Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking, has anybody concidered installing a subwoofer behind the driver's seat? I like the bass vibration on the back of the passingers side seat.:cheers:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was thinking the same thing because I do like bass also, but I am not sure how I should go about installing a sub woofer in the car. I have considered behind the seat but it may be a pain in the rump due to cutting and customizing. I have had a stereo shop look at the trunk and in the center rear of the trunk they said they should be able to fit a 10" sub there. That is a more safe area to place a sub with trying to keep the car in original shape. I am against cutting into the plastic/metal behind either seat. If I do go through with the custom sub in the trunk I will post it under the Ultimate Stereo Thread. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I might do a removable sub box in the trunk too...has to come out easy though...for road trips. Depends on how it sounds...we'll see

·
Registered
804 Posts
Where are the extra speakers for the monsoon system placed?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Less space than a Fiero

I too have considered a sub, but there is less space than my old Fiero had... at least I was able to put a tube behind the passenger seat in it. I believe there is a sub that goes under the seat, it isn't actually a speaker but it somehow produces those annoying low frequinces:lol: It seems so funny that as small as the Fiero was it had 2 trunks as well as a spare... and some had a 6 cyclinder motor too:thumbs: Fiero's also started out with a 4 banger... oh well :deadhorse

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
84 Fiero

RedSky2night said:
I too have considered a sub, but there is less space than my old Fiero had... at least I was able to put a tube behind the passenger seat in it. I believe there is a sub that goes under the seat, it isn't actually a speaker but it somehow produces those annoying low frequinces:lol: It seems so funny that as small as the Fiero was it had 2 trunks as well as a spare... and some had a 6 cyclinder motor too:thumbs: Fiero's also started out with a 4 banger... oh well :deadhorse
My dad and I were driving along in a 1984 Fiero 4 cyl - manual - which had stereo speakers built into the back of the seat just behind each ear. We both heard the siren of an ambulance approaching so we pulled over to the left lane and slowed while we both looked for where the siren was comming - only to realize that the siren sound was actually a commercial on the radio. Not sure if they did that in 85 or not - but dropped it after that.

My brother had a 1988 Fiero GT with the sport suspension and the sub-woofer - I didn't care for either, the ride was too harsh and the sub-woofer was too much. The 1986 Fiero SE, gold, 6 cyl manual that my dad had was the best of the bunch in my opinion (only problem was the hand brake cable would stick).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Okay so this thread has really made me start to get active on this subwoofer thing in the trunk! I hardly use the trunk space as is and take my other car when I need to go shopping so the little trunk space turnign to none will not bother me at all. I went out and took a pic and measured the trunk space available for a subwoofer and came up with (center rear trunk) 22" L 16" W, and 9.5" H. This will be enough airspace/room for a 10" sub easy. I plan to make my sub box to be easily removable. I do not want ground shaking bass but a little thump in the trunk would be nice. I did get from an expert that the sub will have to point downward to get any response from it at all. He stated north or forward will only give you limited thump. I will probably mount the amp to the rear of the trunk against the wall. I do not really plan to have the amp removable as it does nto take too much space.

Subwoofer will go in center and amp to the left rear wall in the pic! **Note this will still allow the top to fold down and will not even touch the top in any way!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Ya know, more power to ya, but...

The whole essence of the SKY is as a top-down road-hugger. I don't think you're gonna get studio sound quality out of a top down car. There is just too much wind noise.

If you wan't something for blasting tunes to the point of inducing deafness, get an enclosed car, please.

If you are planning to install this kickass sound system to blast tunes with the top down and share that driving bass with everybody around you, might I humbly request, "Please? No."

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
tiger20005 said:
Okay so this thread has really made me start to get active on this subwoofer thing in the trunk! I hardly use the trunk space as is and take my other car when I need to go shopping so the little trunk space turnign to none will not bother me at all. I went out and took a pic and measured the trunk space available for a subwoofer and came up with (center rear trunk) 22" L 16" W, and 9.5" H. This will be enough airspace/room for a 10" sub easy. I plan to make my sub box to be easily removable. I do not want ground shaking bass but a little thump in the trunk would be nice. I did get from an expert that the sub will have to point downward to get any response from it at all. He stated north or forward will only give you limited thump. I will probably mount the amp to the rear of the trunk against the wall. I do not really plan to have the amp removable as it does nto take too much space.

Subwoofer will go in center and amp to the left rear wall in the pic! **Note this will still allow the top to fold down and will not even touch the top in any way!
I would LOVE to see the pic when you are done... and..... are you going to the SKY SHOW in Downers Grove????...... come on..... Virginia isnt THAT far... ....... it is going to be AWESOME...SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
421 Posts
tiger20005 said:
but a little thump in the trunk would be nice.quote]
...a little thump in the trunk...that's something I never would have thought of...or wanted for that matter :)nono: )

I was thinking of a little modified shelf for the front seat for when I run out to pick up groceries.

Got to hand it to you...a thump in the turnk. Skip if you pick this up, you got to weigh in.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
I have enough thump in the car now. Hell my mirrors vibrate to the jazz tunes I have now. Dont need more thump in the trunk. Besides I have a hump in the trunk, so I dont get a thump in the trunk. And besides there are noise laws and I see johnny law all the time on the road. Explain to a cop Ah officer I wanted a thump in my trunk. He is lible to put a thump upside my head.....Skip...Listens to cool jazz...:cool: :cool: :cool: I'll bring some to Downers Grove when I come up to Yankee terrritory to see yall... Skip he be cool...:cool: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I appreciate everyone's views, but remember this is not my primary car for grocery go getting! I drive this car on sunny days and will be taking it to shows, etc. I never said I wanted ground shaking bass! I want something that mixes well with the highs that I have now. I have never been one to sit at a light and pump bass into the cars beside me, I am extremely courteous and wouldn't be like that. I love a good mix of highs, mids and bass, not too much of one or the other. According to the experts (and I can only trust what they say), you will hear the sub in the trunk when installed.

Those of you who purchased the upgraded Monsoon I am happy for you but that wasn't the setup I really wanted and didn't want to pay that much for what I did not want. I have heard the upgraded Monsoon and it sounds good but again not what I wanted. I would rather spend my money on electronics that I want than what was being offered. For those who appreciate what I am looking forward to doing and those who are doing the same, thank you for your support! :thumbs:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tiger 20005 ,Don't ever let anyone tell you what to on your car. It's yours and you have fun with it. Since I started this thread, I 've gotten good Ideas from you!:cheers:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was hoping someone would of heard the product I mentioned ( in my earlier post) that goes under the seat that produces low tones:banghead: It would be perfect for the SKY it seems:thumbs: I just picked up a newer MP3 player, my old one from 1999 only held 8 songs :lol: It's like having my own XM radio and it goes where I go, in or out of the car:cool: I really recommend this approach for those of us who didn't get the upgraded stereo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts