Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original 2007 radio had this issue from day-one. I completely forgot about it until I had the radio on yesterday for an extended period. This happens when listening to a radio station or listening to a CD, either way, so the antenna is NOT the cause.

After some time with the radio or CD playing, I start hearing a momentary "ear irritating" high pitch hiss. As more time passes, the intervals become more frequent until the high pitch hiss is 100% of the time. From the time the hiss starts until "constant" is roughly 10 minutes. I believe the hiss replaces the radio/CD sound, not played over the top of it. Also, I think the hiss is the same volume regardless of the volume setting. I will have to recreate the condition and pay closer attention to this.

I wonder if something in the radio or monsoon amplifier is over-heating, then creating this really irritating hissing sound.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what did you find to be the problem? Radio or amp or something else?

·
Administrator
8,068 Posts
I have not experienced that exact scenario in anything, but it sounds like a failing capacitor.

·
Registered
881 Posts
My original 2007 radio had this issue from day-one. I completely forgot about it until I had the radio on yesterday for an extended period. This happens when listening to a radio station or listening to a CD, either way, so the antenna is NOT the cause.

After some time with the radio or CD playing, I start hearing a momentary "ear irritating" high pitch hiss. As more time passes, the intervals become more frequent until the high pitch hiss is 100% of the time. From the time the hiss starts until "constant" is roughly 10 minutes. I believe the hiss replaces the radio/CD sound, not played over the top of it. Also, I think the hiss is the same volume regardless of the volume setting. I will have to recreate the condition and pay closer attention to this.

I wonder if something in the radio or monsoon amplifier is over-heating, then creating this really irritating hissing sound.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what did you find to be the problem? Radio or amp or something else?
Had a similar issue with our boat a few years back. Only happened when the boat was in water. It wouldn't happen sitting on the trailer. I talked with a audio shop and they said it was most likely a bad ground, but we never were able to locate the bad ground before we sold it.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I have not experienced that exact scenario in anything, but it sounds like a failing capacitor.
This^ or a bad (dry) solder joint. In either case, unless you want to go through the trouble of trying to debug/fix it, a new radio may be in your future.

That is, unless you have Monsoon, in which case it could be the amp (though I think that less likely).

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to inspect solder joints, I am comfortable doing that. If it is a failing capacitor or other component, unless it is discolored, I would be clueless identifying a problem component. Sometimes a bad capacitor will develop a swollen top. I can surely check for that too. Thanks for the ideas.

I wonder if there are any brand new OEM Sky, Solstice or Cobalt radios for sale anymore, specifically one that works with the Sky Monsoon amplifier. Having a new one with that USB port for a memory stick would be exceptional.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to inspect solder joints, I am comfortable doing that. If it is a failing capacitor or other component, unless it is discolored, I would be clueless identifying a problem component. Sometimes a bad capacitor will develop a swollen top. I can surely check for that too. Thanks for the ideas.

I wonder if there are any brand new OEM Sky, Solstice or Cobalt radios for sale anymore, specifically one that works with the Sky Monsoon amplifier. Having a new one with that USB port for a memory stick would be exceptional.
I didn't think there is a difference on the radios themselves that work with the Monsoon system. Just the 6 disc changer one (US9) or the single disc (US8) stereo to my knowledge. Here is a NIB radio for a little over $100 if you want to stay stock. It's not a USB radio though.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
The beauty of that one that Steve posted is it is new and therefore will work with your car without needing to be anti-theft re-programmed. That same vendor seems to have other compatible radios at half that price too - you'd just need to swap your Sky faceplate over, which is easy.

NOTE HOWEVER, they don't say if they are for Monsoon or not! You'd need to contact them I guess.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good Point Tomato Soup! Thanks for your insight on the unlock.

I think by default, the US8-1CD and the US9-6CD head units are installed with the Monsoon. Can anyone verify this?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Good Point Tomato Soup! Thanks for your insight on the unlock.

I think by default, the US8-1CD and the US9-6CD head units are installed with the Monsoon. Can anyone verify this?
From what I've seen, speaking directly towards the RPO options, the Monsoon (UQ3) RPO was paired with either the US8 or US9 radio. I believe only U1C radios were the only radios not compatible with Monsoon setups. I'm not an expert on this though and TS is the go to electronics guru on the forums so he may be able to answer that better. I believe you would be good to go with the one I shared unless TS or someone with intimate knowledge of what makes these radios not compatible with Monsoon says otherwise.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
The US8 (single CD) radio could be paired with or without the Monsoon system (I assume that the wiring is changed in some way).

My first Sky had the US8 with Monsoon, my current one has the US8 without Monsoon.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The US8 (single CD) radio could be paired with or without the Monsoon system (I assume that the wiring is changed in some way).

My first Sky had the US8 with Monsoon, my current one has the US8 without Monsoon.
Oh boy. That is concerning. I thought US8 & US9 guaranteed compatibility with the Monsoon Amp option.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I suspect that it is just some sort of external wiring change as to using Monsoon or not.
But I am NOT any sort of expert as to installing stereo systems...

·
Administrator
8,068 Posts
The non-Monsoon head units have a built-in amplifier, and output at a higher level than the Monsoon units. That is why they over-drive the amplifier if used with a Monsoon system.

Reactions: TomatoSoup

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The non-Monsoon head units have a built-in amplifier, and output at a higher level than the Monsoon units. That is why they over-drive the amplifier if used with a Monsoon system.
Are they actually different in implementation, or is it something that can be programmed with Tech2? I guess if they are actually different, you could use a line-level adapter to use a non-Monsoon radio in a car with the amplifier...

But, you maybe know what I think, the stock unit is absolute ****, buy an aftermarket one and you will get substantially better sound. I mean, the difference is dramatic.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Are they actually different in implementation, or is it something that can be programmed with Tech2? I guess if they are actually different, you could use a line-level adapter to use a non-Monsoon radio in a car with the amplifier...
They have physically different internals. You could wire in a level adapter, but the output signal is balanced, so you'd need a transformer type level adapter.

But, you maybe know what I think, the stock unit is absolute ****, buy an aftermarket one and you will get substantially better sound. I mean, the difference is dramatic.
Well, I replaced my (non-Monsoon) radio with a Sky USB radio (swapped the faceplates) and then replaced all the speakers and added an amp. Sounds great now, yet still with a factory radio (albeit the later USB variant) :)

Reactions: mstrjon32

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Does anyone here have the knowledge in knowing if the new 2009/2010 OEM Sky radio on eBay HERE will work properly in my 2007 Sky with Monsoon amp? The part number on the eBay radio is different than mine shown here.

I paid for the radio on eBay but the seller is concerned about compatibility, hence is waiting for a waiver from me to accept potential consequences. I would NOT be able to return the radio if it does NOT work.

Again, here is my 2007 radio with Monsoon amp.
Font Gas Data storage device Hard disk drive Computer hardware

Font Gas Electronic device Technology Machine

·
Registered
881 Posts
Does anyone here have the knowledge in knowing if the new 2009/2010 OEM Sky radio on eBay HERE will work properly in my 2007 Sky with Monsoon amp? The part number on the eBay radio is different than mine shown here.

I paid for the radio on eBay but the seller is concerned about compatibility, hence is waiting for a waiver from me to accept potential consequences. I would NOT be able to return the radio if it does NOT work.

View attachment 119875
View attachment 119876
You do have a US8 now that also happens to have the fan on top which I recall TS saying on a previous thread that indicates the presence of an internal amp. I do not have a definitive answer for you, but I can provide a circumstantial observation if that works. I'm not sure of your financial situation, but IMO $100 these days seems to be a minor gamble if it doesn't work or not. I paid more than that for my last off brand radio that I just pulled because I wasn't a fan after a year with the sound quality.

·
Registered
75 Posts

View attachment 119875
View attachment 119876
My advice... Don't get this radio. Get yourself a USB one like @TomatoSoup (and many years later, inspired on his suceess, I also) did. The sound quality is much, much better, and the possibility of using your flash drive is a plus. You'll need to tweak it a little but there are excellent instructions by TS --> Migrated my (old) Solstice Radio faceplate to my (new)...

·
Registered
881 Posts
My advice... Don't get this radio. Get yourself a USB one like @TomatoSoup (and many years later, inspired on his suceess, I also) did. The sound quality is much, much better, and the possibility of using your flash drive is a plus. You'll need to tweak it a little but there are excellent instructions by TS --> Migrated my (old) Solstice Radio faceplate to my (new)...
The problem is finding one with the gloss piano black faceplate the Skys have. I imagine that's a big factor in @rjgramps decision. Doing the mod TS did would work, but it's fairly involved and not for everyone. Although RJ did go through and update all of his LEDs so it may be a project he would want to tackle.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have my reasons for sticking with a non-USB version. It has to do with the lighting of the radio
The problem is finding one with the gloss piano black faceplate the Skys have. I imagine that's a big factor in @rjgramps decision. Doing the mod TS did would work, but it's fairly involved and not for everyone. Although RJ did go through and update all of his LEDs so it may be a project he would want to tackle.
Actually, I plan to swap radio faces to retain my custom interior illumination changes.
Musical instrument Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Automotive lighting Font

Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle White

1 - 20 of 21 Posts