Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my SKY to the "All GM Car Show" outside of Los Angeles today, and hung out with the Opel Motorsports Club. I had a display showing the SKY flyer (the old, small one) next to the German Opel GT brochure... It was kinda freaky being among all those GTs. What great, great cars and fantastic people.

My SKY was smack dab in the middle of them, "One of these things is not like the others..." and dwarfed them all in size. It drew a huge crowd at the show.

As I sat back and looked at the scene, I could not help but think of a herd with the old veterans circled around the new family youngling for protection...

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Top Up?

Great Pics! Only question, in the center pic it looks like you have your top up, at least the Sky has it's top up. I only have 1555 miles on my Sky but less than 50 of those have been with the top up, and I live in "rainy" Washington State. Again, thanks for the great pics., mine is also Silver Pearl.

Peeksdad

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
peeksdad said:
Great Pics! Only question, in the center pic it looks like you have your top up, at least the Sky has it's top up. I only have 1555 miles on my Sky but less than 50 of those have been with the top up, and I live in "rainy" Washington State. Again, thanks for the great pics., mine is also Silver Pearl.
Right indeed. At this point, at 3PM it was 98 degrees, and I had to put the easel, bulletin board, those folding chairs, my cooler, cleaning cloths, the goodie bag, required fire extinguisher and all the other show stuff in the trunk. Made sense to go home with the top up after the show was over.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
jdigiant said:
Right indeed. At this point, at 3PM it was 98 degrees, and I had to put the easel, bulletin board, those folding chairs, my cooler, cleaning cloths, the goodie bag, required fire extinguisher and all the other show stuff in the trunk. Made sense to go home with the top up after the show was over.
Good thinking....great pics.....you should've called me...i would have met you in the valley, since i live near van nuys.....:confused:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Nice pics!:)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Similarities...

you know i think it is ironic the origonal Opel GT was a knock off of a 68 corvette, and now the Sky (new OpelGT) has come along with some styling cues from the same 68 Corvette... HMMM

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great Pics I can't wait to get on the car meet up circuit with me SKY RL

·
Registered
102 Posts
you know i think it is ironic the origonal Opel GT was a knock off of a 68 corvette,
That's the first time I ever heard that one, probably because you'd have to be blind to confuse the two cars. They both do have hidden headlights, however.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
GMguy said:
That's the first time I ever heard that one, probably because you'd have to be blind to confuse the two cars. They both do have hidden headlights, however.
lol you do not see the resemblance???? it was designed to look like a small corvette... if you were around back then you would have read that over and over.....

Attachments

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SkyMan 07 said:
you know i think it is ironic the origonal Opel GT was a knock off of a 68 corvette, and now the Sky (new OpelGT) has come along with some styling cues from the same 68 Corvette... HMMM
Actually, this is a very common myth - but an incorrect one. The Opel GT "Dream Car" was a big smash at the Frankfurt Auto Show in 1965, when the Corvettes looked very different. (The '65 car was to the production Opel GT as the Vauxhaul Lightning was to the SKY.) In fact, with it's square retractable headlights, no nostrils and hard creases over the rear wheels it looked a lot more like the '68 Corvette than the production Opel GT - which was also introduced in 1968.

So it's a myth that the Opel GT was designed to be a knock-off of the '68 Corvette. This is not true, since the Opel GT concept was first revealed in 1965. Both the Corvette and Opel GT followed similar design trends that were present in the mid-sixties: sloped noses, retractable headlights, chopped rear ends... And the two cars evolved side by side - perhaps with some collaboration of the designers of the two studios.

The Opel GT was a separately styled car in it's own right. As for the SKY, that's just a cheap knockoff of the Z06, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've always like the Opel GT. Sharp little car. There is a beat up chartruse one at a lot here in town (automatic), and has been sitting for the last 6 years. I talked to the guy years ago about geting the car, but he wanted 5 grand for it, and it was a rusty, and he has never sold it. Of course I should not be suprised, his lot is a former packard dealership and when the father died, they did nothing and sold nothing, and now there are trees growing up between the cars, the windows have been broken, and the cars are all just pieces of junk now.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
jdigiant said:
Actually, this is a very common myth - but an incorrect one. The Opel GT "Dream Car" was a big smash at the Frankfurt Auto Show in 1965, when the Corvettes looked very different. (The '65 car was to the production Opel GT as the Vauxhaul Lightning was to the SKY.) In fact, with it's square retractable headlights, no nostrils and hard creases over the rear wheels it looked a lot more like the '68 Corvette than the production Opel GT - which was also introduced in 1968.

So it's a myth that the Opel GT was designed to be a knock-off of the '68 Corvette. This is not true, since the Opel GT concept was first revealed in 1965. Both the Corvette and Opel GT followed similar design trends that were present in the mid-sixties: sloped noses, retractable headlights, chopped rear ends... And the two cars evolved side by side - perhaps with some collaboration of the designers of the two studios.

The Opel GT was a separately styled car in it's own right. As for the SKY, that's just a cheap knockoff of the Z06, right?
well the Mako Shark II of 1965 is what the 68 Corvette was taken from
http://www.gmphotostore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=53217447
Bill Michell Designed th Mako SharkII later in 69 to be slightly redesigned and released as the Manta Ray. I would have to agree that there had to be some collaboration between the two... there is no way their designs could look so similar without it... If the Opel GT had only used the tunnel back rear window the Corvette used they would look almost identicle...just the Opel would be smaller...
And If the Sky is a Cheap Knockoff of the Z06 iam proud that it is... I love it... and even Corvette owners do too..

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SkyMan 07 said:
well the Mako Shark II of 1965 is what the 68 Corvette was taken from
http://www.gmphotostore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=53217447
Bill Michell Designed th Mako SharkII later in 69 to be slightly redesigned and released as the Manta Ray. I would have to agree that there had to be some collaboration between the two... there is no way their designs could look so similar without it... If the Opel GT had only used the tunnel back rear window the Corvette used they would look almost identicle...just the Opel would be smaller...
And If the Sky is a Cheap Knockoff of the Z06 iam proud that it is... I love it... and even Corvette owners do too..
Thanks for the pic of the Mako Shark. I had seen that years and years ago, but not since then. You can see the lines of both cars in their respective show car prototypes, that's for sure. And I agree that if they want to call the SKY a knock-off of a Z06, that's a good thing. If Saab can use the slogan "Born From Jets" can the SKY use the slogan "Born From 'Vettes"? :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts