Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
well, if it's not your grocery getter, i'd say you could prolly fit a box somewhere in the trunk... but it'll reduce your storage space even more. If your into automotive bodywork, it might be possible to put a 10" or so right between the seats... i think that would look good, with a plexi-glass face and neon :cool:

I've been thinking about the same thing ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
101jinx101 said:
If your into automotive bodywork, it might be possible to put a 10" or so right between the seats... i think that would look good, with a plexi-glass face and neon :cool:
Fiero enthusiasts have been doing that for years (no doubt it's been done on other cars, too). It works well, from what I've read. Also, if there is any space behind the seats you might be able to put a box behind the passenger seat, or driver's side if you're short (also done on Fieros). :p

Seems the Solstice can be equipped with a factory sub. Maybe you can put one in the same place? Though my guess is that the factory sub is probably a lot smaller than you guys want to put in...

·
Registered
432 Posts
theirishgonzo said:
do you think you can stick a sub on the sky? and where? i want to fill out the last octave. i will be putting the amps under the passanger seat and getting a flipout dvd with nav system
there will be a factory sub location behind the passanger seat. im guessing it will be an 8" or 10"

as far as putting it in the trunk, with a convertable, you may not want to do that. the top will insulate against the sound and you'll hear a lot of buzzing on the rear deck lid.

i say, get some really good inside speakers, put in a really good sub behind the passanger seat, and get a pair of aura bass shakers. you'll be glad you did it that way!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I don't think a sub-box will fit very well in the trunk due to the very odd shape of the trunk. However I bet you could fit one of those Bazooka tube subs in there easily. It would in essence be sitting right on your fuel tank though.

There's plenty of trunk images over at the Solstice site. I'll link a couple.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Take a look at www.my350Z.com. The 350Z has a subwoofer directly behind the drive seat. They have pictures of how much room there is in the cavity behind the drive seat, quite substantial.

In the Z it is dead space. This could apply to the sky/solstice as well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
kingofhearts said:
Does anyone have a clue as to what the size and depth of the sub will be.
it could be either an 8 or 10, but my guess is for an 8. depth i would hazard a guess at about the same at the width.

:::kinda related:::

i was just thinking that since we sit so low in the car, there may not be a whole lot of room under the front seats for an amp. i wish we could get someone to get into a sol and take a pic under the seats. ill go over to the solforum and ask someone there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I work at Best Buy and I was talking to the guys at the install bay and they said that the monsoon system usually uses a six inch sub and JL makes a replacement sub for that application.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
kingofhearts said:
I work at Best Buy and I was talking to the guys at the install bay and they said that the monsoon system usually uses a six inch sub and JL makes a replacement sub for that application.
I'm not too suprised, good to know.

·
Registered
432 Posts
kingofhearts said:
six, not six and a half? that would be a pain. i would have to create a box of my own designed to use the same space. i need to use an 8 inch sub. *sigh* well, you gotta do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
swatthefly said:
six, not six and a half? that would be a pain. i would have to create a box of my own designed to use the same space. i need to use an 8 inch sub. *sigh* well, you gotta do what you gotta do.
well if you don;t need a bunch of passenger leg room you can probably build you a extension box outset from the factory location to install a larger Sub in and let the backside stick back into the hole probably only reduce the legroom a couple inches...

·
Registered
432 Posts
classic66vair said:
well if you don;t need a bunch of passenger leg room you can probably build you a extension box outset from the factory location to install a larger Sub in and let the backside stick back into the hole probably only reduce the legroom a couple inches...
its a good idea, but i am going for the "sleeper" sound system. i want it to look stock, other than the head unit. so i need the sub to fit behind the factory grill. ill just have to play around with the original location a bit.

·
Registered
250 Posts
? How will you change the head unit as it is built into the dash facia. Curiosity, not trying to discourage.. but I've always liked changing the system if it would bring greater sound. With this car it seemed that the only way to do this would have been switching the speakers and then maybe getting amps and eq's that would be housed seperately from the unit itself.

Just a ? for swatthefly. :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
sky_vue said:
? How will you change the head unit as it is built into the dash facia. Curiosity, not trying to discourage.. but I've always liked changing the system if it would bring greater sound. With this car it seemed that the only way to do this would have been switching the speakers and then maybe getting amps and eq's that would be housed seperately from the unit itself.

Just a ? for swatthefly. :)
well, i bet a year or so down the road, you'll be able to buy kits from best buy or what have you, and it will be a new dash fiasca designed for the new headunit.

however, right off the bat, it would need to be custom done. i prefer fiberglass myself, and i would still be able to keep that gloss black look and make it look stock. all you really have to do is take the dash fiasca off and use it to make a mold. then you can make a new fiasca out of fiberglass or carbon fiber or kevlar or whatever you want to have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm VERY into stereos. I currently have a $5,000 + system in my PT Cruiser currently, but this is the first vehicle that I will own where I will KEEP the headunit. No matter what dash kit you purchase, it will not flow with the rest of this beautiful dash. I personally like the look of the factory HU.

I think for the Sky, I'll order the monsoon package for the higher output and in-dash CD changer, I'll just simply replace the stock front and rear speakers with MB Quarts, and add a self powered Bazooka tube in the rear, plus replace the stock sub behind the rear seat as well.

That can all change if the factory headunit has a set of pre-outs, which I highly doubt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts