Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad plans to store his Sky (automatic) throught the winter in Northeast Ohio - and he is wondering what if any recommendations there are for how often it should be at least started up if not driven a couples miles during storage.

I heard a number of years ago that it is not good for the seals to store an automatic for more than about 6 months without operating it.

Of course - he is probably only talking about a max of 3 to 4 months at a time, depending on how bad the winter is - and might get it out and drive around in the middle of winter if there is a period of nice weather.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My dad plans to store his Sky (automatic) throught the winter in Northeast Ohio - and he is wondering what if any recommendations there are for how often it should be at least started up if not driven a couples miles during storage.

I heard a number of years ago that it is not good for the seals to store an automatic for more than about 6 months without operating it.

Of course - he is probably only talking about a max of 3 to 4 months at a time, depending on how bad the winter is - and might get it out and drive around in the middle of winter if there is a period of nice weather.
We will do the same here in Oakville.
Do an oil change before putting the car away. Over inflate the tires.
That sall. When you come to drive the car i nthe summer, do an oil change and set the tire pressure to the correct level. One thing I do is to run the car in the garage with the door opent o let the battery charge up.
Cheers
OAKVILELSKY

·
Registered
364 Posts
One thing I do is to run the car in the garage with the door open to let the battery charge up.
Cheers
OAKVILELSKY
The other alternative is to use a battery tender. It only charges when the battery needs it. I have had one on my bike for the last two winters and it works great.

HoldHard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts