Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
While I understand your logic I cannot say that I agree with it.
My ideal configuration for any car is cloth (but high quality) seats, and manual windows, locks, and doors. No fancy screens needed. Manual steering also desirable. But, I will have the best sound system money can buy.

I realize I might be in the minority.

·
Registered
17,843 Posts
The only thing better than a Sky without the power lock switch would be a Sky without the power door locks at all. And the only thing better than that would be a Sky with manual windows, but I don't think such a beast exists.
I cannot swear to this....but I believe the DAEWOO had manual windows....Source One had sets of these and I swear they were from DAEWOO. To do the other route with electric windows, I viewed the Daewoo commercials and it did have electric windows...this must be passed on to a higher authority.

·
Registered
17,843 Posts
Hi Mike,

Are you referring to how you connected to the BCM? The blue plastic bezel you are referring to, is that the retainer that locks the electrical contact pins into the BCN connector?

In the end, how did you connect to unused BCM connector pins? This might be my biggest challenge.
Yes...exactly...everytime I tried to unclip and reveal the BCM...it would disengage. I figured I had better leave it alone...remember, no good deed goes unpunished.

·
Registered
17,843 Posts
In my defense, I bought the two door panels and wire harnesses from one of the most reputable forum members here who sells second hand Sky parts. I won't mention his name as I don't want to embarrass him. He told me this is a plug-and-play installation. We were both surprised to learn of the incompatibility.

But that is water over the dam. I have to move forward with the "now challenging" approach.
10 years ago this was plug and play....it still is but I found it difficult to pry the blue bezel free so I could go forth with the info u needed....but have PERSEVERANCE. Be brave buckeroo....this to shall pass and u will be a more knowledgeable owner...and with operating door locks. It is the driver's side I would not do. Just too far from the BCM

View attachment 114020
Unfortunately the driver side of the car is going to be more home-made-ish.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My on-line search today for connector terminals was a bust. I could not find anyone selling terminals for that BCM connector and I learned nothing about the bulkhead connector so I called my local Chevy dealer parts department guy Brad. He helped me in the recent past with VIN-code stamped ignition keys (not copies of my worn original key) and a few other Sky part purchases. Brad remembered me and gave me his personal phone number and asked to text him my VIN and pictures of the connectors. He called me a couple hours later saying he thinks he has everything, very confident on the BCM, not quite sure on the bulkhead so he set aside me a variety of potential candidates.

So I go there and Brad said they don't inventory such parts and so they are "FREE". Adding to the blessing, he gave me more than I need in-case I mess up a terminal. I gave him $10 to cover his next lunch.

So I have these terminals now to move forward.
Part numbers as follows.
1) Far Right 15359541 (BCM, per the process document from JohnWR)
2) Middle 15326269 (BULKHEAD C600, low-amp thin terminals, in the middle area)
3) Left 15304731 and 15304732 (BULKHEAD C600, high-amp thick terminals, located in the 4 corners) Brad and I didn't understand why two numbers for seemingly the same part but he gave me both from different bins regardless.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
10 years ago this was plug and play....it still is but I found it difficult to pry the blue bezel free so I could go forth with the info u needed....but have PERSEVERANCE. Be brave buckeroo....this to shall pass and u will be a more knowledgeable owner...and with operating door locks. It is the driver's side I would not do. Just too far from the BCM
Thanks for the encouragement and the warning about the added pins for the BCM. I will try to get them to lock in like all the others, but maybe I will end up in your situation.

Regarding my driver side, I see the challenge will be from inside the driver door to the bulkhead area. From there to the BCM seems will be a "basic fishing of one wire". But you know what I am in for. I really don't have a clue....yet. I do want door lock buttons on both sides so I hope my determination doesn't get the best of me. I don't like non-OEM wiring, a compromise I will have to make. I will try to keep it clean with consideration to the elements, water and such.

·
Registered
245 Posts
While I understand your logic I cannot say that I agree with it.
Solstices, yes. Skys, no. At least, not from the factory.
There is no reason that manual operators from a Solstice could not be installed.
Too many creature comforts.... whatever happened to side curtains. In the good old days cars were 6 volts.... and had generators too..... whatever happened to the good old am fashioned radios .... with one speaker 🔈..... buttons that you pulled out and pushed back in to set a station...... and a button that you pushed with your left foot for the high beams..... Kids these days...... Jeesh! 🤔

·
Registered
17,843 Posts
Too many creature comforts.... whatever happened to side curtains. In the good old days cars were 6 volts.... and had generators too..... whatever happened to the good old am fashioned radios .... with one speaker 🔈..... buttons that you pulled out and pushed back in to set a station...... and a button that you pushed with your left foot for the high beams..... Kids these days...... Jeesh! 🤔
The one thing I do not recall from growing OLD are the curtains...76 and counting upwards. LOL. You left out whitewall tires

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm for technology advancements when it comes to the actual driving experience, but I really don't want, need, or like the excessive comforts. My daily driver 2005 Saab was ordered with the most powerful available engine, manual transmission, and the best available suspension package--but doesn't have power lock buttons on the doors and has manual seats, though, disappointingly, they are leather.

One of my favorite things about the Sky was that it had the manual roof--and I think it would have been fantastic if they'd done a version with manual everything. It's too bad there wasn't an Opel variant offered in a more basic configuration, but since the GT was very much just a homologated Sky and US market cars only seem to be offered in irritating "packages," it wasn't that surprising.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Wasn't there a stripped-out Solstice with crank-up windows? It had a unique option package name.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Wasn't there a stripped-out Solstice with crank-up windows? It had a unique option package name.
There was the Z0K option which was setup for SCCA racing, and which pretty much had all the options removed. There was a version for both the base Solstice and the GXP Solstice.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
I am done for the night. I finished the passenger door, complete with matching daylight LED lighting for the PDL and PW switches.

The bulkhead connector wire pass-thru worked great. The hole for the original unused terminal position had a rubber plug to keep out water so after I was finished, I added a tiny amount of silicone caulk around my added white wire in that connector to seal it just the same.

You can barely notice my custom wiring, less than 2" of visible white wire. Thanks again for telling me about the firewall hole. That worked out well. You can see how I managed the extra white wire there. I had a black rubber grommet on-hand, perfect for the raw metal hole..

I hope to get to the driver door tomorrow. It is going to be a lot harder, but I have more confidence now. It surely won't be as clean of an installation, but I will try my best.

BTW, I feel using the connector pins/terminals for the BCM connection are critical for reliability. That write-up mentioned just stuffing in a wire, but I don't see that working well. Using the terminal had it's own challenge getting it in all the way but now it's a good connection.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
There was the Z0K option which was setup for SCCA racing, and which pretty much had all the options removed. There was a version for both the base Solstice and the GXP Solstice.
That's what I was thinking of, just couldn't recall the option code...Z0K.

·
Registered
17,843 Posts
A word of caution....I should have mentioned this before....when working on the passenger's side....we tend to lean and put pressure on the passenger seat....there is always the possibility that the PPS (airbag) sensor will crack....and that is not a good ending. Just a reminder.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm for technology advancements when it comes to the actual driving experience, but I really don't want, need, or like the excessive comforts. My daily driver 2005 Saab was ordered with the most powerful available engine, manual transmission, and the best available suspension package--but doesn't have power lock buttons on the doors and has manual seats, though, disappointingly, they are leather.

One of my favorite things about the Sky was that it had the manual roof--and I think it would have been fantastic if they'd done a version with manual everything. It's too bad there wasn't an Opel variant offered in a more basic configuration, but since the GT was very much just a homologated Sky and US market cars only seem to be offered in irritating "packages," it wasn't that surprising.
One thing I don’t miss is changing points and condensers..... setting the gap and dwell. Never owned a dwell meter... had to always borrow one.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I have some great news. Just before bed, my wife wanted to see the passenger door completed. Also showing her what remains, just then I learned I was sold 2 passenger door wire harnesses. The seller made a mistake and will have the correct harness in the mail today. So as I see it, the driver side will be only a little harder, not nearly as hard as I thought.

BTW, my wife "LOVES" the door lock switch. This project is well worth the torture it is putting me through..

·
Registered
17,843 Posts
I have some great news. Just before bed, my wife wanted to see the passenger door completed.

BTW, my wife "LOVES" the door lock switch. This project is well worth the torture it is putting me through..
One day u will understand this in marriage....No good deed goes unpunished...☹

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yesterday I received the correct driver door wire harness and installed it last night which went well. I also added the extra white wire in the upper bulkhead connector, the one needed for the PWD switch to function.

What remains is fishing the wire from the bulkhead connector, to the BCM. I hope to finish today.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts