Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don't know if anyone has already touched on this; if so, sorry. I ordered my sky a month ago and am wondering about running synthetic oil through it. Any suggestions on brand, weight, etc. . . and why doing so is better for the car? Also curious about how the sky's engine would compare to my old 96 sc2 (1.9 liter, 124 hp), besides the obvious of course.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Just tonight i bought some Mobile 1 5w-30. I will run that thru her every 6k. My Ion Red Line requires this oil because it is supercharged. IMO ...it's worth it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Barry is right Mobil1 5W30 is good and what I use too and will change mine every 5k or so...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had my Saturn dealer do my first oil change at 500 miles.
I am waiting to hit 1000 miles.
I will be using Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic after that.
I've heard nothing but great reviews about Mobil 1.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I recently read a rather comprehensive piece on oils and the one thing it convinced me was that synthetic oils are of little or no value over
non-synthetics. I've owned cars for 40 years and used conventional oil all that time and have NEVER had an oil related failure nor undue loss of compression.
Those who use synthetics seem to be trying to solve a problem that simply doesn't exist. Another factor is that when Mobil 1 first came out they claimed it was good for 25K miles. My brother told me fllat out that that was nonsense - the reason oil needs to be changed is primarily because of contamination from moisture, blowby gases, etc and synthestics have no advantage over conventional oils in that regard. Mobil quickly withdrew the 25K suggestion,
probably as a result of their engineers complaining. I think it's significant that I've never seen any independent data reports that made ANY claims that synthetic oil was better. Now perhaps in ultra performance engines it may be different, but I've yet to see any convincing data that would lead me to change my habits. I have seen GM oil research data that showed 5W30
weights leading to less wear, but the advantages weren't staggering.

·
Registered
138 Posts
tried synthetic oil in an older workiing viehicle (1990) gmc 1 ton,350 engine. tried to save money on oil changes. did save, until i hade to put a new motor in it for 5000.00 k. if GM or any other company thought is was i good idea to put synthetic oil in your viehcle, they would do it from the factory. stick to dealer recommended oil changes or less. you can never change you oil too much, but you can definately change it not enought.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Gm does the install Mobil One straight from factory in one of there most tech advance motors they make for the $64,000 Chevy Corvette. But for older cars i would go will std oil somebody once told me that sly oil will find oil leaks and make them worse not really sure how true that is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Preciate all the insight folks; just trying to gain as much info as possible before the car arrives in late July.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Use any name brand synthetic, they are all vastly superior to any type mineral oil. I would stay away from the 5W oils unless you do winter driving. Here in Florida 10-30W is the way to go.

·
Registered
684 Posts
My money say's that when the Sky Red Line arrives, there will be a logo on the oil filler cap w/ Mobile 1 5w30. It is the same 2.0 as our Supercharged Ion RedLine's and Saturn say's use only Mobile 1 5w30. I figure if it's good for the Red Line it is just fine for the regular Sky. Just my honest opinion.

·
Registered
517 Posts
GMguy said:
I recently read a rather comprehensive piece on oils and the one thing it convinced me was that synthetic oils are of little or no value over
non-synthetics. I've owned cars for 40 years and used conventional oil all that time and have NEVER had an oil related failure nor undue loss of compression.
Those who use synthetics seem to be trying to solve a problem that simply doesn't exist. Another factor is that when Mobil 1 first came out they claimed it was good for 25K miles. My brother told me fllat out that that was nonsense - the reason oil needs to be changed is primarily because of contamination from moisture, blowby gases, etc and synthestics have no advantage over conventional oils in that regard. Mobil quickly withdrew the 25K suggestion,
probably as a result of their engineers complaining. I think it's significant that I've never seen any independent data reports that made ANY claims that synthetic oil was better. Now perhaps in ultra performance engines it may be different, but I've yet to see any convincing data that would lead me to change my habits. I have seen GM oil research data that showed 5W30
weights leading to less wear, but the advantages weren't staggering.
Great info. I have never had an oil related failure either and I have never used synthetic except in the viper. I wont use it in the sky either. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts