Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Read what he wrote in post #6 : "Cough and go" is not normal behavior. I have a stock RL and it does not cough, it just goes.
Agree - I've never experienced that. It does happen on my wife's Mazda 3, and usually when turning a corner. so very inconvenient when making a left turn with oncoming traffic....(the factory mechanics are clueless, sadly).

Buddy, there is something amiss with you car (nothing to do with the tune/program, I would think) and you need to get to the bottom of it. Sorry I don't have any specific suggestions for you, but there are number of people on here that may have dealt with this before and will hopefully pipe up.

Might want to review this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMmcARsAsbA

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Read what he wrote in post #6 : "Cough and go" is not normal behavior. I have a stock RL and it does not cough, it just goes.
Still not convinced it's a real hesitation--his first post didn't mention anything about that. We'll have to see what he says when he chimes back in...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It is a real hesitation. From a 20mph roll you stomp it to the floor it goes. From a dead stop or 5mph it hesitates or coughs if I smash it to the floor. It picks it self up and goes but hesitation doesn’t seem necessary.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is a real hesitation. From a 20mph roll you stomp it to the floor it goes. From a dead stop or 5mph it hesitates or coughs if I smash it to the floor. It picks it self up and goes but hesitation doesn’t seem necessary.
Are you sure it's not a traction control thing? Press the traction control button twice, and see if it still happens. If that clears the issue, you are just starting to spin the tires and traction control takes over.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Are you sure it's not a traction control thing? Press the traction control button twice, and see if it still happens. If that clears the issue, you are just starting to spin the tires and traction control takes over.
No it’s not traction. You actually lean forward when it does it. In order to take off quick I need to ease into it

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I'm wondering if you just have a gummed-up throttle butterfly? It's sticking at the point when it is fully closed.

You could try taking the the rubber intake hose off and squirting into the throttle body with TB cleaner. Un-gunk it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
No it’s not traction. You actually lean forward when it does it. In order to take off quick I need to ease into it
I'm wondering if you just have a gummed-up throttle butterfly? It's sticking at the point when it is fully closed.

You could try taking the the rubber intake hose off and squirting into the throttle body with TB cleaner. Un-gunk it.
OK--I'm convinced now that it's not normal behavior. (Though, once you get it sorted out you still should get the tune.) I would do what TomatoSoup said and start by cleaning the throttle body. But, this is an automatic, right? Are you also getting a downshift with the "choking?" What if you shift it down into what would be the target gear before you mash the throttle? Is it still doing it?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I will try cleaning it first thing in the spring then I will report here and continue this saga. Thanks everyone and have a great thanksgiving.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I sometimes turn the Trifecta tune off just to get used to how slow it was before. Then I turn it back on and smile.

The initial throttle hesitation was slightly present on my car but half a can of seafoam through the intake (and a plug change) fixed that mostly - could have been the butterfly valve or could have been a combination of carbon build up due to GDI. The throttle response now while in Trifecta tune mode is as good as I can expect, it's still not that great with the tune turned off. No issues with engine after 20k miles. Still considering water injection for the hot Florida summers and continuous cleaning of carbon from intake valves.

I hear you on indiscriminately wanting more and more, and how that is a bad philosophy with no set goal of "I'll be happy with this". Trifecta got me to that happy point, any more power for my goals would be pointless for this car. I don't see it as a problem for reliability, nor have I experienced any issues from it other than requiring better band clamps for the increased boost. The GMPP official tune was covered by the factory the warranty so the platform is definitely designed with that power level in mind. The only additional thing I may consider is gutting the cat right after the turbo. Too much heat is retained, and probably some flow issues. The heat appears to be one of the main factors for waterpump issues (probably bakes the seals).

One thing that could be happening is, you have a small boost leak, either from previously mentioned band clamps for the charge pipes/intercooler, or the factory intercooler end tank having a corrosion or ballooning crack. Get an OBD2 reader, and pair it to the Torque app (Android, not sure about iOS) and post your Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT). Might see an issue if they are far from expected.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Post #10 is where he read it. And I read it the same way.

Trifecta has been on mine for two years and I love it. It does not "Compromise" the engine and really improves acceleration. Mine is activated from the "Traction" button. Most are activated from the CC. I felt the CC was too confusing.

If there were a rear seat, it would "throw you in the rear seat".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Buddy, Please don't take any offence BUT If you don't know how to change a spark plug you may be better off taking it to a mechanic. Just saying.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've had a dyno tune, pushed to the ragged edge, and I havent had any internal failures. I'm at about 340hp at the crank (283hp at wheels). The only possible failure I have currently is my balancer chain may have skipped a link, but that was due to someone else driving my car without my permission and I'm sure it was redlined....(my rev limiter is set at 7k instead of factory 6300rpm.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Post #10 is where he read it. And I read it the same way.

Trifecta has been on mine for two years and I love it. It does not "Compromise" the engine and really improves acceleration. Mine is activated from the "Traction" button. Most are activated from the CC. I felt the CC was too confusing.

If there were a rear seat, it would "throw you in the rear seat".
Which did you get and how much was the cost? Is everything stock also?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Buddy, Please don't take any offence BUT If you don't know how to change a spark plug you may be better off taking it to a mechanic. Just saying.
I’m 64 years old and tuned many cars even with plugs and points. Because I never looked at my car very close I asked a question, so dont get your panties in a bunch. I’ll be fine. BTW no offense taken.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Which did you get and how much was the cost? Is everything stock also?
Everything is stock as far as I know, but I dont consider that something to worry about. Not sure what you mean by "Which one did you get" unless you mean how is it triggered? I selected the "Traction button" version because I didnt want the confusion of using the Cruise Control and the cost was whatever Trifecta charged me. If you are talking about which version as to engine you have to order the version for YOUR engine and exhaust system or it wont work. Mine was the 2.0L Turbo. There are no discounts, no one else sells them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m 64 years old and tuned many cars even with plugs and points. Because I never looked at my car very close I asked a question, so dont get your panties in a bunch. I’ll be fine. BTW no offense taken.
You are 1 year my senior so I do apologize. BTW my undies are fine! Have a Happy

·
Registered
7 Posts
You are 1 year my senior so I apologize. BTW my undies are fine! Have a Happy.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
21 - 39 of 39 Posts