Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now unabashedly going to show my ignorance to all about my SKY and the newfangled computer that controls the engine and fuel and all that sort of stuff.

In the old days, my cars had carburetors and when you stepped on the accelerator more and more gas was fed into the engine allowing the RPMs to exceed the recommended maximum. Do that too hard or too long and you would blow your engine. (When I loaned my '79 Spitfire to a friend, that's just what happened. He over-revved it and whacked out one of the valves - I had to go for a whole head rebuild)...

Anyway, on the SKY with the smart computer and all, does it keep the engine from exceeding the RPM red line? Does it cut off the fuel supply so that if I plant the pedal to the floor I can feel carefree knowing that if I shift out just a little late that the computer will protect me from blowing my engine?

I don't want to experiment by trying it myself, so if anybody can explain what the computer does in this situation, I'd sure appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I'd have to poke around for specifics, but am sure someone will come along and tidy things up.

Yes, the computer will keep you off of redline.
Controls for rpms and top speed are among the various engine management values.

Edit: brain crashed. couldnt find words. "rev limiter"
Some discussion here:http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3432&highlight=rev+limiter
you should probably loan me your redline for testing of limiter....
N/A Sky has fuel cutoff at 7200 RPM.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'd have to poke around for specifics, but am sure someone will come along and tidy things up.

Yes, the computer will keep you off of redline.
Controls for rpms and top speed are among the various engine management values.

Edit: brain crashed. couldnt find words. "rev limiter"
Some discussion here:http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3432&highlight=rev+limiter
you should probably loan me your redline for testing of limiter....
N/A Sky has fuel cutoff at 7200 RPM.
RPM is computer controled but top speed is drag limited to around 126mph....on the base SKY, that is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
there is a fuel cutoff to prevent gross overrevving of the motor. however it will still allow you to goto to redline unloaded, which is far more harmful to the inner workings of the engine under an extended time period than while under load.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Yes the engine will go to redline then the brains kick out until it goes below redline...Skip....:lol: :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts