is against all the guys that want more and more and don’t stop till it blows. I want to keep everything stock and have my car run good AND keep it at a safe amount of power for the engine. Not sure what you read but it’s ok I just made it more clear if you need that. I will check and replace plugs first. Open to any suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First thing would be to verify that you have the correct plugs in it. My 2007 GXP had the cold plugs in it from the factory and it stuttered. 41-108 plugs are the correct plugs... DO NOT TOUCH THE END OF THE PLUG! That will most likely solve the problem. But if you want to upgrade the tune... The engine can handle a lot. Bore the turbo $700, larger charge pipes and cold air $350. 600 hp cooler $500. It will be twice the car you have now.
How difficult is it to change the plugs I don’t mind just replacing them. I have not even looked at this engine and won’t till spring. What do I need to know to change plugs on these cars? I have the 2.0 and have not found any videos for it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How difficult is it to change the plugs I don’t mind just replacing them. I have not even looked at this engine and won’t till spring. What do I need to know to change plugs on these cars? I have the 2.0 and have not found any videos for it.
30 min job max. Take the plastic cover off (it pulls off, no bolts) undo the coils (a harness plug and 10mm bolt for each) and pop them off, then your plugs are exposed and ready to come out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
30 min job max. Take the plastic cover off (it pulls off, no bolts) undo the coils (a harness plug and 10mm bolt for each) and pop them off, then your plugs are exposed and ready to come out.
Thanks can’t wait till spring. 41-108 delco plugs good?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I want to keep everything stock and have my car run good AND keep it at a safe amount of power for the engine. Not sure what you read but it’s ok I just made it more clear if you need that. I will check and replace plugs first. Open to any suggestions. Thanks
What I read is what you wrote in your first post--that you want the canned tune for your car. The canned tune is completely safe, and dramatically improves the throttle response. The power level is well within the acceptable threshold for this engine, GM specifically designed the entire drive train for that level of power, and then offered a version of it themselves through their retail channel.

The factory tune is setup to maintain safe traction for most drivers. If I mash the gas down in my car with the tune active in first or second and it's anything but a warm day with sticky pavement, the back end will step out. Not ideal for many drivers, hence, the eased throttle response in the stock software.

The plugs are not the problem--the factory plugs have never been out of my car and it runs fine. But, on my car, and any of these cars, if you switch the tune off, the throttle response is clearly slower.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
5,902 Posts
What I read is what you wrote in your first post--......
Read what he wrote in post #6 : "Cough and go" is not normal behavior. I have a stock RL and it does not cough, it just goes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts