Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.terrafugia.com/vehicle.htm

Specifications
(all numbers are preliminary until delivery of production vehicle)

GTOW: 1320 lbs.
Max Payload: 430 lbs.
Fuel Capacity: 20 gallons (120 pounds)
Engine: ~100 hp
Vs = 50 mph
Vr = 70 mph
Vh = 135 mph
Fuel Consumption (75% power): 4 GPH
Cruise Speed (75% power): 120 mph
Gas Mileage: 30mpg (air), 40mpg (hwy), 30mpg (city)
Max Wingspan = 325 in (27 ft)
Max Length = 225 in (18.75 ft)
Max Height = 80 in (6.75 ft)
Width when folded up = 80 in (6.75 ft)
Minimum Takeoff Distance ~ 1500 feet
Fuel: Super-unleaded/100LL

Q: Can I takeoff from the freeway if I am stuck in traffic? Can I land on the freeway? :jester:

A: As with any aircraft, taking off or landing on a freeway would be very dangerous for you and the other drivers on the road – even in an emergency. Terrafugia strongly recommends the use of the 5,000+ public-use airports around the country. :banghead:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pretty interesting, except when you run out of gas in your vehicle it just stops...here it gets a little more interesting. Wonder what the glide ratio is...doesn't, look like it would be that great.

·
Registered
877 Posts
you can put a deposit on this one

·
Registered
877 Posts
yes it is, there website is accepting deposits - delivery :willy:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Iceman49 said:
Pretty interesting, except when you run out of gas in your vehicle it just stops...here it gets a little more interesting. Wonder what the glide ratio is...doesn't, look like it would be that great.
I ran out of gas on the freeway, and it took nearly 45 minutes for the auto club to come by and gas me up. If I was airborne, I could be suck up there waiting for hours...

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
God save us from the day that the average guy thinks flying something like this is a good idea. Probably 90% of the popluation has neither the aptitude nor attention span to successfully operate a vehicle in a 3-D environment.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Cessna 152 $25,000
Cobalt $17,000

Total $42,000

Skycar
$60,000?

Doesn't make a lot of sense when the Cessna and the Cobalt are both safer, perform better, and are cheaper.

You'll never see a mass-produced Sky car unless somebody comes up with a new technology to make a conventional car fly.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
bradyb said:
You'll never see a mass-produced Sky car unless somebody comes up with a new technology to make a conventional car fly.
Who in their right mind would want to enter airspace overpopulated with idiots zipping around in Sky Cars? This is a dream which will never become a reality.

·
Registered
692 Posts
There's enough poor drivers on the road already. Why in the name of Chr..t would I want to have them in the air above me too?!!:crazy:

Imaged 23/06/06
BUILD WEEK! 31JUL06 – 06AUG06
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual
LSD
6 Disc Monsoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Windscreen
Wheel locks
Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
StarlightSky said:
There's enough poor drivers on the road already. Why in the name of Chr..t would I want to have them in the air above me too?!!:crazy:
Or, heaven forbid, the airspace around you. Can you imagine a spacially disoriented moron chatting away on his cell phone and reading the morning newspaper while trying to fly an aircraft?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Mollers site says (how this could ever happen?):A airway network will direct all Skycars in such a manner that, while traveling in a specific direction on a designated computer controlled airway, they will all be going at the same speed and be automatically separated from one another.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Anything is possible, the problem comes when it doesn,t work as planned...Moeller has been trying to do it for years...to many moving parts.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I prefer to have my wheels on the ground:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
vstar said:
Mollers site says (how this could ever happen?):A airway network will direct all Skycars in such a manner that, while traveling in a specific direction on a designated computer controlled airway, they will all be going at the same speed and be automatically separated from one another.
It's like abstinence only birth control... it works until it doesn't work.

Mechanical breakdowns... computer malfunctions... birdstrikes... microbursts... too many things to go wrong that cannot be dealt with from the ground.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts