Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
want to switch sky cluster gauge to Opel Gt. what will happen will i get dummy lights. is the wiring compatible to the sky or what, let me know

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mike we spoke on the phone about you holding the windshield is there the problem? if im doing business with you. then im doing business with you not the forum. if theres a problem call me!

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
mike we spoke on the phone about you holding the windshield is there the problem? if im doing business with you. then im doing business with you not the forum. if theres a problem call me!
It's time to pick up the windshield...
Wasn't it time almost 6 weeks ago?:rolleyes:

And Ben, we did business with ICS, not with MM.
He only organized a group buy as to save us some money. And he was good enough to do all the logistics, get the delivery, store it, and wait for all the other members to pick theirs up. That was 3/26. Do the guy a favor and pick up your "spare" windshield.
Oh and just so you know what your getting...It has no differences from a "Sky" windshield. It is just an OEM GM windshield from the assembly line allocated for an "Opel". So don't expect it to make your car more of an "Opel".

Just thought you should know so that someone else with a broken or damaged window can get it out of MM's basement.:cheers:

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
want to switch sky cluster gauge to Opel Gt. what will happen will i get dummy lights. is the wiring compatible to the sky or what, let me know
Sorry, I hate to do this, but to get this post back on track...!

You cannot just switch clusters without a visit to the dealer to reprogram your new cluster to work with your car. If you have the new one, why not just swap the gauge faces? That way you keep you old, working gauges, but have the new Opel face. It's very easy to do, you just unclip the front window piece, gently pull off the needles, remove the face and replace.

If you don't have the Opel cluster yet, probably cheaper to go to Black Cat Customs and have him make one for you - you can customize it how you like then (incl. my 'true' Kappa trunk-open icon). See: New gauge faces - with corrected "trunk open" icon - Pontiac Solstice Forum

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Soup,
This is the first I heard that the cluster needs to be matched with the car. Everything I have read up to now indicates that the clusters are just a simple display driven by the BCM and are interchangable.

Since I am planning on doing this with both my cars - custom Black Cat plus bright LEDs - I would like to confirm that I need a trip to the dealer when I do the swap.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Soup,
This is the first I heard that the cluster needs to be matched with the car. Everything I have read up to now indicates that the clusters are just a simple display driven by the BCM and are interchangable.

Since I am planning on doing this with both my cars - custom Black Cat plus bright LEDs - I would like to confirm that I need a trip to the dealer when I do the swap.

PM SallySky. She got a spare cluster to go with her BlackCat face and had the dealer say they had to program it to the car. Note: I have not tried swapping clusters myself - you could always just try it and see?

But I still don't understand why you go the spare cluster route? Why not just do this on your original cluster? It's pretty quick to do (even WITH the LED change).

BTW if you got the Black Cat LED kit - certainly in white, as I did - you should check the relative brightness of the gas gauge after the swap. Mine was far brighter than the other gauge areas and I had to go back in later and swap in a larger value resistor to dim the gas-gauge-LEDs somewhat (sorry I can't recall the value I used).

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I got a second cluster because I swapped out the LEDs for a custom color that Alex found for me. Its just easier to have one ready to go.

Also, the plastic face on the installed clusters is dirty and scratched. The new one is prestine. I plan on swapping them out and then taking my time to polish the "old" one before I use it to swap out in the second car.

You know I am into subtle so too BRIGHT is bad. I will have to look into that.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my custom cluster

as you know im doing a Gt. conversion with that being said the the saturn ecm displays saturn.i want it to display Opel is that possible with the Opel cluster and having it programed at the dealer? i went to black cat had a custom one done . by the way i like that trunk mod! /Users/:thumbs:/Desktop/Benssky013-1.jpg/Users/Benstevenson/Desktop/securedownload-1.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
If you change the display to the GT mode it only speaks in French, KPH, Newton meters and has a bad attitude. It also refuses to operate on random days of the week.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Sorry, I hate to do this, but to get this post back on track...!

You cannot just switch clusters without a visit to the dealer to reprogram your new cluster to work with your car. If you have the new one, why not just swap the gauge faces? That way you keep you old, working gauges, but have the new Opel face. It's very easy to do, you just unclip the front window piece, gently pull off the needles, remove the face and replace.

If you don't have the Opel cluster yet, probably cheaper to go to Black Cat Customs and have him make one for you - you can customize it how you like then (incl. my 'true' Kappa trunk-open icon). See: New gauge faces - with corrected "trunk open" icon - Pontiac Solstice Forum

I got a new cluster from Source One (ICS), swapped it, done. No trip to the dealer. But the problem remains as there is only KPH on it. Not gonna pass in the US if someone notices..If you want an Opel GT cluster go here...

OPEL GT INSTRUMENT CLUSTER KPH ONLY 15928230 | eBay

But it will say Saturn Sky when you start it.(as you know)
Don't think the dealer has the magic to change that. Probably need an ECM and/or a BCM from an Opel GT. The who knows what will happen.

Hey I just had a thought...Why not instead of dumping all this $$$$$into a "conversion", why not just import the real thing and go from there.:confused:
Probably would have been less expensive and the real deal...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts