Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just placed my Sky in winter storage. I've always jacked my cars up for the winter and this one is no exception. I realize some people think this is a waste of time, but I personally think it saves flat spotting the tires and have seen a number of tire web sites that seem to agree with this theory. Anyway, while looking for the best place to put the jack stands, I decided on the little triangle shaped hollows in the lower control arms for the front and the mounting brackets for the rear suspension in the back. When I let the car down off the jack, I see that the suspension hangs down a certain amount. It does appear to be somewhat supported however. I didn't find any other points that I felt comfortable putting jack stands under. Will seven months of storage do any suspension damage?

·
Registered
136 Posts
i stored my RL last winter for 4 months, from december to march. i followed saturn's guidelines and inflated the tires to 39psi, changed the oil, put stabilizer in the tank with the gas, put the battery on a "battery tender junior", and put a car cover on her.

Every week i alternately pushed her forward or backward a foot to prevent flat spots. 4 months after storage i let the extra air out and started her right up with no problems at all.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
I always jacked up my classic car back home for the winter months. ALSO it is a good idea to add charcoal briquettes. One in a pot in the trunk, one pot in the interior and a couple underneath. And if you are not sure about mice moth balls around on the ground (NEVER IN THE CAR).
The reason for the charcoal is that it absorbs moisture and odors. Just make sure you have it in a container like ceramic or pottery/

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
How low do you run them? Even the stock Goodyears suggest 44 p.s.i.
Last time I looked the sticker on the door post said 29 Psi. 44 would make the sky feel like a cement mixer.

I don't jack mine up because there's not enough room in the garage for an immobile vehicle. I just move it every once in a while.

Jacking it up would keep the springs from saging if it were going to be stored long term.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Add additional PSI to the tires and DON"T put on jack stands. Old time tires would/could cause flat spots but you don't have to be concerned with this. If anything, jacking the car could be worse. Exposing the suspension and such. I stored my car for 6 months and they are fine. Just put the added pressure in the tires, put a tarp of some sort on the floor first to keep moisture from rising up, and even got some nice mats to park each foot on. :thumbs:

New cars sit on dealer lots for extended periods of time and they don't acquire flat spots.

No worry's here.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Add additional PSI to the tires and DON"T put on jack stands. Old time tires would/could cause flat spots but you don't have to be concerned with this. If anything, jacking the car could be worse. Exposing the suspension and such. I stored my car for 6 months and they are fine. Just put the added pressure in the tires, put a tarp of some sort on the floor first to keep moisture from rising up, and even got some nice mats to park each foot on. :thumbs:

New cars sit on dealer lots for extended periods of time and they don't acquire flat spots.

No worry's here.
New cars on the lots are frequently moved. and generally get washed about once a week.
Radials will get flat spots.If it is to be stored for years its better to have it off the ground.
Cars that are unfrequently driven also can suffer from whats known as "Lot Rot". Where the transmission,airconditioning and engine seals dry out causing leaks. When possible it's best to start the car once in a while and let it come up to operating temperature and rotate the drive shafts to make sure the seals have fresh oil where they come in contact with the shafts.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Not trying to troll, but I really feel for you guys who have to store your cars for the winter. I could never imagine having to do put my baby away for months and just let it sit there. Hooray for Arizona!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I can't understand storing a Sky in less than daily drive condition unless you'll be gone for years.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I can't understand storing a Sky in less than daily drive condition unless you'll be gone for years.
Really I agree with you. Your storing it for what four months. So once a month start it let it warm up and move it so the tires don't have flat spots.

Most of the time here in Colorado you have a few warm days where you can at least take a little spin around the block.We may not even get substantial snow untill after November.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is a great Post guys. I unfortunaley live in the tundra up north and need to store my car for about 6 months. Each year I go over what I need to do and each year I do the same thing. Increase the PSI change the oil and cover her up, (give her a big kiss on the grill) and tell her I will see her in the summer. I wish I lived somewhere where this was not necessary but such is life.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not trying to troll, but I really feel for you guys who have to store your cars for the winter. I could never imagine having to do put my baby away for months and just let it sit there. Hooray for Arizona!
Arizona is where I spend my winters, so that's why the Sky goes up on blocks. It's not practical to take it down south as it has no room for all the stuff that we take down and bring back. That is also why I'm not able to start the car up or move it every few weeks. There's nobody there!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most of the time here in Colorado you have a few warm days where you can at least take a little spin around the block.We may not even get substantial snow untill after November.
Same here in the northeast. My 4wd truck will be king most of the winter here as there is no plow/salting service where I live except for the worst storms or when they feel like it.

But every once in a while we get those sunny stretches that make all the roads dry & snow-free, so will definitely take the RL out during those times, so it wont be strictly hibernating the whole winter, hopefully no longer than 30 days at a time. The pain will be washing all the salt off the undercarriage easily. I can wash my car in the garage (there is a drain underneath the car), but still cumbersome.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Arizona is where I spend my winters, so that's why the Sky goes up on blocks. It's not practical to take it down south as it has no room for all the stuff that we take down and bring back. That is also why I'm not able to start the car up or move it every few weeks. There's nobody there!!
If I needed to leave it set for six months unatended I would put it up on blocks. Not only because of flat spots.It's pretty likely a tire might go down in that amount of time.

Same here in the northeast. My 4wd truck will be king most of the winter here as there is no plow/salting service where I live except for the worst storms or when they feel like it.

But every once in a while we get those sunny stretches that make all the roads dry & snow-free, so will definitely take the RL out during those times, so it wont be strictly hibernating the whole winter, hopefully no longer than 30 days at a time. The pain will be washing all the salt off the undercarriage easily. I can wash my car in the garage (there is a drain underneath the car), but still cumbersome.
I try to stay clear of the salt. Once that hit's the road I'll pretty much drive the truck for the rest of the winter.That Magnesium Chloride is a pain in the %$# to get completely off of a car. It ends up inside everything. besides the truck sits two feet off the ground it doesn't take rock dammage as bad.

·
Registered
07 Saturn Sky Red Line Bluestone
7 Posts
Hooray for putting on more Km. Arizona ...My 07 RL has very low KM t 15 yrs. old just getting broke in 28,649 Hooray cold climate,,, :LOL:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts