Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted to tell you how my trip to Chuck Mallett’s shop in Ohio went.

First let me tell you that Chuck was a great guy. He was there to great me after my 2000 mile trek across the country from Arizona and spent a good 2 hours with me showing me the shop an talking cars before he took me to the airport. You can tell how exited he was to show me what he had been doing with the Kappa platforms, and what was in works.

So, let’s get to the meat. At the time of my arrival, Solstice #39 had just been started. I was the latest Sky and I got Mallett VIN #6. So, that is 45 KAPPA’s to date out of 100 that will be built in the limited run.

While I was there he also showed me one of the LS7 Sky’s that was in work. For any of you who saw the LS7 Solstice in this months “Hot Rod” mag, the Mallett guys contributed a great deal to it. There were about 8 or so cars already in work at the time I was there not including mine and Chuck’s personal Sky (He gave up his solstice for it). Also in the shop were several Vette’s and Caddy’s in various stages of upgrades.

The staff and the shop were all top notch and the detail to workmanship was exemplary. They have truly re-engineered the platform to show off the potential and done a heck of a job. Even Bob Lutz himself was so impressed that he has endorsed all of the Mallett work. (BTW, Saturn was much more “amiable” to the re-works than the Pontiac performance guys…go figure)

For those of you wondering what Chuck does with all the Ecotec engines he inherits from his conversions, rest well, because he is putting them to good use. You did not hear it from me, but for those of you not wanting to spend $25k on the 400hp LS2 upgrade, look for a forced induction kit of some kind to come out next year making ~330hp for about 1/3 of that. Chuck’s personal Sky will be the guinea pig.

I could go into all the racing war stories we swapped and the great ideas on performance tuning for the KAPPA’s ( BTW, the Duel Induction Super+Turbo that runs on E85 was my idea if it ever happens! :p ) but the bottom line is I had a blast and am really glad I went. It is always great to meet people that are passionate about what they do, and the Mallett guys certainly are.

Attached are pics of my Sky after just getting to the shop, Chuck Mallett and his sky, a newly finished solstice, a line of Kappa's being upgraded, and the new suspension kit on a sky. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Oh my gosh!!! now that is a POST mister! I cant believe that I ever felt sorry for you for them shipping your car to the wrong local, cause right now I am sooooo jealous of your personal tour. What an experience, really incredible stuff.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Ditto! Way cool... and see, things turned out okay in the end. Keep updating this thread as you find out more about your Sky!

Thanks for the story and pics!

·
Registered
351 Posts
"You did not hear it from me, but for those of you not wanting to spend $25k on the 400hp LS2 upgrade, look for a forced induction kit of some kind to come out next year making ~330hp for about 1/3 of that. Chuck’s personal Sky will be the guinea pig."

Will that be for the 2.4L engine?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PieintheSky said:
"You did not hear it from me, but for those of you not wanting to spend $25k on the 400hp LS2 upgrade, look for a forced induction kit of some kind to come out next year making ~330hp for about 1/3 of that. Chuck’s personal Sky will be the guinea pig."

Will that be for the 2.4L engine?

Yes, that will be for the 2.4L engine!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
CyaL8r said:
While I was there he also showed me one of the LS7 Sky’s that was in work. For any of you who saw the LS7 Solstice in this months “Hot Rod” mag, the Mallett guys contributed a great deal to it.
They have truly re-engineered the platform to show off the potential and done a heck of a job. Even Bob Lutz himself was so impressed that he has endorsed all of the Mallett work. (BTW, Saturn was much more “amiable” to the re-works than the Pontiac performance guys…go figure)
Um, ummm, umm I don't know what to say cause I don't actually think any of that is true...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am just drooling over these cars and 330hp out of the 2.4 for under 9k would be very very tasty.

I would love to drive one of these cars, I am sure they are just insane. Considering I can get the back to lite-up in a quick turn with my stock sky these things should be a handful of CRAZY fun.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brentil said:
Um, ummm, umm I don't know what to say cause I don't actually think any of that is true...

Feel free to contact [email protected] to verify any of the statements I made. I am just repeating what I was told and I have no reason to doubt what he said.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
CyaL8r said:
Feel free to contact [email protected] to verify any of the statements I made. I am just repeating what I was told and I have no reason to doubt what he said.
I'm not saying I don't believe what you said, I'm saying I don't believe what was said to you.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
CyaL8r said:
CyaL8r said:
...For any of you who saw the LS7 Solstice in this months “Hot Rod” mag, the Mallett guys contributed a great deal to it. ...

...They have truly re-engineered the platform to show off the potential and done a heck of a job. Even Bob Lutz himself was so impressed that he has endorsed all of the Mallett work. (BTW, Saturn was much more “amiable” to the re-works than the Pontiac performance guys…go figure)...
Better yet - I may have a chance to ask a few questions of Lutz sometime in the next few months, I think I'll just ask him. Lutz has been asked about this before, but it will be interesting to see what he says when asked directly.

I might also get a chance to speak or communicate with an engineer or two in HPVO in the coming weeks. It was that group that basically built the Hot Rod LS7 Solstice, and they've been asked before if Mallett had any involvement (the answer was an emphatic NO), but it will be interesting to get the full story.

I'm a bit skeptical, though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, that will be intereresting. The one thing I know about the hot rod industry is that it is very in incestuous and very competative. I would be astonished if someone did not leverage work already done on a Kappa LS7 upgrade, be it a direct request or thru the grape-vine. Upgrade shops are ALWAYS stealing other peoples ideas to one degree or another and claiming they started from scratch.

Chuck is on the Payroll at GM as a consultant specifically for the Corvette platform. Hot Rod did use GM (admitted thru the article) to help with he upgrade. I can see an indirect path there where Hot Rod might not know where the advice came from. Or more likely, I can see GM engineers aware of what Mallett did and then re-distribute the advice. Personally I don't care, its a freakin cool as hell car and a lot of folks put time into it...why squabble over who's name is on the credit list. :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts