Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
If one has a smartphone, there are many free speedometer applications available. Compare the cars speedometer to the phone..... not too sure about the +\- accuracy would be.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
If one has a smartphone, there are many free speedometer applications available. Compare the cars speedometer to the phone..... not too sure about the +\- accuracy would be.
Or any standalone GPS.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
Did you need to recalibrate the speedo? I just noticed my recent purchase has had the face switched to the RL. The base goes to 140mph while the RL speedo reads up to 160mph, and now I'm concerned...
If only the face was changed the speed will be incorrect. If it was the entire cluster it will be correct.

You do know how to test quickly whether or not the speedo needs recalibration, don't you?

Have a highway near by that has mile markers? Set your cruise control to an indicated 60 mph, and time how long it takes you to drive 1 mile exactly. It should take exactly 60 seconds. It's more accurate to test over a greater distance.
60MPH is the easiest speed to use, but this can actually be done at any speed, as long as the speed is constant over the measured distance.

You should use the trip odometer to compare the distance travelled to that measured by the car. If the distances match, the gauge face was changed or the pointer moved. If the distances do not match the tires are a different size or the final drive ratio is different.

Reactions: Ubie

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the advice all, I used a GPS tracker on the phone and it's within a few %. Either the PO calibrated or installed a whole new cluster out of a RL. Good times...

·
Registered
17,753 Posts
It does not need recalibration...I have an NA with a R/L cluster....14 yrs now....matter of fact it goes in reverse the odometer....I am losing miles... :giggle:

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
It does not need recalibration...I have an NA with a R/L cluster....14 yrs now....matter of fact it goes in reverse the odometer....I am losing miles... :giggle:
You missed the question. he originally thought that only the gauge face had been replaced, not the entire cluster.

·
Registered
17,753 Posts
You missed the question. he originally thought that only the gauge face had been replaced, not the entire cluster.
I no longer can read and understand....too many years perhaps :giggle: But I was close. Went back to review the question....although he speaks of the R/L cluster....I changed the entire cluster....It is really one unit. To remove just the Speedometer and not the rest of the unit would be a bitch.(not a dirty word) He had to remove the entire cluster

·
Registered
653 Posts
I am NOT commenting on the change from the Base140 mph to the Red-Line 160 mph because I simply don't know. But I have an experience that may be applicable regarding the accuracy of the Base 140 mph speedometer.

Our 2007 Base Sky was purchased with stock size wheels and tires.

When driving our Sky home to the Chicago area from where we bought it in the Atlanta area, my wife followed me home in our 2014 Nissan Altima. She kept calling me to tell me to slow down. We decided to compare our speedometers. The Sky was registering about 2 to 3 mph slower than the Altima. So at 70mph, my wife said she was traveling at 72 to 73 mph.

Months later while restoring our Sky, one project I included was replacing the gauge face and install LED backlighting, a kit I purchased from Black Cat Custom. As part of the project, the speedometer and tachometer needles were removed and later reinstalled, so calibration was required. I had my wife's observation in my mind while doing it. Still, I did not want to assume the Sky was at fault.
so........

When I installed the needle at "0" mph, then drove the car, my phone's GPS said I was travelling about 2 to 3 mph faster than the needle stated. Ah! That was the exact same difference as our Nissan Altima.
so........

I set the speedometer needle 2 mph below the "0" mark. Now I am between 0 and 1 mph from actual speed as declared by a GPS and also our other car.

If you are curious, here is our gauge cluster after the Black Cat Custom kit was applied. It's nothing fancy, actually intentionally made as plain as possible to reduce distraction and glare. I intentionally removed reference to km and other little extra IP notations.

If anyone is interested in my original Base gauge face, Paypal me $20 and I will include shipping anywhere in the USA. It's the lower one in the picture.

·
Registered
17,753 Posts
I am NOT commenting on the change from the Base140 mph to the Red-Line 160 mph because I simply don't know. But I have an experience that may be applicable regarding the accuracy of the Base 140 mph speedometer.

When driving our Sky home to the Chicago area from where we bought it in the Atlanta area, my wife followed me home in our 2014 Nissan Altima. She kept calling me to tell me to slow down. We decided to compare our speedometers. The Sky was registering about 2 to 3 mph slower than the Altima. So at 70mph, my wife said she was traveling at 72 to 73 mph.

Months later while restoring our Sky, one project I included was replacing the gauge face and install LED backlighting, a kit I purchased from Black Cat Custom. As part of the project, the speedometer and tachometer needles were removed and later reinstalled, so calibration was required. I had my wife's observation in my mind while doing it. Still, I did not want to assume the Sky was at fault.
so........

When I installed the needle at "0" mph, then drove the car, my phone's GPS said I was travelling about 2 to 3 mph faster than the needle stated. Ah! That was the exact same difference as our Nissan Altima.
so........

I set the speedometer needle 2 mph below the "0" mark. Now I am between 0 and 1 mph from actual speed as declared by a GPS and also our other car.

If you are curious, here is our gauge cluster after the Black Cat Custom kit was applied. It's nothing fancy, actually intentionally made as plain as possible to reduce distraction and glare. I intentionally removed reference to km and other little extra IP notations.
View attachment 113860

If anyone is interested in my original Base gauge face, Paypal me $20 and I will include shipping anywhere in the USA. It's the lower one in the picture.
View attachment 113861
View attachment 113863

so........

so........

View attachment 113860

View attachment 113861
View attachment 113863

41 - 50 of 50 Posts