Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Manual transmissions didn't have syncros for a lot of years. In their most basic form, they're a device that lets people that don't know how to shift, shift.
I have to agree with that.

Most people don't have a clue how to drive a car with a manual transmission so that it doesn't wear out. Very few go easy on the upshifts and almost no one can double clutch going down to save the synchro.

The only reason I drive in a way that minimizes wear on the transmission is that I came up with British cars, not American and the synchros were a too soft brass compound that would wear out amazingly quickly if you didn't figure out how to drive - and the particular cars I was mostly driving required the engine to come out to get the trans out, so an even more expensive penalty for being a ham fisted shifter.

The T56 swap is a pretty expensive alternative to learning how to drive a manual.....what's the total, $8,150 plus labour. If you do want to do this, Dave's kit would seem to be the foolproof way to go - nice someone has put all the pieces together, as it were.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As some of you know we offered teh T56 kit before, but we took it down while we were working on getting some of our products updated and easier for installation. We have now completed the overhaul of our T56 kit and it is back up for sale now!

The install kit starts at $3750 and has a couple options.

We have seen stock transmissions start to have an issue at stock power levels with long term driving on them, let alone at higher power levels then stock. The Factory Syncros in 3rd and 4th gear are the weak spot and will start to wear over time at higher power levels. So we are the first to come up with the ultimate upgrade to the stock 5 speed transmission. This T56 conversion swaps in a 6 speed T56 transmission from a Pontiac GTO with a LS2 V8 into the Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky and gives you an almost indestructible transmission in the Solstice and Sky

This conversion can be completed on either an automatic car to convert it to a manual, or as a straight upgrade to your stock 5 speed. Also available as an option is to have your stock driveshaft modified, or a new lightweight aluminum driveshaft for the conversion. Our conversion kit includes the following parts -

• New GM Clutch Slave Cylinder
  • New GM Pilot bearing
  • Slave Cylinder spacer
  • New GM flywheel bolts
  • New DDMworks lightweight flywheel
  • New DDMworks Clutch kit
  • New DDMworks custom bellhousing adapter
  • New VSS plug
  • New backup switch
  • New T56 shifter adapter
  • New T56 shift ball
  • New DDMworks Custom T56 backbone 1/2" thick
  • All new associated hardware needed for install

This is everything needed to convert your car from the stock 5 speed to the much stronger T56 6 speed transmission found on in many of the V8 swaps into the Solstice/Sky. Every nut and bolt you need is included in the kit. You can choose to source your own T56 transmission from a 2006 or newer Pontiac GTO, or purchase a new one as an option listed above and have everything delivered together. Other T56 transmissions can be used with our kit, but will require the rear shifter mechanism from the GTO, the rear shifter mechanism is pictured above, the GM part number is #92147175. We also offer this as a conversion service here at the shop, please email or contact us for current price of installation.

If converting an automatic car, you will also need a new clutch pedal and brake pedal and a few other components. Please contact us and we can get you the additional parts needed.

This kit is built to order and typically takes about 3-4 weeks after ordering before shipping.

T56 Conversion for Solstice/Sky by DDMWorks

Way to go Dave, I just emailed you about the loss of your kit on your site, and here we go, a fix or solution to the lack of GTO transmissions. I have to hold off for now because of my engine build. Glad you came through for us!!!! Thanks for the update.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Say what??

Why not both? ;)

Just kidding, actually this kit can be used with our clutch kit on the 2.4L. So if you get our clutch and ever want to upgrade to the T56 you can without having to change out the clutch again. We just have to know when you order the conversion kit.

Hope that helps, and yes I would like fries with that ;)

Dave
So what your saying here is the 2.4 clutch kit will work with the T56 also? If So why can't I go back to my Spec clutch 3+ like I had before?

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Dave, the stock T-56 just adds another overdrive ratio on top of the regular 5 sped, nd that is only useful if you do a lot of high speed highway driving.

Do you know if other gear sets are available with a 5th at 1.00?

Reason I ask is that I have another car with a 6 speed and 5th is 1.00 and 6th is .85 (a normal OD ratio). Essentially an ultra close ratio 6 speed. Not as necessary perhaps with the turbo cars, which have a broad torque plateau, but nicer for the NA cars.

Update - did some research and it looks like all the stock sets have really long top ratios except a special Viper racing set with a .75 6th gear. Guess one would need custom for anything else.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.