Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a base Sky for a test drive. Everything was great until I downshifted, floored the gas and waited....waited.....and waited some more for it to build up speed. Question is, do I buy a base Sky and strap a turbo to it (no fear of working on cars, restored a couple) or should I wait for the Redline to become more available, possibly late '07 or early '08. Who here has equipped their base with a turbo and what kind of performance improvement has it made (1/4 mile times)?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I just took a base Sky for a test drive. Everything was great until I downshifted, floored the gas and waited....waited.....and waited some more for it to build up speed. Question is, do I buy a base Sky and strap a turbo to it (no fear of working on cars, restored a couple) or should I wait for the Redline to become more available, possibly late '07 or early '08. Who here has equipped their base with a turbo and what kind of performance improvement has it made (1/4 mile times)?
Get a Corvette Z06...you will like it much more......

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
A little more information is required here. What gear were you in orginally and at what speed? What gear did you down shift to?

·
Super Moderator
11,587 Posts
What kind of performance are you looking for? The base Sky is not a rocketship. It is a handling car and not a speed car. After all, we're talking a high reving 177 hp four cylindar with really tall gearing. I get over 60 in fourth before I crack 3K RPM. That's a tall stinking gear. You almost need to downshift from fifth to third to really get it to pick up.

I'll also mention that the engine seems to wake up past 7K miles. I know mine sure felt like it did.

I've driven a Hahn Turbo Solstice with the stage II kit and it definately woke it up some...but keep in mind that my other car just turned in a 13.1 second pass at 4500 feet and outran an early C6 vette that had been running a 13.3 all day. So for me to say that it woke it up some is, by no means, saying it felt like my other car. But it definately gave it more power than the basemodel and was much more fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I agree, to slow for my taste, doesn't really matter where he downshifted at... its not really what some of us would be happy with. I dream of putting a Hahn on my sky but at 4k bucks... it will have to wait.

heres a little info-- you'll find much much more on the SOL forum--- quite a few have had the turbos for months over there.

not sure of the 1/4 mile times but the Hahn puts out about 242whp.. more than the redline. 4000.00 smackers!

stage 3 - 291whp

stage 4 - in development but putting out 350whp at the moment.

I believe he's ran high 12's with the stage 4 so far with stock internals (except the clutch) and street tires.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I agree, to slow for my taste, doesn't really matter where he downshifted at... its not really what some of us would be happy with.
If he's a speed freak, then probably the Sky is not for him and he should not have been surprised by that. For most people, however, it's quick enough.

I'm just wondering if he's like the guy a couple of weeks ago who was complaining about a vibration when he drove the car in 5th gear at 30 mph. Downshift to 4th at 30mph and you're gonna go nowhere any time soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
First, thanks for the opinions. As for the C6 vette, I would love it but can't afford it. I think that's why I'm so drawn to the Sky; it looks like a mini-me version of the vette.

As for the downshift, it was from 2nd to 1st at about 10 M.P.H. I'm looking for healthy enough power to be able to flip the rear out around a corner (for the fun of it and possible SCCA autocross) and run mid to low 14's at the track. I used to race shifter karts (40 h.p., 6-speed, 2-cycle go-karts for those of you who don't know) and would like the experience of driving my Sky to be similar to that; except of course that I could commute to work.

I'll also check out the Sol. forum as another had suggested.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
If he's a speed freak, then probably the Sky is not for him and he should not have been surprised by that. For most people, however, it's quick enough.

I'm just wondering if he's like the guy a couple of weeks ago who was complaining about a vibration when he drove the car in 5th gear at 30 mph. Downshift to 4th at 30mph and you're gonna go nowhere any time soon.
I have to disagree... I think the sky is the perfect car for the speed freak. The aftermarket is really picking up for the sol/sky... I happen to be a speed freak, I'm just one without any money :nonod:

the cars looks can't be beat.. its handling is top notch... it has everything except speed. This car fits many different personality types... albeit, it does take a few bucks to get the speed out of it... but everything so far has been bolt on... even the turbo has been installed by the garage mechanic (don't know if I would do that). Just my opinion, but I think the sky is very universal. I can't imagine driving this thing around with a mallet V8!!!!

it offers something for everyone.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I'm looking for healthy enough power to be able to flip the rear out around a corner (for the fun of it and possible SCCA autocross) and run mid to low 14's at the track. .
I have been able to get that rearend out there around corners in stock form. Try to spin the tires in a straight line and all I smell is clutch. Those tires and being RWD just gives it to much traction for the power it has. Maybe the typical bolt ons (cai, catback, ecm tune, headers) will get you where you want to be... around 160-165whp (which I think is about 210-215bhp)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have to disagree... I think the sky is the perfect car for the speed freak. The aftermarket is really picking up for the sol/sky... I happen to be a speed freak, I'm just one without any money :nonod:

the cars looks can't be beat.. its handling is top notch... it has everything except speed. This car fits many different personality types... albeit, it does take a few bucks to get the speed out of it... but everything so far has been bolt on... even the turbo has been installed by the garage mechanic (don't know if I would do that). Just my opinion, but I think the sky is very universal. I can't imagine driving this thing around with a mallet V8!!!!

it offers something for everyone.
You bring up a great point. Many of us are not looking for a speed racer but are very happy with the "peppy" little SKY. What makes this (and the Sol) great is with a bit of aftermarket - the speed can be expanded. Saturn (and Pontiac) don't have to have two or three motors (although now with RL/GXP they do have two motors) to "upgrade" yet still be stock. Face it the racers amongst us would STILL mod the engines. The car fits well right into the slot. I would imagine of SKY is successful that there will be more choices etc and the niche will be filled even better

·
Registered
119 Posts
wait for and buy a redline for the extra cash you get a real factory warrantied car with all the bells and wistles stanard ( except leather and chrome ) ((dont buy the chrome wheels polished look great)) . better suspension . Stabilitrak . better tires , dual exhaust , differnt gear ratios ( the base model third gear is a doooooggg..... the base car is gutless!!

patience is a virture

·
Registered
232 Posts
wait for and buy a redline for the extra cash you get a real factory warrantied car with all the bells and wistles stanard ( except leather and chrome ) ((dont buy the chrome wheels polished look great)) . better suspension . Stabilitrak . better tires , dual exhaust , differnt gear ratios ( the base model third gear is a doooooggg..... the base car is gutless!!

patience is a virture
I ordered a RL, will I be disappointed after driving a Trans Am? I am hoping that we will be happy with the turbo 4, still have the vette for a different feel. I haven't seen any comparisons or write ups that can id the difference. I know it's not going to be the V8 grunt. The 0-60 is about the same.

Regards

·
Registered
483 Posts
I ordered a RL, will I be disappointed after driving a Trans Am? I am hoping that we will be happy with the turbo 4, still have the vette for a different feel. I haven't seen any comparisons or write ups that can id the difference. I know it's not going to be the V8 grunt. The 0-60 is about the same.

Regards
I have a Trans Am too, and my SKY is the base model. I actually enjoy driving the SKY more. It requires that you rev the snot out of it to take off quickly, but it's not bad. The RL should fit your needs quite nicely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts