Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People,

I have been working for Saturn Retailers for 13 years. Like you I am excited to see the SKY. I have read most of the posts and while most are fun and interesting, some are downright odd. Especially when something that was a question or comment in one section, becomes FACT in another. Here is some Stuff You Need To Know

1) No Haggle No Hassle is just that. Each retailer is responsible for setting his own price on the vehicle he sells. He then must be up front about all elements of the price, including an additional mark up, if any. Saturn is barred by law from telling a retailer what to sell the car at. That said, Saturnfans.com has a list of over 270 stores that are selling the SKY at MSRP. That is well over half of all stores. If you don't want to pay over sticker, shop around.

2) All new car launches for all automakers start off slower that full production speed. This is to insure that any initial problems are caught and solved long before any large number of vehices are produced. It is also to gauge customer demand for various options. Onthe SKY, the 18" Chrome Alloy Wheels were requested at a far higher rate than initially anticipated. Once demand levels have been established, full production proceeds.

3) You local Sales Consultant DOES NOT KNOW where your car is between its production and its arrival at the store. Saturn only plans to build about 10,000 of these a year. If they waited to fill a train before sending them out, shipment wold occur only every 2 months. The Sky and Solstice are low volume vehicles, that once produced, enter a very high volume distribution network. It your SKY is going West from Delaware (and most are) it first goes to the massive GM assembly plant at Lordstown, Ohio, where they join the large volume of Cobalts. They go on from there. So if your car just passed through Gallup, New Mexico, Your Sales Consultant isn't witholding info, They just don't know.

4) All cars can break. The minor issues with the wheel well and so on are minute compared to launches ten years ago. Your car will not likely be perfect for the next 100,000 miles. As an example, a Lexus Dealership just opened not from here, they have 25 Servie bays. Not just for oil changes people. That store makes money when they fix BROKEN cars. Lexus does not make bad cars, great cars can break. We fix 'em. It is not the end of he world

6) Saturn, and all automakers for that matter, reserve the right to change equipment, color price an availability soley at their discretion. And sometimes THEY DO. Your retaielr cannot chage that.

7) Your Sales Consultant wants to deliver the car as soon as it arrives, and will likely call you as soon as it arrives. Retaielrs earn cars based on how fast they turn them. Enen a day on theground can make a difference in how many future SKYs they will get. Since absolutley every SKY will be sold, this is no small matter. Please do not drive your Sales Consultant to distraction calling several times a day. They cannot make it arrive any faster.

8) The redline will not show up till fall, which probabply means December, and they Saturn will build a really TINY number of them.

I'll Post more STUFF later

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Thanks for a look inside

Being in Mgf... I realize some of this stuff -- Much of what I have thought and said is echoed in your words..

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks for a bit of rationalization. Some have gotten carried away, but for many it is simply the frustration of having to wait, wait, wait, and then to get their car and have to wait some more for a part. Or their frustration about dealer markups they were not expecting. They get upset because they are passionate and excited. It's always good to have some cooler heads around to keep the balance. :cheers:

To all who are waiting... just remember to stay patient! :thumbs:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Good post overall!

I think that most peoples problem seems to arise from the lack communication from Saturn not from the dealers. I hope that everyone on the Saturn side of the fence realizes that we are all excited! For many of us this is the first TOY of this type we have had the opertunity to afford! It is understandable that people are getting a little impatient.

Perhaps Saturn could keep it's dealer network more informed! My dealer seems to be doing his best to get me the information he has and can give out. If he can't give out an exact date for release or exactly something else then he should be allowed to give a range.

Perhaps Saturn could also do much more to improve it's communications through it's web site. Everyone remember the INTERNET? It's a beautiful and powerful communications tool. Keep the site up-to-date so that we feel we are being kept informed. Once we have an order number give us the ability to track our order? Dell is a big company. I know they sell computers and it's a different industry but Dell is the company it is today because it is inovative! Pehapse GM remembers being inovative?

Create a location on the web site for customers to log into. Now when our car sites at 30 for a month also include some general info (does not need to be specific to just one car) why cars are sitting. Waiting on Chrome wheels or red leather...etc... Saturn can connect my car to the internet through OnStar and report diagnostic results via my email. Why can't they communicate with me and let me know what's going on with our orders that many of us have had money down on for almost a year now.

This is not an attack on you in any way. It's just the other side of the coin!

Thanks for your post. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Thanks, Hoser.

I think part of the issue with the no haggle pricing is the fact that this is the first time Saturn has actually had a vehicle they COULD charge more than MSRP. Nearly everyone who sees the SKY for the first time guesses the price at >$35,000 some more like the BMW Z4's $45,000...

I'm sure there were a few (maybe two????) people that paid more than MSRP for an L-series :lol:, but the majority of them sold for MSRP or less - or were talked into front-loaded leases or such.

I also agree on the MSRP thing - it doesn't even require much internet savvy to figure out which stores are within driving distance and which are charging MSRP for a SKY. Those that are motivated by not handing over $3K - $5K to a dealer in lump sum cash will spend a few hours on the internet, make a call or two, and can get their hands on a SKY for MSRP. Or, they do the research and then order one with an agreement in writing of exactly what they are being charged.

Those that don't do the work will pay. It's as simple as that. If you would rather walk in, pay and walk out, and the extra $5k doesn't kill ya - then go for it. MOST of us are not that way, and are uncomfortable with that unknown nagging in the back of our heads that "we are paying more than someone else for the SAME PRODUCT".

This psychology is, I think, inherent in humans. Look how far we go to find gas that is 9 cents cheaper a gallon, or how we shop prices at WalMart and Meijer to get the best deal, or how we try and justify sub optimal performance with 87 Octane fuel just because it might save us the price difference of 91 octane fuel (even though it is <$200/year). (for a vehicle running 15,000 miles in a year at 22 miles per gallon average - it costs around 51 cents per mile to operate if you include fuel, wear and tear, tires, maintenance, insurance, etc. - the extra 20 cents per gallon works out to an extra 0.9 cents per mile :rolleyes: )

Those that are savvy enough check on the internet and find out "holy shiitakke mushrooms - I AM paying more than others for the SAME PRODUCT". We've all done it - you buy that movie or pair of jeans or that iPod for XX amount, then see it on sale for 4% less elsewhere and inside, we get PI$$ED...

Introduce the "no haggle" pricing - it doesn't say it outright, but it is IMPLIED by the very nature of the "no haggle" that you are getting a FAIR price for the product - feel comfortable and come on in and experience the low pressure sales of a Saturn Retailership.

But, what is "FAIR"? Yes, it is up to the retailer to decide what they are charging, but it is also against the law for all retailers to come together (officially or unofficially) and AGREE to charge XX amount over MSRP.

Fair, intuitively, to me, means I don't HAVE to go online OR SHOP AROUND to figure out if I am paying the SAME AMOUNT AS OTHER PEOPLE FOR THE SAME PRODUCT. That's "fair".

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
HOSER said:
Amen to all you said an more, Like i have said, if you can find the perfect car and perfect deal and perfect dealer and everything goes smooth as silk in the manufacturing and delivery, then WAKE UP, you are living in a dream world.....:driving:

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
:agree: Very true... Some are getting mad because their Retailer is "witholding" information from them and I'm willing to bet that only 5% of the time, this is the case. :thumbs: The new system (GM Workbench) is a monster of information; it gives you a ton of information but one has to know where to look at and as Hoser said, there is no efficient way to track the vehicle once it has gone to 040 (now 4000) and 042 (now 4200) until it actially gets to the retailer :banghead: . Our 2nd image has been 038 (now 3800) since 4/7/06 and is still there. :mad: The new system calls this In-Transit even though it has NOT been "Released to Carrier" as of yet... :eek:

The internet give us consumers a lot more information we, many years ago, didn't have access to. As much as all this information is great, is making all of us very frustrated waiting for our SKYs. It doesn't do us any good to have all this info if we are going to get mad about what it actually tells us. YES, it could be more efficient but remember this system is made to keep retailers informed and not the public informed. I want to get as many SKYs in as possible so that I can deliver them to their respective owners, so that I can be assigned more SKYs, so that I can fill more orders. :thumbs: As of now, we have a total of 28 deposits, 7 on order, only one has been delivered and among those deposits, four (4) are for the RedLine. Believe me, we really want to get them in... :thumbs:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have adopted this strategy:

Breathe, relax. Grasshopper, nothing you can do will change the outcome. The Sky will come when it is time for the Sky to arrive. Prepare. Anticipate, when has anything of long term good come of instant gratification?:cool:
When the call comes be ready. . .:thumbs:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
And sometimes the squeeky wheel gets the grease as well! :lol:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
My compromise was to pay MSRP and essentially $6,000 of aftermarket items already on the car. Am I sorry? Hell no!!!! I love it, I love everything about it. The XM, On Star, Navigation, Lojack, etc... just adds to the safety and conversation.

·
Registered
380 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
Amen to all you said an more, Like i have said, if you can find the perfect car and perfect deal and perfect dealer and everything goes smooth as silk in the manufacturing and delivery, then WAKE UP, you are living in a dream world.....:driving:
Wow! I must be living in a dream world. The car arrived in a realatively short time after imaging. I got exactly what I wanted on the car, chrome & everything for MSRP, got great dealer treatment from begining to end, and they even discounted some extras I ordered after the car was delivered. My car arrived before the dealers demo (he wanted an automatic). The car has run flawlessly and everything works fine. I have found non of the flaws in my Sky as mentioned in the threads. I am happy as a pig in slop! I guess I just live right.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I can understand people being upset with Saturn itself about the poor launch and communication. But, a lot of car companies have had bad launches on new cars.

as far as the communication part, as has been stated by hoser and by others, dealers are probably telling you all they know, but customer assistance at Saturn is not always up to date, on well, the world.

we have gotten plenty of calls from SCA asking us questions that customers have asked them that they SHOULD know, but don't. i can see why people can get frustrated there.

for example, i got a call yesterday from a nice southern-accented lady at customer assistance asking us if the power seats are available on the Sky.....and if it was height adjustable........she is nice and all, but the funny thing is she has called our particular store because we are more knowledgeable than most stores she has called.

now thats funny.

as far as your salespeople, ya, try not to give them a hard time. on the same token, in all reality, your salesperson will learn as much as he/she WANTS to. one salesperson may spend tons of time keeping up to date on the Sky and other Saturn issues, and er, checking out forums, and doing all the gm training stuff, and another may not. one may look at a Sky customer as a regular customer, and the other may simply see them as a lost opportunity for a sale right now (vs. a month or two down the road). if your salesperson isn't doing a REASONABLE job keeping you informed (if you request it, it is not their job to call you every 5 minutes and tell you the cars status), then find a different one. but be reasonable.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
My OPINION IS.... that there has been so much HYPE on this RELEASE of our BABIES..... that there is alot of miscommunication and.... misinformation being passed about... i am very HAPPY to read a thread that breaks it down and keeps it real...... The anticipation is HE.double hockey sticks to deal with,,,... but... IN THE END..... she/he will get here when the time is due... there is NOTHING we can do to hurry, speed, combat, delay, rush...... our getting them or NOT getting them in the time frame..WE want them in.... The dealerships only have a guess as to when to expect them in... from prior image-order-shipping-receiving of prior cars...... i think it frustrates EVERYONE more when as someone has said previous..... an opinion on one thread becomes REALITY on another..... very confusing.... I AM VERY HAPPY THAT ALL THE MODS.. and knowledgable members come forth to dispell rumors or things of that nature... THANK YOU...... you all have helped me keep my feet on the ground during my long wait for my Baby to get here.... it has helped me get through the..."rough" waiting times when i thought i would give up and just go get a Z3 or Z4.. or whatever..to have it NOW..... TY..SkyBaby-07

1 - 14 of 14 Posts