Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an overheating issue and I am starting to think that my water pump isn't working right. It seems like I'm just not getting water flow on the back side of the pump. Can I just take the line off that runs from the tube on the back of the water pump to the heater core and see if I am getting any flow?

Things I have tried -
What's in the DDM bleeding video
What's in the MikeMartin bleeding video
Bought a vacuum fill tool and used that
Replaced thermostat (that does appear to have been stuck, when I put it in water it didn't open until the water was at a rolling boil)

I am wondering if something like this happened:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f24/really-bad-news-84866/index3.html#post1191826

No matter what I do I don't get any heat, either.

Thanks,
Douglas

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
I seem to recall another thread and it would have probably been best to continue it there. If you're getting no heat and the car is overheating you have a flow issue. Since you replaced the thermostat, the pump or a blockage in the system would be the next culprits.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I seem to recall another thread and it would have probably been best to continue it there. If you're getting no heat and the car is overheating you have a flow issue. Since you replaced the thermostat, the pump or a blockage in the system would be the next culprits.
Yeah, I mentioned my overheating in Need2Speed2's thread when discussing the dash warning light but this is the only thread I have on it and don't want to jack his.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Water Pump Whine

I just had my water pump replaced after finding a large puddle of coolant in the garage in the morning. Left it with a local mechanic. When I picked it up and started it the dreaded whining was there. I gave him the keys back and said the timing chain tensioner needs to be reset (as per the various feeds on this and other forums). He said to just drive it and it will get better. I said I'll send you the feeds, TSB and various other material when I get home. Still waiting to hear from him.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had my water pump replaced after finding a large puddle of coolant in the garage in the morning. Left it with a local mechanic. When I picked it up and started it the dreaded whining was there. I gave him the keys back and said the timing chain tensioner needs to be reset (as per the various feeds on this and other forums). He said to just drive it and it will get better. I said I'll send you the feeds, TSB and various other material when I get home. Still waiting to hear from him.
That's the thing, mine isn't leaking or else I would be just replacing the water pump.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to hear from him. You've already gotten his answer. Time to escalate if you can, but if you already took the car home you are probably SOL.

:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to hear from him. You've already gotten his answer. Time to escalate if you can, but if you already took the car home you are probably SOL.

From reading his post, I got the impression he just started the car, heard the whine, shut it down and handed the keys back immediately.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
From reading his post, I got the impression he just started the car, heard the whine, shut it down and handed the keys back immediately.
While I had a different impression, but, on re-reading it, I do believe you are correct. He did not drive the car home.

·
Registered
98 Posts
A little off track question but as the second owner of a 2007 Sky redline that I purchased from a dealer several states away from me, is there an obvious way to tell if my water pump was previously replaced? I do not have the prior service records and the car is around 40k miles.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
A little off track question but as the second owner of a 2007 Sky redline that I purchased from a dealer several states away from me, is there an obvious way to tell if my water pump was previously replaced? I do not have the prior service records and the car is around 40k miles.

Thanks
If the water pump was replaced by a GM dealer, it should show up if a current GM dealer searches the service history. If it was replaced at a non-GM service site it may show up on a carfax report.

Who knows? you may get lucky, you may not!

·
Registered
70 Posts
GM vs AM

Is there any big advantage of a GM vs aftermarket? The GM versions all seem to fail so not seeing big advantage.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It would be very very rare for a water pump to fail in a mode to where it quit pumping water. You probably just have air in the system.

Larry

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I took the hose that runs from the tube that runs from the tube that runs under the turbo to the heater core, started the car and no coolant came out.

Hooked up the vacuum bleeder, made all kinds of gurgling noises from that hose and when I plugged it with my finger there was suction.

Filled the hole with coolant until it started to dribble out of the heater core, put the hose back on and started the car. Let it warm up to 130 or so and no warm air out of the heater.

Out of ideas as to what to check at this point outside of starting to tear it down to replace the water pump...

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
If the water pump was replaced by a GM dealer, it should show up if a current GM dealer searches the service history. If it was replaced at a non-GM service site it may show up on a carfax report.

Who knows? you may get lucky, you may not!

My son works for a GM dealer so he ran a car fax and a service history report, no mention of a pump replacement. I guess the original question I was asking is there any visual difference between the OEM pump and the replacement. I'm assuming that since there were so many pump failures GM might have made changes in the pump (part # change perhaps) that one could look for to see whether or not the pump is original.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My son works for a GM dealer so he ran a car fax and a service history report, no mention of a pump replacement. I guess the original question I was asking is there any visual difference between the OEM pump and the replacement. I'm assuming that since there were so many pump failures GM might have made changes in the pump (part # change perhaps) that one could look for to see whether or not the pump is original.
...but why does it matter? The GM OEM pumps seem to fail on every vehicle. Just replaced mine and then had a week long argument with the mechanic to fix the timing chain squealing. Once he actually listened and read the material I sent him he fixed the issue - no more squealing and aftermarket pump. Car sounds better than it did before.

·
Registered
98 Posts
...but why does it matter? The GM OEM pumps seem to fail on every vehicle. Just replaced mine and then had a week long argument with the mechanic to fix the timing chain squealing. Once he actually listened and read the material I sent him he fixed the issue - no more squealing and aftermarket pump. Car sounds better than it did before.
Again, since I don't have the repair history, It would be nice to know whether or not this one particular part that seems to eventually fail has been replaced. You know, for a little peace of mind. If it has not been replaced then with my miles I would probably go ahead and bite the bullet and change it. If it has already been changed, by being able to identify some marking or number then I won't have to bother.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, so back on topic.... the chain on the water pump shouldn't be loose, right? I can't really see in there but I reached in and wiggled the chain... and it was definitely not tight. I figured it should be under tension.

I'm thinking the issue isn't my water pump but the chain that drives it or the sprocket on the other end... same type of issue that TonyRedline had. Just crazy that I'd have the issue at basically exactly the same time. I also had a cam adjuster fail just before this all happened, just like he had right afterwards...

·
Registered
17,354 Posts
Ok, so back on topic.... the chain on the water pump shouldn't be loose, right? I can't really see in there but I reached in and wiggled the chain... and it was definitely not tight. I figured it should be under tension.

I'm thinking the issue isn't my water pump but the chain that drives it or the sprocket on the other end... same type of issue that TonyRedline had. Just crazy that I'd have the issue at basically exactly the same time. I also had a cam adjuster fail just before this all happened, just like he had right afterwards...
All this is above my pay grade but best of luck with repairs....I personally would not upgrade my engine for speed or have it tuned. Not worth the aggravation.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts