Saturn Sky Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Whats the mix ratio of oil to alcohol, and what proof do you use?
The rubber parts to be softened have to be removed from the vehicle so that they can be soaked in the solution for up to 24 hours. I've used this method on carb boots, intake hoses, etc. on the different motorcycles I've had over the years. A lot of them were 20 plus years old so finding parts is difficult and this was the best method of restoring those rubber pieces as you can't fine NOS often times.

Materials
Oil of Wintergreen (methyl salicylate) (I bought it on Amazon, you can't usually find it in stores)
Rubbing Alcohol (90%)- 3 times as much as the oil
Plastic or glass container to hold the parts (I've used ziploc bags before in another container as well, because everything it touches will smell like mint, so glass containers are good)
Cover for container (Wintergreen Oil is like very minty smelling and the alcohol will evaporate otherwise)

Method
Pour enough oil and alcohol into the container as needed to cover the parts - one part oil to 3 parts alcohol.
Place clean parts in. Make sure that they are covered so all parts of the rubber gets treated.
Cover with the lid to contain the peppermint smell and prevent the alcohol from evaporating.
Check periodically to see how soft the parts have become - remove them once they are soft enough. Leaving them longer will not make them softer, but I've seen people do several days anyway.
Wipe dry with paper towel or rag.

The alcohol is used to carry the oil into the rubber and is then evaporated away once the parts are out of the solution.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
My weatherstrip at the top if my windshield where it meets the top is dry rotting and shows cracks - it s that the one that’s avail for $600 ?
There are two different designs of that windshield gasket. The early 2007s have what is called a plan-A, later 2007s on up use a plan-B gasket. So make sure you get the right one.

My early 2007 originally had a plan-A windshield gasket and convertible top, both in poor condition. I replaced both with a second-hand plan-B version. I like the plan-B "SO MUCH" better, very happy with the improvements, especially how the door glass seals against the windshield gasket.

These pictures were taken before I removed the plan-A gasket. I am holding the plan-B for comparison. Unfortunately I did not take pictures of the differences of the mate on the convertible top. I feel the best change is right by my thumb, the area that the side windows seal against. The plan-A has a flap that can get messed up by the glass. Sometimes the glass rests behind the flap, sometimes over the flap. It's bad when it's half & half with a crease. The plan-B is a smooth rubber bump & valley design that consistently seals properly.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Oh there perfectly adjusted. They were doublechecked when I had the regulator/motors replaced. There are two seals that meet right in the middle of the window. That area is completely flat, and there is a minor leak whenever the top gets wet. The top is not leaking (thankfully), but drops in between the seams of the seals go inside the glass.
LOL

If the window was "perfectly adjusted" it would not leak. The fact that it is leaking is generally an indicator that its not sealing correctly or fully which means - rule of thumb - it is NOT adjusted perfectly. And since you obviously know better than someone who has adjusted lots of windows under similar conditions, I will no longer bother you with any actual advice based on knowledge and experience.

Move along

This is not the droid you are looking for. . .

·
Registered
380 Posts
Rob,

had a nasty thunderstorm and only had a couple of drops go in. I cant capture on camera the seam between the weatherstripping, but you can see there is a very, very small gap between them and they're "squished" right where they meet. I took it back to the dealer to readjust the windows, so we'll see later today if that fixed it.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Personally I have been collecting parts for about a decade.

I started with Kappa unique parts. Many of the parts come from the GM catalog and will be available from GM once you figure out what the new or different part number is. For example, for several months you could not get a charcoal canister but it turns out that the canister from the HHR is a direct replacement for the Sol/Sky part with minor mods. Saturn part numbers started drying up early and we went to Pontiac numbers. Then we went to on-line resellers, ebay and places like Redline Auto parts to locate spares.

The unique parts include things like the rubber bumpers that mount to the top of the fenders and cushion the hood. The Sol and Sky use different fenders and hoods, so of course these rubber parts are different. Ths Sol parts are still avalable, the Sky ones are getting hard to find. We have the 3d model for the Sol parts (two different designs) and print them as needed. Dont have the Sky part yet.

Other unique parts are things like:
The cable assembly in the trunk releases the buttresses and opens the trunk latch. Plus the cables that run from the assembly to the latches.

The buttress latches, left and right are a wear item as well

Flap cables, flaps, flap hinge parets, cable clips are all wear items that need sparing

High wear items on the top include the side sliding cables, the front latch, wear tabs over the windows, rubber feet in the trunk,
The buttress trim bezels
The trunk latch - built in relay
The trunk tortion bars, left and right. They do break occasionally or if you leave the trunk open . . . they go.
Headlights and Tail lights Unique to the car. The back up lights on Sol and Sky are parts bin items.

The hood release cable

Having a spare top is a good idea if you can find one in good condition that is not too expensive.

Inner fenders are unique and tend to break

and everything that is made of rubber or similar material that keeps water out. Door perimiter seal, door inner and outer window seal, trunk seals, rubber feet that the top mates with when in the up position, rubber seals on the top of the fenders, etc.

Some of the coolent / heater hoses are getting scarce. Take a look at those for sure.

radiator fan and controller

a place to start.

·
Registered
380 Posts

I started with Kappa unique parts. Many of the parts come from the GM catalog and will be available from GM once you figure out what the new or different part number is. For example, for several months you could not get a charcoal canister but it turns out that the canister from the HHR is a direct replacement for the Sol/Sky part with minor mods. Saturn part numbers started drying up early and we went to Pontiac numbers. Then we went to on-line resellers, ebay and places like Redline Auto parts to locate spares.

The unique parts include things like the rubber bumpers that mount to the top of the fenders and cushion the hood. The Sol and Sky use different fenders and hoods, so of course these rubber parts are different. Ths Sol parts are still avalable, the Sky ones are getting hard to find. We have the 3d model for the Sol parts (two different designs) and print them as needed. Dont have the Sky part yet.

The cable assembly in the trunk releases the buttresses and opens the trunk latch. Plus the cables that run from the assembly to the latches.

Flap cables, flaps, flap hinge parets, cable clips are all wear items that need sparing

High wear items on the top include the side sliding cables, the front latch, wear tabs over the windows, rubber feet in the trunk,
The buttress trim bezels
The trunk tortion bars, left and right. They do break occasionally or if you leave the trunk open . . . they go.
Headlights and Tail lights Unique to the car. The back up lights on Sol and Sky are parts bin items.

The hood release cable

Having a spare top is a good idea if you can find one in good condition that is not too expensive.

and everything that is made of rubber or similar material that keeps water out. Door perimiter seal, door inner and outer window seal, trunk seals, rubber feet that the top mates with when in the up position, rubber seals on the top of the fenders, etc.

Some of the coolent / heater hoses are getting scarce. Take a look at those for sure.

a place to start.
Dear gawd, thats a lot of parts to stockpile. If I were to ask (courteously and nicely and with a cherry on top) for your absolute top items to buy, what would they be?

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

The buttress trim bezels

The hood release cable

a place to start.
Thank you. A great place to start.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are parts hard to come by for the sky? For someone like myself that doesnt know much about cars/mechanic, is there a potential that I would take it to a mechanic shop and they cant find the part??

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Are parts hard to come by for the sky? For someone like myself that doesnt know much about cars/mechanic, is there a potential that I would take it to a mechanic shop and they cant find the part??
A lot of shared platform parts are easy to find (waterpump, power steering pump, brakes, etc). The things specific to our platform are impossible to find (rubber molding, cloth top, bumpers, headlights/taillights, control arm bushings, etc).

·
Registered
22 Posts
A lot of shared platform parts are easy to find (waterpump, power steering pump, brakes, etc). The things specific to our platform are impossible to find (rubber molding, cloth top, bumpers, headlights/taillights, control arm bushings, etc).
Thanks for the info...well yikes...What do sky owners do when we need a part such as a control arm bushing or bumper then?

41 - 60 of 86 Posts