Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Delurk mode enabled -

WARNING Long-winded mode enabled - I haven't posted much if anything to the forum so forgive me this one long winded spewing....

I just wanted to say thanks to ALL in this forum for the words, procedures, ideas, complaints, praises, stories (whether good or bad) and encouragement. Much of the info in these pages was very helpful, some was EXTREMELY helpful and some was well....not all that helpful (as can be expected), but nonetheless, this forum and its participants, sponsers, etc. are a fantastic source for those looking to learn about the Saturn Sky and how to get one! THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help!

One Saturday back in March of this year, my wife and I were out having breakfast. She had been making noises about buying a new car and (for selfish reasons) I had been steering her (pun intended) towards a new Mustang convertible. When we pulled up to the local breakfast joint I like (really good pancakes), we parked next to a brand new 2006 Ford Mustang Convertible. Like me, she liked the way it looked, but mentioned something about seeing an ad on TV for a Saturn Sky. I didn't think they were being made yet, but I knew Pontiac was producing the Solstice so on the way home I stopped at the local Pontiac dealer who happened to have a Solstice in the showroom. I thought it'd be fun for her to see the Solstice. She sat it in and liked the basic overall feel (she was driving a 12 year old Grand Marquis bought from her parents so we're talking a big change here). She's pretty practical and said she'd never have any interest in a two-seat roadster so I didn't think this would go far..... the $5,000 "market adjustment" tacked onto the price of the Pontiac didn't help matters, but then again, I'd never buy a car from this particular dealer anyway. She asked me to get her some info about the Sky. I stopped by our Saturn Dealer (name withheld per forum rules although I'd recommend them highly based on the experience my Mom has had with her 1997 Saturn SW2). We looked over the option and price sheets and I showed her the Saturn Sky Website. A week later while eating dinner, she asks me how to order a car. I told her what it entails and again, didn't think much of it. The following morning, she asks me if I'd take her out to dinner that night and if we could stop by and order her a 2007 Saturn Sky.....I thought she was pulling my leg. That afternoon, she called me at work and re-confirmed our "date".

That was on or about April 10, 2006. Not long after that, I happened upon this website which has made the wait alot more bearable and it has enlightened us to what we needed to expect (or not to expect as the case may be). I guess the old adage "knowledge is power" holds true here.

We stopped by or received weekly updates from our dealer. Knowing about VOMS and Status Codes allowed us to walk into the dealership with a little bit of knowledge when initially started looking for updates. Our dealer actually seemed to enjoy emailing us with weekly status reports probably due in part to the fact that they could do it "on their time" rather than when we walked in the door.

July 18, 2006, my wife's order went 3800. I believe hers was the 5,671 Sky produced. Three days later, we left for two weeks of vacation. Based on what I'd been reading here, I told my wife there was "NO WAY" that car was going to be in the dealership before we got back. One (1), Uno, Ein, Une week later, the car was at the dealership!! When (I) got the call on my cell phone, we were sitting in kayaks on a lake in the Adirondacks of NY (six hours from home). Needless to say, going home at the end of vacation was actually fun for the first time in my life 'cause the "other three-quarters" was going to finally get her Sky.

Yesterday, August 5th, she took delivery of a 2007 Saturn Sky in Silver Pearl with LSD, MP3 single CD upgrade, Premium Trim and A/T.

It now has over 100 miles, all of them with me as passenger. I don't think I've ridden 100 miles with her driving in the 10 years we've been together! I've actually sort of enjoyed not being a designated driver for a weekend!! Jealous? Me? Naw, I've got my 2001 Fraud...er...Flawed Focus to drive/push for another couple of years....

I'll sign off. Again, sorry for the long-winded post.

THANKS AGAIN to all for your help! This forum is GREAT!

Das Puckster
Southern, NJ (hint - the side near the beaches)

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
puckster2003 said:
Delurk mode enabled -
I'll sign off. Again, sorry for the long-winded post.
Well don't stop now!!
Keep us all posted on how it goes.
Congrats on the car.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Shoo, that wert no long winded essay. Iffen yall want a long story, let me tell yall about the adventures of my dogs....Skip....:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Welcome aboard from Minnesota!

and Congrats!!! You both will have many happy hours driving this car!

Now for a road trip or two!

Chris :cheers:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Congrats on the car, but be sure to drive also, I am sure your wife won't mind. :lol: By the way, looks almost like the same car I am getting, I hope my wait between produced and delivery is as short.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yesterday, August 5th, she took delivery of a 2007 Saturn Sky in Silver Pearl with LSD, MP3 single CD upgrade, Premium Trim and A/T.

Congratulations :cheers: and welcome to the Sky family. Your going to love this site, and of course the Sky. Keep posting, let us know when she finally let's you drive!!

Theresa

·
Registered
36 Posts
BIG CONGRATS!!

Sounds like my car and I can tell you that will just LOVE it!!

I let me husband drive (then smile and say "and please put some gas in it while you're out" :D )

Where in NJ are you?? My hubby is from Williamstown.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Congrats! :cheers: Now lets see if you can pry her out of that car long enough to let you drive. Happy driving

·
Registered
478 Posts
Great story, not too long at all. But just remember, it's her car! I don't let me wife drive mine and to be fair I don't ask to driver her station wagon (and not driving it is pure torture). :lol:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Happy trails .... :driving:

staying in touch can still be good for you and us ...
we learn from all others and each other .... :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Congrats! We love Sky stories. My husband has gone thru a little of what you have. I ordered my Sky while my man was skiining in Utah. It was a surprise, and he handled it well, in the end. He knew I had been shopping for a two-seater, but this is the first time I carshopped, purchased and handled the deal for a car on my own. When the dealer got the first demo in it was red. While having breakfast, I told him we needed to check it out, he not knowing I had ordered. We went in and my saleslady was not there, and the man who was there recognized me as a buyer and looked confused when Mike was asking questions like he was going to buy the car. The salesman finally screwed up his eyebrows with this confused look and asked me, "Isn't yours going to be black ( I had not picked silver at the time) with automatic?" Well, my guy about had a fit. He just grinned, "She ORDERED one of these?" and the cat was OUT of the bag. I expected delivery around this time, and got it one month early, but I had planned to take delivery while he was out of the country! He was sort of weirded out at first, but then realized it was nice not to be the guy who has to do everything for a change..and I like it when he gets to drive it too! :cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts