Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
7,051 Posts
Soup,
This is the first I heard that the cluster needs to be matched with the car. Everything I have read up to now indicates that the clusters are just a simple display driven by the BCM and are interchangable.

Since I am planning on doing this with both my cars - custom Black Cat plus bright LEDs - I would like to confirm that I need a trip to the dealer when I do the swap.

That's also news to me (going to the dealer to program the new gauge cluster)!
I bought an extra KPH cluster and switch with a new face cover and works fine in MPH.... :confused:

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
That's also news to me (going to the dealer to program the new gauge cluster)!
I bought an extra KPH cluster and switch with a new face cover and works fine in MPH.... :confused:
Maybe the stealer was stringing SallySky a line then. (I know - when does that ever happen?)

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Hello,

I can confirm that swapping does require TechII programming I just swapped mine last Friday. Go with Soups idea and get it done by Black Cat Customs. They did my face and I like it although the icons bleed some. I got it in 2007 and I think they have improved since then.

Joyce

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Hello,

I can confirm that swapping does require TechII programming I just swapped mine last Friday. Go with Soups idea and get it done by Black Cat Customs. They did my face and I like it although the icons bleed some. I got it in 2007 and I think they have improved since then.

Joyce
OK so I swapped my cluster for a Redline cluster bought from Source One and needed nothing. Why would yours need programming? It's a plug and play install. All the info is stored in the computer. What did you swap?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I put the new face from Black Cat on a Redline cluster I got from ICS before they closed down. The dealer struggled with getting it to work correctly as a direct swap. They said it needed to be programmed could also have been a way to charge me more.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I got the same thing and did it myself as did others here. No programming. sounds like they took you for the extra $$$, Sorry:banghead:

·
7,051 Posts
I got the same thing and did it myself as did others here. No programming. sounds like they took you for the extra $$$, Sorry:banghead:
Maybe she got the NA (140) cluster and install it in a redline (160) ICS at the time were selling those 140MPH clusters also.... :dunno:

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Na it was the Redline version I think they over charged me. I called the service department today to complain and they credited me an hour of the labor fee plus gave me a $ 15% off coupon for my next chargeable service. Thanks guys

·
7,051 Posts
Na it was the Redline version I think they over charged me. I called the service department today to complain and they credited me an hour of the labor fee plus gave me a $ 15% off coupon for my next chargeable service. Thanks guys
So they tried charging you on the sneak until you found out... Credit this one to the SkyRoadster members for letting you know the real deal that their is no such thing on the work your dealer claim was done....... :thumbs:
See, a few of us know..... :D

·
Registered
997 Posts
I had a dealer tell me a few years ago that they would have to program a cluster for another car that I own. I did a little research and that wasn't the case at all. I did the swap in my driveway without any problems.

·
Registered
217 Posts
There is one difference that everyone is overlooking when replacing the Saturn with GT cluster.

The GT has a rear foglight warning indicator on the speedo, it is where the Gas light is on the Sky.

I found this problem when I repaced my GT cluster with this. I changed the face plate on my original GT speedo. and the fuel light is lit when the rear fog is on.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
There is one difference that everyone is overlooking when replacing the Saturn with GT cluster.

The GT has a rear foglight warning indicator on the speedo, it is where the Gas light is on the Sky.
Yep. That's a problem! Good to know, thanks.

So where did the petrol-empty light move to, or isn't there one on the GT's?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yep. That's a problem! Good to know, thanks.

So where did the petrol-empty light move to, or isn't there one on the GT's?
take a look for yourself. :)

·
7,051 Posts
Very good point, I didn't even notice that...... :thumbs:
Looks like I will be changing my gauge face back to the old cluster.... Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Crisswell?

I lived in Montgomery Village for a couple of years and had some work done there on a few vehicles. I wasn't impressed.

When I first moved to MD and not knowing who to trust I went to the GM dealership. They soaked me to rebuild the steering columns in two vehicles because the tilt had, 'some play' in it. $500 later for each vehicle and it wasn't any tighter than when I took it in. Then on one of my cars they got me for $50 to change a license plate bulb. One of the two burned out.

I wish I had gone to the corner garage. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I know this has probably been covered some where on the forum but I can't bring it up when I search, but is there a way to change the color of the gauge cluster? I've been wanting to change mine to red from the orange. Any info would be greatly welcomed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
OK so I swapped my cluster for a Redline cluster bought from Source One and needed nothing. Why would yours need programming? It's a plug and play install. All the info is stored in the computer. What did you swap?
Did you need to recalibrate the speedo? I just noticed my recent purchase has had the face switched to the RL. The base goes to 140mph while the RL speedo reads up to 160mph, and now I'm concerned...

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Did you need to recalibrate the speedo? I just noticed my recent purchase has had the face switched to the RL. The base goes to 140mph while the RL speedo reads up to 160mph, and now I'm concerned...
You do know how to test quickly whether or not the speedo needs recalibration, don't you?

Have a highway near by that has mile markers? Set your cruise control to an indicated 60 mph, and time how long it takes you to drive 1 mile exactly. It should take exactly 60 seconds. It's more accurate to test over a greater distance.

:thumbs:

21 - 40 of 50 Posts