Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Chevy HAD to step up to the plate so they can try to compete w/ the big names in that market. Selling the older 'vettes (affordable for my Dad, but not nearly for me) for the price they were, they weren't ever going to be able to compete. I think most 'vettes are great-looking. The early post '84 ones are pigs to look at - I never cared much for the looks of them even if they are the ones I got to drive - but compared to the other cars at the time... I like the looks of the new one pictured above, and as lorennerol was trying to point out the form of this one follows its function. It's more car than most would ever need, and I love my Sky because it's Goldilocks: most everything about it is "just right" for me. I'd like to see pics of the different trims of the Stringray.

All that said, would I rather have this 'vette or an i8? I want a car I can drive on trips, so I'm not sure I'd choose either of them. What do I know though, I'm one of the 6 people on the planet that actually like the Panamera.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
would I rather have this 'vette or an i8? I want a car I can drive on trips, so I'm not sure I'd choose either of them. What do I know though, I'm one of the 6 people on the planet that actually like the Panamera.
The Panamera is an odd car. It doesn't look that nice (to me), it is pretty heavy (well over two tons fo the turbo version and over 5,000 lbs in the turbo S) yet it has performance like a super car. I want a 928 with a turbo S Panamera engine, but I expect it wouldn't fit....

·
Premium Member
5,127 Posts
Sometimes we must admit that our tastes are not that of the rest of the world. I have had some cars that I thought were really cool, others turned their noses up almost intantly. My guess is that they will sell every one of the 2019 Corvettes. Many will love them.

I had a Fiat Abarth, one of the original land speed record holder replicas. I thought it was really a neat car, quite fast for what it was. A TR4 which at the time I thought it was fantastic, most of my friends thought I was an idiot. I loved the 1969 Charger, most back them thought they were grandma's car. Hated the Super Birds, now they are worth 100's of thousdands of dollars. Most that bought them, too the dumb assed wing off of them. Now witht he popularity of Neckcar, they are gold.

I have realized what I like means nothing, it is what people will buy and the marketing to get it done. Can you believe anyone would buy a Smart car?

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I liked the 60's and early 70's corvette looks, but they were not great cars.

Anything after that never appealed to me. Don't waste your money buying a new Corvette. they are one of the least driven cars on the street, so Just wait 2 years and get one with less than 5000 miles for significantly cheaper. There are tons of used ones for sale and this lated batch will be no different.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
YOU r right...go into any Chevy dealership....I don't understand why they buy them and then dump them in less than 2 years. Actually I do! It is not a good looking car. Perhaps performance but certainly not stylish.

And just as an aside...while u sit and wait for your car for an oil change, many Vettes come in with issues...they are made just as bad as ours. GM does not get it.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Yup very true.

So i have broken the 1 year mark on my Alfa and it has been extremely reliable. Zero issues and my body panels all line up still.
Lol

Yearly service is kinda expensive but not outlandish.
Needed to have all the nuts that are attached to bolts on the carbon fiber tub Re-torqued. This is due to the CF flexing. It’s an 8 hr job. Changing the oil is also a bit of a pita as the entire underside of my car has interlocking plates. So a couple of those have to come off before you have access to the drain plug and filter. Apparently I had a ton of fun this year as I had next to no tread left on my rear tires, but they are 200UTQ Pirellis. The price for traction
Hahaha

·
Registered
317 Posts
The Panamera is an odd car. It doesn't look that nice (to me), it is pretty heavy (well over two tons fo the turbo version and over 5,000 lbs in the turbo S) yet it has performance like a super car. I want a 928 with a turbo S Panamera engine, but I expect it wouldn't fit....
It IS odd. I had no idea it weighed so much. I DO know that the interior (esp the comfort of the seats), is sorted IMO. If I needed a DD to haul people around, and if I could afford it I would have one. I'd probably live in it: I'd be looking for excuses to take roadtrips more than I already do. I'm unsure on the looks, but it's just odd enough that it suits my odd taste in things.

People that thumb their nose at the Abarth don't know what they're looking at. I drove a Smart when I was in Greece, and it was perfect for what I needed it for. Good-looking? No. After driving one from St. Louis past KC, I wouldn't EVER drive one anywhere other than around a city/town.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Oh come on, Emmett, some people like the ricer Honda look... just not me...

and the ricer itself...

I see more similarities to this:

The new Vette has had performance numbers rivaling "super" cars for a few generations now... Might as well start to look like one. :cheers:

Minus the obvious lack of any need for huge side or roof vents :lol:

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
I see more similarities to this:

The new Vette has had performance numbers rivaling "super" cars for a few generations now... Might as well start to look like one. :cheers:

Minus the obvious lack of any need for huge side or roof vents :lol:
Did u read the original post...it was not about performance but design...

·
Registered
317 Posts
For some brands the 2 can't be seperated. Function dictates much of the form. Does an Si Honda need it? I don't know, but if you're wanting to remind the public that a car they can afford has some of the same styling as the flagship car of your brand then you'd better have some styling cues that remind the buyer of that car.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
On the 2019 Corvette, I agree that the transformer toy styling does nothing at all for me, but if GM is correct (it happens, if rarely) there are more people out there that will like it, than not.

To me, there is absolutely no comparison between that angular, and yes, ugly styling and the simple pure styling of cars ike this:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't know...I"m partial to the general understatement of Ferrari, but I'd think that many (not you necessarily, wspohn) would feel differently if the 'vette (and the others) were debadged. The "blind taste test" might change minds. BTW, wspohn, did you put those pics in order of preference? I'd rank them that way, that's why I ask.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
BTW, wspohn, did you put those pics in order of preference? I'd rank them that way, that's why I ask.
Indeed I did!

Not as happy about the Maser eggcrate grille nor the nostril on the nose of the Merc.

I'll add another one - current Vantage - think the grille could have been done a bit better, but still much nicer than the Vette.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts